WTF News: Teen’s iPhone Catches Fire in Her Pocket

News

By: Iyana Robertson / February 1, 2014

A 13-year-old girl in Maine was treated for first and second-degree burns after her iPhone caught fire in her back pocket.

According to Jeff Rodman, the principal of Middle School of the Kennebucks where the incident took place, the unnamed student sat down in class when she heard a “pop” and smoke began to emit from her pants. Requesting that the boys in the class leave the room, the student removed her pants while a teacher retrieved a blanket and fire extinguisher.

ALSO SEE: My First-World Crisis: Choosing Between Spotify and Beats Music

The Kennebunk fire department is still investigating the fire, but one official believes the girl’s battery “shorted out” when she applied pressure by sitting on it.

Apple has not released a statement regarding this report.