VIBE-gilbert_arenas

Gilbert Arenas NBA Career in Jeopardy Over Alleged Gun Waving

A week ago, news broke that Washington Wizards all-star Gilbert Arenas was being investigated for storing a gun in his locker. Now, it seems as though he may have a little more trouble on his hands, after info leaked that he and his teammate pulled guns on each other in the team's locker room over a gambling debt.

According to Fox News, Arenas and his teammate Javaris Crittenton were allegedly involved in a gun duel on Dec. 21, after the two got into an argument over a gambling debt.

Arenas, 27, reportedly went for his gun first, and then 22-year-old Crittenton allegedly brandished a firearm as well.

Neither Arenas nor Crittenton have addressed the reports in-depth. When Arenas was asked about it by ABC News affiliate WJLA, he said: "I like the story, it's intriguing."

On New Year's Day, Arenas commented further on the reports via his official Twitter page (@gilbertarenas): "I wake up this morning and seen I was the new JOHN WAYNE ... lmao media is too funny."

The incident threatens to end both the players' careers, as well as Wizards general manager Ernie Grunfeld, who is said to have known about the incident, but failed to report it to the NBA.

"This is gonna cost Ernie Grunfeld his job," a former NBA team president told the New York Post. "Because the buck stops at the top."

While their contracts may be in jeopardy if the info is found to be true, the NBA player's union says they will fight the Washington Wizards and/or the NBA if either tries to void the contracts of both players over the incident.

"They can attempt to take any action they want, but if it contradicts or violates the collective bargaining agreement, then we will litigate over that," Billy Hunter, the NBA Players' Association executive director, told the New York Daily News. "There's no question we'd litigate."

No one has been suspended over the alleged incident as of press time. "Unnamed inside sources" revealed the info to the Post.

It was unclear whether other teammates saw the standoff.

"Right now, the commissioner has ample authority to suspend or fine the players," Hunter added later. "To me, he has too much authority and we'd like to cut back on that. I'm not for strengthening (what Stern can do)."

On Christmas Day, the Wizards announced that Arenas had admitted to bringing guns into the locker room and had turned them over to team security. According to Arenas, he stored the firearms in his locker, because he didn't want them in his home any longer, following the recent birth of his third child.

"It happened like December 10th. Right after my daughter was born," the NBA star said. "I decided I didn't want the guns in my house and around the kids anymore, so I took them to my lock box at Verizon Center. Then like a week later, I turned them over to team security and told them to hand them over to the police, because I don't want them anymore. I wouldn't have brought them to D.C. had I known the rules. After my daughter was born, I was just like, I don't need these anymore."

He is currently being investigated by the NBA and local authorities on whether gun-possession violations should be applied.

While the NBA allows its players to legally possess firearms, it prohibits them being brought to league facilities or when traveling on any league-related business.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

What We Know About R. Kelly's Sexual Abuse Charges

R. Kelly was indicted on 10 charges of aggravated criminal sexual abuse on Friday (Feb. 22). During a press conference held late Friday afternoon, prosecutors detailed each of the charges. R. Kelly's case involves four alleged victims, almost all of which were under the age of 17 at the time of sexual contact.

Here is what we know so far.

1. The first victim is identified by the initials HW, who is believed to have had sexual relations with Kelly from May 1998 to 1999. The charge was determined by the fact that during the time of their sexual encounters, HW was under the age of 17 while Kelly is alleged to have been more than five years older.

2. RL is the second victim that has been identified by prosecutors, who is believed to have been sexually involved with R. Kelly from 1998 to 2001. RL was believed to be under the age of 17, while Kelly was at least five years older.

3. The third victim, identified as LC engaged in sexual intercourse on Feb. 2003. The count was determined by semen found on the body for the purpose of "sexual gratification."

4. The fourth and final victim, identified under the initials JP, was involved in sexual incidents with the accused from 2009 to 2010. The charge was determined by JP being under the age of 17 while R. Kelly was believed to more than five years older.

5. If convicted, Kelly faces up to 70 years in prison.

Continue Reading
Getty Images | Kevin Fox

New England Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Reportedly Charged For Soliciting Prostitution In Florida

Owner of the New England Patriots, Robert Kraft, is reportedly being accused of two counts of soliciting prostitution in two separate instances at a Florida day spa, CNN reports.

In a recent press conference, Police Chief Daniel Kerr stated that Kraft’s charges stem from two separate visits he made to the Orchids of Asia Day Spa in Jupiter, Fla. However, a spokesperson for the NFL team denied all the charges against Kraft. "We categorically deny that Mr. Kraft engaged in any illegal activity. Because it is a judicial matter, we will not be commenting further," the organization said.

Local authorities still confirm that the accusation is in conjunction with recent events that have taken place at the establishment, which also accused 20 other people of the same crime. According to Kerr, there is video evidence. The authorities involved in the crackdown revealed they wore body cameras during the operation.

Additionally, the police were involved in constant surveillance of the location. Authorities said they're not planning to release any video footage or documented evidence as of yet.

Kraft has been the owner of the Patriots since 1994. Further details for this story are pending.

Continue Reading
Thomas Trutschel/Photothek via Getty Images

Tidal Announces Tidal Unplugged Program For Upcoming Artists

The Jay-Z owned streaming service is launching Tidal Unplugged, a program geared toward rising artists. The program has been bestowed with a $1 million fund, courtesy of its donors, venture capitalists and philanthropists, Mark Lampert and Robert Nelsen. The goal of the program is to gather emerging artists and provide them with support and tools to advance their music careers.

The selected, local artists will begin the program in Detroit, where Lampert's grandfather started his music career and will receive a grant that can cover necessary equipment, time in the studio, as well as living expenses amongst other things. There are plans to expand Unplugged to other locations, but as of right now it's solely in the Motor City.

"Kicking it off in Detroit, we're giving artists the means and resources to pursue their passion," Tidal said about Unplugged. "This once-in-a-lifetime opportunity allows aspiring musicians to dedicate more time and energy to seeking a career as an artist."

Unplugged will also allow the artists to maintain complete ownership of their recording masters from the four songs they will record when they make it to the first stage of the program. Additionally, Tidal plans to help the musicians with the distribution and promotion of their music, as well as help the artists prepare for a TIDAL Unplugged showcase concert later this year in November.

 

Detroit, welcome to TIDAL Unplugged. Up-and-coming artists are getting the opportunity to give their all to their music with our new artist grant program. Submissions open March 1. https://t.co/krL3l8HHGg pic.twitter.com/w30fElrp6N

— TIDAL (@TIDAL) February 21, 2019

Tidal Unplugged is calling for musicians of all genres in the birthplace of Motown Records, however, the announcement states that all submissions must be a cappella or performed acoustically with minimal use of digital components.

Detroit-area artists can apply for the program on Tidal's official website or here, starting on March 1, 2019. Finalists will be announced in May 2019.

Continue Reading

Top Stories