Ways for Naturals to Combat Oily Hair
Most people would not think of natural hair as being oily, but Seborrhoe, the medical term for oily hair can occur within all hair types — kinky, curly or straight. Seborrhoe occurs when the sebaceous glands, which are located at the base of each hair shaft, produce too much sebum. Oily hair can also be caused by poor hygiene and diet. There are several things you can do to combat oily hair.
Tips for combating oily hair
* Shampoo every other day.
* Rinse on the off day, add essential oils like lavender as a freshener. Remember to rinse with cool water to close the hair cuticles.
* Try to avoid using conditioner on your roots and scalp, instead concentrate on your ends.
* Avoid using styling products containing silicone.
* Don’t brush your hair often, since brushing helps spreading oil throughout your hair.
* Avoid fried and spicy foods. Liberal consumption natural oil secretion of the body gets stimulated and oil hair looks even more oil and frizzy as a result. Add more vegetables to your diet.
At Home Recipes
– 1/2 teaspoon Aloe Vera gel (squeeze gel out of Aloe Vera plant)
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice . Blend ingredients together with 1/4 cup of your regular hair shampoo. Wash hair then rinse well use cool water for your final rinse.
– 1/4 cup unscented mild, natural shampoo 1/4 cup sage tea, cooled and strained 15 drops cedar wood essential oil 15 drops lavender essential oil. Combine all ingredients and shake well before using. Shampoo and rinse with cool water.
To make a dry shampoo for oily hair, combine 1 tbsp. of cornstarch, 1 tbsp. of baking soda, and 1 tbsp. of dry oatmeal. Blend together in a food processor or blender until very fine. Take 1 tsp. of this mixture, bend over a sink with your hair hanging forward, and apply the powder mixture into your scalp near the roots. Gently massage into the scalp and hair. Brush out the dry shampoo thoroughly.
Tea and Lemon Rinse
Brew tea (sage, chamomile, tea tree, eucalyptus) and add the juice of two fresh lemons (you can substitute with lemon juice). Let cool and message on scalp and leave on for 20 mins to 30 mins and rinse with cool water. This rinse can even be left in.
2 teaspoons of white vinegar and ¼ cup of water. Message on scalp and leave on for ½ hour and rinse. – You actually do not have to rinse this if you use more water and less vinegar – about one cap-full to one cup of water.
- Laquita Thomas-Banks