Dental Drill Accident: Drill Bit Found In Woman’s Lung

News

/ December 28, 2012

As if you needed another reason to fear the dentist. A dental drill accident at an office in Sweden left a drill bit lodged in a woman’s lung – and it took her more than a month to recover.

The dental drill accident happened to a 60-year-old woman in Sweden. The woman was undergoing surgery when the dentist’s drill bit broke off. Before the dentist could act, the woman swallowed the drill bit, and it was too late to try and remove it manually.

An x-ray later showed that the 3-centimeter bit had lodged itself behind her right lung, which turned a dental drill accident into a dental drill disaster. Doctors immediately performed emergency surgery, removing the drill bit with a microscopic tube and pliers.

It took the woman more than a month to full recover after the dental drill accident – not exactly what the doctor ordered.