V Exclusive: Pill Speaks on Asylum Deal, Plotting Summer Release

Atlanta rapper Pill has signed to Asylum Records, his rep confirmed to VIBE.

While the news broke today, the signing was made official two weeks ago. In fact, Pill says his New Year’s Resolution was to get major label backing. He ultimately inked with Asylum/Warner Bros after piquing the interest of several labels.

“I had Universal Motown, Jive, J Records, Def Jam and I think somebody from Interscope contacted [my manager Derek], too,” Pill tells VIBE. “Asylum was the first one to put an offer on the table ASAP. Asylum offered me a deal from, I’d say, 45 minutes after 'Trap Goin’ Ham' hit the Internet. [Laughs]. They been sticking with me and going strong so it was only right.”

Formerly affiliated with Killer Mike's camp, Pill was all over the blogosphere last year thanks to the aforementioned “Trap Goin’ Ham”––with it's stark, black-and-white video––and a pair of mixtapes: 4180: The Prescription and 4075: The Refill. The rapper credits his rapidly growing interest to a DIY approach.

"I wanted to cover some ground and gain some fans and establish a concrete foundation with the people and let them know that I’m here, let them know that I’m able to put out quality music,” says Pill. “I didn’t wanna jump right in the bed with somebody right away without being able to do what I wanna do, basically hit the market that I wanted to hit.”

He thought Asylum would be the perfect fit to help transform his independent success into a mainstream presence. “They get it when it comes to urban music. I mean, hood shit,” says Pill. “It ain’t no real lyrical lyrical shit on [the label] so I wanted to kinda be the poster child for lyricism with them… They got the biggest artist out, with Gucci [Mane], so they obviously know what they’re doing. It ain’t been too many major labels breaking new urban artists in a minute.”

Similar to Drake’s So Far Gone approach, Pill plans to release The Refill as an EP. He’s also hoping to drop his debut album, The Medicine, tentatively this summer.

“I got a lot of songs [recorded]. I just want to build up enough demand to where people want to hear an album,” he says. “I wanna be one of those artists that people can’t wait for new shit to come out and have a great line of work. So I wanna let them ride to Refill for a second and once they demand some more music that’s when I’ll put out album.” ––Clover Hope

From the Web

More on Vibe

Leon Bennett/Getty Images for BET

Jeremih’s Mother Opens Up About His Battle With COVID-19

Three weeks into his battle with COVID-19, Jeremih has been removed from the ICU and transferred to a regular room at the Chicago medical center where he is receiving treatment. The 33-year-singer was at his mother, Gwenda Starling’s, home when he started feeling ill earlier in the month.

Within a couple of hours, he couldn't walk properly and decided to go to the hospital, where he has been since Nov. 5. “A couple hours later he was calling me saying, ‘Mom, I need to go to the hospital. All of a sudden he couldn’t walk,” Sterling told ABC Chicago. “He was barely walking. He was holding his stomach.”

Thankfully, Jeremih’s condition got worse from there. He was in critical condition and placed on a ventilator. Starling described the experience as a “tremendous nightmare.”

“The whole family was just so saddened and just shocked, first of all. After we gout out of that whole shock thing, it was like ‘OK, we’ve got to pray.’”

Jeremih’s condition has slowly improved over the last several days. His mother noted that she knew he was healing when he started asking her for real food. “I got so teary-eyed, but I get so joyful at the same time because he’s pulling through,” she said.

The family hopes that he will be home by Thanksgiving. “It may be a bit much to ask God, but I figure we’ve been asking for everything else.”

Watch the full interview below.

Continue Reading
Alex Edelman / AFP) (Photo by ALEX EDELMAN/AFP via Getty Images

‘Chappelle’s Show’ Removed From Netflix At Dave Chappelle’s Request

Chappelle’s Show is no longer streaming on Netflix, at the request of Dave Chappelle. The comedian reached out to the company to ask them to remove the series, for which he received no residuals, and they quickly complied.

On Tuesday (Nov. 24), Chappelle’s posted an Instagram video from a recent stand-up show, called Unforgiven, where he further explained his reasoning for not wanting the Viacom/CBS-owned show to stream on Netflix. “[ViacomCBS] didn’t have to pay me because I signed the contract,” he explained of the sketch comedy show. “But is that right? I found out that these people were streaming my work and they never had to ask me or they never have to tell me. Perfectly legal ‘cause I signed the contract. But is that right? I didn’t think so either.

“That’s why I like working for Netflix,” he continued. “I like working for Netflix because when all those bad things happened to me, that company didn’t even exist. And when I found out they were streaming Chappelle’s Show, I was furious. How could they not– how could they not know? So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better.”

Episodes of Chapelle's Show had been streaming on Netflix for about a month. While the showw has been wiped from the streaming outlet, episodes remain on Comedy Central, CBS All Access, and HBO Max.

Watch Chappelle’s full clip below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Dave Chappelle (@davechappelle)

Continue Reading
Marcus Ingram/Getty Images

‘Black Panther’ Sequel Will Reportedly Begin Filming In Atlanta Next Year

Filming on the highly anticipated sequel to Black Panther is set to begin next summer. Marvel Studios will start shooting the Ryan Coogler-directed sequel in July 2021, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“The series are the priority, “ a source told THR of Marvel’s film strategy going into next year. “Ramping them up takes a lot of focus. The movie machinery is well established.”

The shoot will last at least six months. Princess Shuri, the character played by Letitia Wright, who plays King T’Challa's sister Princess Shuri, could take on an expanded role given the death of Chadwick Boseman.

Narcos: Mexico actor Tenoch Huerta will reportedly join the cast, while Lupita Nyong’o, Angela Bassett and Windsor Duke are also expected to return for the second installment of the Marvel film.

In September, Black Panther’s executive producer Victoria Alonso denied rumors that Boseman would appear in the film via CGI technology. “There's only one Chadwick, and he's not with us,” Alonso said. “Our king, unfortunately, has died in real life, not just in fiction, and we are taking a little time to see how we return to the story and what we do to honor this chapter of what has happened to us that was so unexpected, so painful, so terrible, in reality.”

Boseman, 43, passed away from colon cancer in August.

Continue Reading

Top Stories