6. “Bow Down” (now titled “***Flawless”) aged well. Seems like she was listening to the backlash from the feminists—Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie drops some powerful words about feminism. Replacing “I Been On” was a smart decision, too. Boasts of “smack that chick” would be way out of place here.
7. There are some great intangibles here. From Adichie’s aforementioned TED Talk on contemporary feminism appearance to baby Blue vocals to kid Bey’s acceptance speech.
8. TLC vs. Destiny’s Child debates never grow tired. But Bey takes a page out of T-Boz, Left Eye and Chilli’s book on “Pretty Hurts.” It’s an insightful take on self-image.
9. Mary J. Blige has Brook Lynn. Brandy has Bran' Nu. And here, we meet ‘Yonce, Beyoncé’s rapping alter ego. “I sneezed on the beat and the beat got sicker.” Bey got some bars, ha!
10. Have we ever heard Beyoncé this crass? “Let me sit this ass/On you,” she demands on “Rocket,” which feels like an update to D’Angelo’s “How Does It Feel?”