1. Never leave all the business to your manager or agents. Don't be afraid to shake hands with promoters or club owners. Be very involved in the business and creative.The most successful people are involved in both.
2. Make sure to pick the right clubs and the right opportunities that are going to help build the fan base that you're looking for. In the beginning, it's all about exposure but people have the tendency to be typecast. If you're trying to be the biggest hip hop DJ don't do the bougie bottle service clubs.
3. Brand yourself in a unique way, get a great logo. Since technology has leveled the playing field, you need something to separate you from the pack. Brand yourself appropriately.
4. Practice, practice, practice. Work on your skills because the competition is so heavy, you are easily replaceable by an upcoming DJ. You can easily be replaced by an iPod or a mix.
5. Selection - you have access to the world's largest record store, which is the internet. You can download a record stores worth of music in minutes. If you're playing the same music as the next man, what purpose do you serve? You should be really pushing the boundaries.