Jay-Z Remembers 9/11, Gears Up For Benefit Concert
As the eighth anniversary of 9/11 nears, Jay-Z–rapper, executive, and philanthropist–confirmed his commitment to New York and her saviors, in a round table conference at Madison Square Garden last Monday (August 31). Hov told BallerStatus of his horror, watching footage of the twin towers collapsing.
“I was in Los Angeles, shooting a video for ‘Girls, Girls, Girls’. The album (The Blueprint) was supposed to come out the next day. I got a call, and a friend of mine said ‘Turn your TV on.’ I turned the TV on and saw the World Trade Center on fire,” recalled Jay-Z.
And yet, in the midst of unfolding tragedy, the rapper also felt a burgeoning pride, in New York, and in the strength and courage of the “first responders” — many of whom sacrificed their lives in the hours that followed the attacks.
“This is my chance to do something to help out,” declared Jay-Z, sitting alongside the Governor of New York, as he expounded on his passion for protecting those who’ve helped America.
As previously reported, the rapper/entrepreneur is performing at Madison Square Garden on the 11th of September, with all proceeds being donated to New York Police and Fire Widows’ and Children’s Benefit Fund. Underwritten by ABSOLUT Vodka and Citi, the “Answer The Call” concert will air commercial-free on Fuse TV, on the night, and is expected to raise between $750,000 and $1,000,000 to support the families of fallen fire-fighters and policemen, according to organizers.
The concert coincides with the release of Jay-Zs new album, The Blueprint 3. The concert will be the first live performances of new music from the new project.
Tickets go on sale on the 8th of September, and are priced at $50 each, for, in Jays words, “a chance to be part of history.”
Perhaps Jay’s passion for philanthropy is summarized best in the words of his long-time friend and associate, the legendary record executive Kevin Liles, who noted: “We do it for love.”