Rihanna gave a rare, heartfelt and candid interview on Oprah’s Next Chapter last night. The superstar singer recounted her insecurities, her close relationship with her fans and revealed, for the first time, her relationship with ex-boyfriend Chris Brown. In case you missed it, we’ve rounded up the most shocking revelations from the sit down.
1. Rihanna: “It started off really…claustrophobic. I feel like I was really really protected. Really guarded with myself. I feel like they [Def Jam] were giving me the blueprint and I couldn’t get with that”-Rihanna on feeling stifled by her label early in her career.
2. “I do not think about things like that…I don’t really even understand that. It’s flattering. Inaccurate, but flattering”-being named Esquire’s “Sexiest Woman”
3. “I had to fake it till I made it. That’s what I had to do. I had to pretend that I was as comfortable. I really was not…I just felt like I had to fake it. I had to just go for it. In Barbados, we have a very sexual culture.”-on being comfortable in her own sexual skin.
4. “I’m 24. I can do that now. I can experiment and try things”-on being comfortable with her sexuality now.
5. “It’s amazing how lonely you can feel and like nobody understands…The moment you are vulnerable, someone always reaches out….They go through the same things. I want them to feel comfortable knowing that I have flaws as wells. I want them to know those flaws. I’m afraid of the pedestal…I want to be a peer to my fans”-Rihanna talks the importance of her fans, the Rihanna Navy.
6. “I was hurt the most. Nobody felt what I felt…It happened. It happened to me…It was embarrassing. It was humiliating. It was hurtful. I lost my best friend…Everything I knew, was switched in a night”-Rihanna remembers the night Chris Brown attacked her in 2009.
7. “I felt protective…as angry as I was…I just felt like he made that mistake because he needed help and who’s going to help him?”-Rihanna’s initial reaction to feeling bad for Chris.
8. “We’ve been working on our friendship again. Now we’re very very close friends. We built a trust again. We love each other and probably always will… I’m single but we’ve maintained a very close friendship”-On her current relationship with Chris.
9. “It’s awkward. It’s awkward because I still love him…My stomach drops and I have to maintain this poker face and not let it get to the outer part of me. I have to maintain that and suppress it”-on having funny feelings when she still sees Chris Brown (as recent as this summer in St. Tropez)
10. “Absolutely. I think he was the love of my life. He was the first love. I see that he loved me the same way. We were very young and very spontaneous. We ran free; we ran wild. We were falling in love and going at a really rapid pace that we forgot about ourselves”-Rihanna reveals that Chris Brown was a true love of her life.
11. “I truly love him so the main thing for me is that he is at peace. I’m not at peace if he’s a little unhappy or he’s still lonely…I care”-Rihanna on her now feelings for Chris Brown.
--Sowmya K (@SowmyaK)