1. Not going to lie. This is already better than initial expectations (and trust, they were pretty low…I’m talking Justin-Timberlake-making-a-Public Enemy-tribute-album low). “Rebel Way” aims to kick things off with the understanding that Snoop Lion is indeed serious about his artistic leap into all things reggae. Even the lyrics are no-bullshit, forthright: “Time is moving fast…old dreams will fade for the new ones made/Nothing stays the same…do it the rebel way…”
2. “Here Comes the King” delivers mixed results. On the one hand, the old school reggae guitar riff is flat out smile inducing. Pretty infectious stuff.
3. Cons? Vocalist Angela Hunte sounds like she’s a 13-years-old singing in front of the mirror. And “Here Comes the King” comes off like an outtake from a Yo Gabba Gabba! episode. “I heard a voice, he said that I would understand/One king, one faith, one religion…” Nah Snoop. That ain’t God. That’s just the weed talking.
4. There’s some righteous organ happening on “So Long.” You can definitely skank to this one. Shocking!
5. Good to hear Mavado put down his burner for just a minute to talk about peace and love on “Lighters Up.”