The Vixen Guide To Weaves
There is nothing like a good weave. Finding the best hair in the perfect cut can not only enhance your look, but transform you into another woman. The main purpose of wearing extensions is to enhance your hair to its fullest potential, not to cause breakage and harm to your natural hair.
Unfortunately, all weaves are not created equal. Some don’t last long and, without care, they can cause major breakage for your natural hair. VIBE Vixen chatted with Ericka Dotson, Co-founder and Creative Director of Indique Virgin Hair Extensions, to get the 411 on hair extensions!
When choosing hair:
- Choose a length in hair extensions that you will feel comfortable in.
- Create your signature style by blending textures with 100% human hair. For example, combining wavy hair with curly gives you an easy wash-and-go style. A relaxed texture combined with straight will give you the perfect blend with lots
- Choose textures that work for your lifestyle. Do you work out? Do you like low maintenance hair? Ask yourself these questions when selecting. You can also opt for clip-in extensions for a temporary style.
- Think about how often you would want to change your style with your extensions. For a natural part, leave some of your natural hair out. For alternating between lots of body and sleek strands, opt for curly or wavy textures.
- Don’t be afraid of color! Choose a color that compliments your skin tone and one that you can easily maintain.
Hair extension care:
- Maintenance is key. Treat your extensions as you would your natural hair. However, you should take your extensions down every eight weeks. Every six months, you should also give your hair a break from extensions for at least two to four weeks.
- Avoid hairline breakage at all costs! Take care of your natural hair. Try to leave out ample hair around the edges to avoid added tension around your hairline. Tight braids applied close to your hairline with tracks sewn on them can easily break or cause further damage, like tractional alopecia.
- When getting extensions, always use premium hair. Using 100% virgin Indian hair, with cuticles running in one direction, from root to tip, will ensure that you will be able to reuse the hair multiple times.
- These types of products will weigh the hair down and make your hair extensions stiff so avoid at all costs:
- Oil sheens
- Products containing alcohol
- Heavy leave-in conditioners
- Shampoo hair in the shower in a downward motion to keep hair from tangling. Air dry or use a diffuser for curly hair, for straight styles use your blow dryer and a vent brush and flat iron until sleek. Make sure your base braids are fully dry to avoid braid mildew.
-Tunisia Z. Wilson