Mayweather, Pacquiao Fight Still A No-Go, Fighters Ordered To Take Drug Tests

News

By: Vibe / December 29, 2009

The controversy surrounding a possible mega-fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao continues.

Although Pac-Man has rejected Mayweather’s request for Olympic-style drug testing, citing superstition, the Nevada State Athletic Commission has now announced that they’re ordering both fighters to take immediate out-of-competition urine tests to be completed by Wednesday (December 30).

According to the LA Times, Nevada Athletic Commission Chairman Pat Lundvall ordered Executive Director Keith Kizer to point Mayweather and Pacquiao to accredited drug-testing labs in the United States and Philippines.

“It’s a start,” he told the paper. “Whether it’s the end, I don’t know.”

This week, Mayweather’s camp issued a prepared statement saying that drug testing was just one of many deal points made between to the two camps, including the financial split, the weight, gloves, and so on. They claim to have made “major concessions in many of these areas and we were optimistic that Team Pacquiao would do the same.”

“It is disappointing for us to see that the benefits of blood testing and the fact that many different substances and procedures can only be detected by blood testing, are still not fully understood by all,” the statement read.

“Their ‘take it or leave it’ approach where blood testing would stop 30 days prior to the fight unless the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) approved differently is another indication that they may not want this fight.”

According to their statement, Pacquiao had blood drawn just 14 days before his May fight against Ricky Hatton, so their requests shouldn’t be out of the question.

It’s currently unclear where the possibility of the fight stands at the present time.

According to Reuters, Manny Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum is ready to choose another opponent after failing to reach a deal in the bout against Mayweather.

The news organization says talks had stalled over the blood testing issues, and set a Monday deadline for Golden Boy to accept a “final offer” in which both sides let the Nevada State Athletic Commission make the final decision on testing.

Now that the Commission had made an immediate testing decision, it’s still unknown what they will decide for the actual fight, if it takes place.

Both camps don’t want to budge though.

“Random is random. We are not backing off and the ball is in their court,” Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, said.

Arum, on the other hand, says if that’s where Team Mayweather stands, they will announce another opponent for March. “If that is the case then tomorrow morning we will announce who Manny will fight on March 13 and it won’t be Floyd Mayweather,” Arum told Reuters.

Arum had previously identified former junior welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi as the likely replacement for Mayweather, but tells Reuters that it would be a blow to the sport not to have the bout take place.

“It’s terrible. Mayweather and his people have never cared about the good of boxing and it is Manny that has brought boxing back. Is this a loss for boxing? Is this a missed opportunity? Of course it is,” he said.

Stay tuned…