Dungeon Family PART TWO (pg. 4)

Dre’s wardrobe changes were widely attributed to his relationship with Seven’s mother, Erykah Badu. But Swift dismisses this notion. “If you go back to Southernplayalistic, he started off with jerseys and baseball hats,” he says. “But by the second album, ATLiens, niggas were trying to be genies and shit. Erykah ain’t got nothing to do with that.” Dungeon Family members began to joke about Erykah’s mysterious “spell” on men once she started dating Common in 2000. “The other dude after me didn’t help my case,” Dre quips. “It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.” Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”

By the time Speakerboxxx/Love Below was released in 2003, it was clear that the members of OutKast were heading in different directions artistically. Big Boi’s disc was more of a traditional OutKast record, resulting in the No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 “The Way You Move.” Meanwhile Andre was singing on his disc, and he scored his own No. 1 Hot 100 hit with “Hey Ya!”

Dre admits that he distanced himself from the Dungeon Family at one point, mainly because of his musical shyness. “I wasn’t confident with my voice,” he says, “My voice wasn’t really that strong so I had to be by myself to do it. If I’m rapping I can have dudes all in the studio, smoking out. But it’s a whole different thing to be singing, ‘I hope you’re the one but if not you’re the prototype.’”

Andre first tried singing on “Synthesizer” from OutKast’s 1998 album Aquemini, and even then his partner was perplexed. Swift recalls the first time Big heard the track: “I’ll never forget… he was like, ‘Man, I don’t know if niggas in the streets want to hear that shit. That hurt Dre’s feelings bad.”

Dre made The Love Below sessions extra exclusive. Swift was one of the few people who witnessed Andre 3000’s magnum opus about the thing that scares him the most: love. “Dre got an extreme level of passion for women,” he says. “This nigga love women… But I think love and life has disappointed him ... So I think he’d just rather sing about walking down that road of love than to actually experience it.”

Meanwhile, longtime production trio Organized Noize—Rico Wade, Ray Murray, and Sleepy Brown—were left to deal with the offense of none of their tracks being used for the double album. “The records that we worked on for Big Boi didn’t make Speakerboxxx,” says Ramon Campbell, Rico’s oldest friend. “It’s one of the biggest albums OutKast put out and we didn’t have anything to do with it. And that hurts… It kind of made us look foolish.” But according to Big Boi, “That’s just how it came out. Shit, whoever was in the studio with me was who I was recording with. Sleepy Brown [whose vocals are featured on a number of tracks] was in there with me every week I was in the studio.”

From the Web

More on Vibe

Leon Bennett/Getty Images for BET

Jeremih’s Mother Opens Up About His Battle With COVID-19

Three weeks into his battle with COVID-19, Jeremih has been removed from the ICU and transferred to a regular room at the Chicago medical center where he is receiving treatment. The 33-year-singer was at his mother, Gwenda Starling’s, home when he started feeling ill earlier in the month.

Within a couple of hours, he couldn't walk properly and decided to go to the hospital, where he has been since Nov. 5. “A couple hours later he was calling me saying, ‘Mom, I need to go to the hospital. All of a sudden he couldn’t walk,” Sterling told ABC Chicago. “He was barely walking. He was holding his stomach.”

Thankfully, Jeremih’s condition got worse from there. He was in critical condition and placed on a ventilator. Starling described the experience as a “tremendous nightmare.”

“The whole family was just so saddened and just shocked, first of all. After we gout out of that whole shock thing, it was like ‘OK, we’ve got to pray.’”

Jeremih’s condition has slowly improved over the last several days. His mother noted that she knew he was healing when he started asking her for real food. “I got so teary-eyed, but I get so joyful at the same time because he’s pulling through,” she said.

The family hopes that he will be home by Thanksgiving. “It may be a bit much to ask God, but I figure we’ve been asking for everything else.”

Watch the full interview below.

Continue Reading
Alex Edelman / AFP) (Photo by ALEX EDELMAN/AFP via Getty Images

‘Chappelle’s Show’ Removed From Netflix At Dave Chappelle’s Request

Chappelle’s Show is no longer streaming on Netflix, at the request of Dave Chappelle. The comedian reached out to the company to ask them to remove the series, for which he received no residuals, and they quickly complied.

On Tuesday (Nov. 24), Chappelle’s posted an Instagram video from a recent stand-up show, called Unforgiven, where he further explained his reasoning for not wanting the Viacom/CBS-owned show to stream on Netflix. “[ViacomCBS] didn’t have to pay me because I signed the contract,” he explained of the sketch comedy show. “But is that right? I found out that these people were streaming my work and they never had to ask me or they never have to tell me. Perfectly legal ‘cause I signed the contract. But is that right? I didn’t think so either.

“That’s why I like working for Netflix,” he continued. “I like working for Netflix because when all those bad things happened to me, that company didn’t even exist. And when I found out they were streaming Chappelle’s Show, I was furious. How could they not– how could they not know? So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better.”

Episodes of Chapelle's Show had been streaming on Netflix for about a month. While the showw has been wiped from the streaming outlet, episodes remain on Comedy Central, CBS All Access, and HBO Max.

Watch Chappelle’s full clip below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Dave Chappelle (@davechappelle)

Continue Reading
Marcus Ingram/Getty Images

‘Black Panther’ Sequel Will Reportedly Begin Filming In Atlanta Next Year

Filming on the highly anticipated sequel to Black Panther is set to begin next summer. Marvel Studios will start shooting the Ryan Coogler-directed sequel in July 2021, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“The series are the priority, “ a source told THR of Marvel’s film strategy going into next year. “Ramping them up takes a lot of focus. The movie machinery is well established.”

The shoot will last at least six months. Princess Shuri, the character played by Letitia Wright, who plays King T’Challa's sister Princess Shuri, could take on an expanded role given the death of Chadwick Boseman.

Narcos: Mexico actor Tenoch Huerta will reportedly join the cast, while Lupita Nyong’o, Angela Bassett and Windsor Duke are also expected to return for the second installment of the Marvel film.

In September, Black Panther’s executive producer Victoria Alonso denied rumors that Boseman would appear in the film via CGI technology. “There's only one Chadwick, and he's not with us,” Alonso said. “Our king, unfortunately, has died in real life, not just in fiction, and we are taking a little time to see how we return to the story and what we do to honor this chapter of what has happened to us that was so unexpected, so painful, so terrible, in reality.”

Boseman, 43, passed away from colon cancer in August.

Continue Reading

Top Stories