Vince Giordano And The Nighthawks “Sugarfoot Stomp” Pete Rock Remix From Boardwalk Empire (First Listen)
In anticipation for its fourth season, HBO hit series Boardwalk Empire drops a brand new music project with Giant Step, ABKCO Records and Sony Music that possesses the classic sounds of the Prohibition Era “jazzed up” with remixes from producing legends such as Pete Rock and DJ Jazzy Jeff. Sound Of The Onyx (named after Chalky White’s new joint, The Onyx Club) may be the start of a new music sensation of ‘jazz rap,’ producing an intoxicating new sound of sublime vintage jazz recordings reworked into a more modern day urban vibe.
Get a preview with the VIBE premiere of Pete Rock’s remix of “Sugarfoot Stomp,” originally played by New Orleans jazz band Vince Giordano & The Nighthawks. The brassy flair of Giordano’s original composition gets a smooth boost thanks to Pete’s Brooklyn-based beats and fresh spin on old school number. The remix is the only one featuring a more contemporary recording while remaining remixes utilize actual vintage recordings from the 1920’s, all available exclusively via SoundCloud on September 16.
The series’ latest official soundtrack, Boardwalk Empire Volume 2: Music From The HBO Original Series, is on iTunes today via ABKCO Records, and be sure to watch the fourth season when it premieres on HBO this Sunday (September 8) at 9 p.m.
1. Vince Giordano & The Nighthawks “Sugarfoot Stomp” (Pete Rock Remix)
2. Eva Taylor & Clarence Williams’ Blue Five “Red Hot Flo From Kokomo (Jazz Vampires)” (DJ Jazzy Jeff Remix)
3. Ethel Waters “One Sweet Letter From You” (Om’Mas Keith Remix)
4. Lloyd Scott & His Orchestra “ Happy Hour Blues” (Shafiq Husayn Remix)
5. Jim Jackson “Bootlegging Blues” (JayCeeOh & B-Sides Remix)
6. Charlie Johnson’s Paradise Ten Orchestra “You Ain’t The One” (Tall Black Guy Remix)