Director Sam Mendes Turns Down ‘James Bond 24′

Movies & TV

| March 6, 2013 - 5:51 pm

Who will step up to carry the 007 franchise into the 21st Century?

Director Sam Mendes earned Oscar award applause for the job he did with Daniel Craig on Skyfall. One would think that with the Broccoli family’s blessings, Mendes would do a cinematic trilogy, of sorts, and cement James Bond’s legacy as the man with a license to kill.

Guess the answer is no.

Sam turned down the chance to make the next Bond film (Bond 24) so he can give his “complete focus” to his work in the theatre. The Oscar winner, who was praised for his work directing Daniel Craig as 007 in Skyfall, said it had been “a very difficult decision” not to direct the next film.

The success of the picture was no fluke, as it was the top-grossing Bond film of all time having earned more than $1.1 billion at the global box office. Mendes withdrawal from the picture leaves a few questions up in the air. “It has been a very difficult decision not to accept Michael and Barbara’s very generous offer to direct the next Bond movie,” Mendes said, referring to Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson.

“I have theatre and other commitments,” Mendes told Empire Magazine, “including productions of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and King Lear, that need my complete focus over the next year and beyond.”

King Lear will see Mendes work at the National Theatre, while his stage musical version of the Roald Dahl story sees him return to West End. Either way, the box office will be bountiful for Mendes and co. in 2013!

Props: Yahoo! Movies