omarion

Omarion Says "No Bad Blood" With Young Money

As with shotgun weddings and annulments, an artist's time on a record label can be fleeting. Just two months after R&B singer Omarion signed to Lil Wayne's Young Money Entertainment in early June came the news that he was leaving to run his own imprint, Starworld Entertainment under EMI Records.

While some initially thought the former B2K frontman was dropped--suspicions that arose after his single, "I Get It In," leaked to the Internet, shortly followed by a tweet from Young Money President Mack Maine stating that Omarion was "no longer with Young Money"--Omarion quickly skirted the rumor in a statement, also denying his involvement in the song's leaking.

"I remember [Mack Maine] tweeting. He didn't say I got dropped. He didn't say anything," Omarion tells VIBE. "I think because I haven't been on the scene for a long time, people sometimes forget my history and forget that I had a career before Young Money. I've been in B2K, I've had a successful solo career, so nobody can 'drop me,' so to speak."

The singer further maintains that he and Wayne remain on good speaking terms despite the sudden departure.

"We spoke and he pretty much was like, 'Do what you wanna do and do your thing,'" says Omarion. "It's no bad blood. It's business."

Since the news of his leaving also came days after Bow Wow announced signing to Cash Money, some speculated friction between the pair, who released a collaborative effort, Face Off, in 2007. Omarion denies any animosity there, too, calling Bow Wow a "good friend."

"Business wise, Young Money and Cash Money are two totally separate entities. Wayne has his group of artists and Cash Money has its group of artists," says O. "It is one big family but Bow Wow, he's under Birdman. That didn't have anything to do with me wanting to be released."

Following B2K's disbandment in 2004, Omarion dropped two solo projects, briefly linking with Timbaland for one of his biggest singles, "Ice Box." More recently, he was featured on "Bria's Interlude" from Young Money rapper Drake's February mixtape, So Far Gone, and popped up on an early version of Young Money's new single, "Bedrock." Now prepping the release of his third solo album, Ollusion, due November 24, Omarion-who turns 25 that month-says he's ready to step out on his own after being under the management of others for much of his career.

"The whole Young Money situation was a really, really great idea in the beginning," he explains. "But when I really started to think about the history of superstars, you know, they stand alone, including Wayne, Kanye... So when I thought about that I really wanted to pursue, and at that moment I had an opportunity to not only be an entertainer and stand on my own, but be an entrepreneur."

Ollusion features production from King, who co-produced "Icebox," Detail, and Tank, who helmed the Gucci Mane-assisted lead single "I Get It In." A video for the song is being shot next week.

"Sonically it's kinda like passive aggressive. It's definitely sexy like what I gave with 'O,'" Omarion says of the album, adding that the title represents the falseness of the music industry. "A lot of people have to fake a front and pretend and have this persona. They might appear to be fearless but truthfully we all have fears. It's not what you think it is. It's an illusion." --Clover Hope

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Boosie Badazz Defends Bill Cosby, Slams Harvey Weinstein In New Video

Boosie Badazz has never strayed away from making controversial comments, and his recent ones defending the incarcerated Bill Cosby are no different.

Mr. Wipe Me Down took to his Instagram page to discuss his beliefs that the man formerly known as “America’s Dad” should be a free man. Cosby is currently serving a three to 10-year sentence for three counts of aggravated indecent assault.

"Ay check this out, y'all better wake up this racist a** motherf**kin' world," Boosie says in the video. "This armadillo lookin' b**ch Harvey Weinstein been f**kin' people 100 days ago, and he can pay for all the sh*t he did, all the f**kin' rapes he done did, but Bill Cosby couldn't pay for his sh*t. The Jell-O man had the money. That show you it's a racist motherf**kin' world."

He continues by stating that Cosby’s crimes when he was a man of a much younger age, and the only reason he was jailed for the crimes was because of the color of his skin.

Harvey Weinstein recently reached a multi-million dollar provisional deal with his accusers to settle his sexual misconduct civil lawsuits. Many of Weinstein’s accusers came forward in mid-2017 to discuss that the disgraced Hollywood producer acted inappropriately with them, which was one of the catalysts for the start of the #MeToo movement.

Watch Boosie’s video below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

#freebill #isaidit HOW HE GET TO PAY BUT NOT BILL #popapeelfreebill #crackheadasshoes

A post shared by Boosie BadAzz (@officialboosieig) on Jun 24, 2019 at 7:51pm PDT

Continue Reading
Elsa

A Chicago Bartender Spat On Eric Trump And He Wasn't Sure Why

Eric Trump went to Chicago's Aviary cocktail bar Tuesday, (June 25) but instead of enjoying a drink, the 35-year-old said an employee spat on him.

Trump told Breitbart News the encounter was "disgusting" and was a bit taken back since he and his family promote "tolerance."

“It was purely a disgusting act by somebody who clearly has emotional problems,” Trump said. “For a party that preaches tolerance, this once again demonstrates they have very little civility. When somebody is sick enough to resort to spitting on someone, it just emphasizes a sickness and desperation and the fact that we’re winning.”

The woman was taken into custody by Secret Service but later released. The Chicago police department was on hand to deal with a "law enforcement matter.”

CPD was on scene and assisting the United States Secret Service with a law enforcement matter. Any and all inquiries regarding a federal protectee must be directed to the Secret Service. https://t.co/ecq5TaMiQ0

— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) June 26, 2019

Trump's Chicago incident comes as his father's administration is being accused of keeping men, women, and children in concentration camps at the U.S.- Mexican border.

Continue Reading

Dreamville To Release Film On 'Revenge Of The Dreamers 3' Sessions

The Dreamville recording sessions at the start of the year left everyone curious.

For one, J. Cole's label is known for working solely amongst its artists, but word quickly spread that the roster was opening its doors to collaborate with artists and producers. Buddy, Smino, and T-Minus were just a few of the individuals present at the "camp," and now five months since the sessions, fans will get to see what went down.

Dreamville will release its Revenge: A Dreamville Film that will give a behind-the-scenes glimpse at how artists and producers tied to different labels and different sounds, came together with Cole's imprint to create the upcoming Revenge of the Dreamers III album.

The highly-anticipated project is set for release this year, and two of its singles have already arrived. In fact, the recently released "Down Bad" featuring Cole, J.I.D., Bas, EARTHGANG and Young Nudy, serves as background music for the film's trailer.

"I had this idea," 34-year-old Cole said in the trailer. "Let's go somewhere, lock-in and invite a bunch of outside producers and artists to come f**k with us and just make this album."

T.I. and Dreamville's Ari Lennox are just a couple of the artists that appear in the trailer aside from Cole. The film is set for release Tuesday (July 2), and will hopefully be able to hold fans over until the release of the long-awaited follow up to Revenge of the Dreamers II.

Continue Reading

Top Stories