Today In SMH News: Toddler Accidentally Served Alcohol At Applebee’s

News

By: GangStarr Girl / April 11, 2011

A 15-month-old was hospitalized after sipping alcohol instead of apple juice at a Michigan Applebee’s.. 

Via CNN: Police were called to the Madison Heights restaurant on Friday evening after the parents of Dominic Wilson Jr. noticed their son acting strange during a family dinner.

“He was saying ‘hi’ and ‘bye’ to the walls,” said Wilson’s mother, Taylor Dill-Reese, 18. “He laid his head down like he was sleepy, then woke up and got really hyper.”

At first, Dill-Reese blamed his odd behavior on lack of sleep. But at the end of the meal, she said Wilson’s father was stunned by what he tasted after taking a sip of his son’s juice.

The juice was an alcoholic concoction that was stored in a mislabeled container, according to a Madison Heights Police Department news release.

“The container was apple juice but it had margarita mix in it,” Dill-Reese said.

Wilson was immediately rushed to the hospital, where his blood alcohol content was measured at 0.10, Dill-Reese said.

Doctors said if the boy had drank the whole cup he would have died. Dill-Reese said the child is doing OK but they are taking him to see a doctor because he’s not eating like he used to. Ironically, the child’s parents are under 21 and therefore aren’t allowed to drink. 

Police have deemed the incident an accident but are investigating. How much you think that lawsuit will go for? Applebee’s better get ready to pay up.