1. Practice on turntables, scratching or mixing everyday and practice on CDjs
2. Be as knowledgeable on every genre and periods of music as you can. Try to discover new music
3. Always go out to hear DJs.
4. Practice out - go hustle, knock on doors. Bars, clubs, lounges , where there's people there's music, where there's music, there can be a DJ. You have to get out there and start playing, you can play at home but when you go out it's different.
5. Have fun - if you're not having fun they aren't either.