Tippi Shorter’s Top 10 Hair Tips
Celebrity hairstylist Tippi Shorter is a go-to for “big sexy healthy hair.” Whether she’s styling the manes of Alicia Keys or Jennifer Hudson, Tippi’s work is consistent, and for the last 15 years, she has never left a strand hanging. But you don’t have to be a superstar to have Tippi’s signature big sexy healthy hair. VIXEN caught up with the hair chief herself.
Tippi dishes her top 10 tips for healthy and winning tresses!
1. Clean your hair brushes 2 times a week to prevent oil build up.
2. To help repair and deeply condition hair, put a damp towel in the microwave for 45 seconds and apply to hair with conditioner for an instant treatment.
3. Spray hairspray on brush for better distribution of spray.
4. Store leave-in conditioner in the fridge. Once applied, it will help close the hair shaft cuticle.
5. When teasing hair, always leave the front section out, so you don’t see through the hair.
6. Always detangle hair while wet or damp to prevent breakage.
7. Apply pomade with a toothbrush to keep fly aways in check. .
8. If you don’t have dry shampoo or baby powder on hand, you can wash just the top portion of your hair that’s oily. Part your hair where it’s oiliest and secure the rest with a ponytail. Wash and dry just the top half and your hair will look fresh again.
9. If flat ironing, power dry your hair with hands instead of with a brush. This helps prevents additional stress on hair.
10. After blow-drying your hair, switch to the cool setting, flip your head over, and aim the nozzle around randomly for a few minutes. This creates pockets of air between the strands so they look extra full.
Learn more about Tippi Shorter here!
Hair Repair Avon-Style:
- Avon Advance Techniques Split End Mender ($8.00)
– Avon Advance Techniques Daily Shine Smooth & Shine Capsules ($8.00)
– Avon Advance Techniques Dry Ends Serum ($8.00)
– Cushion Brush ($9.00)