Al Pacino Drops Out Of ‘Despicable Me 2′

Movies & TV

By: / May 7, 2013

Al Pacino has left the building, folks.

The “Despicable Me 2″ building that is. Deadline has confirmed that Pacino, Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment have parted ways on the project.Originally set to provide the voice of the film’s villain, Eduardo, in the sequel, the studio says “creative differences” were to blame for the split.

“Over the production of Despicable Me 2, there were creative differences between us and Al Pacino, who had been cast as the voice of Eduardo in the film,” the studio said in a statement. We have mutually decided with Al to replace the voice of Eduardo with a new actor. Universal and Illumination thank Al for his many contributions to the process and look forward to a new actor bringing this memorable character to the screen upon its release this summer.”

The first “Despicable Me” was released in 2010 and grossed over $540 million worldwide on a $69 million budget, making it one of Universal’s most lucrative ever. Chris Renaud and Pierre Coffin are directing the new film.