VIBE_Monica_Rocko

Monica Addresses Rocko Breakup, Cheating Rumors: ‘I Never Felt So Confused’

Two weeks ago, Monica revealed on Twitter that she and Atlanta rapper Rocko, her fiancée of five years, had broken up. While prepping the release of her fifth album, Still StandingMonica opened up to VIBE recently about the break-up and why she used Twitter as her medium.

The following series of messages posted to her account, @Monicamylife, on March 11:

“Thank you everyone for all the love your sending. @Rocko4Real is a great father and we will continue to love and parent our children . The rest is a private matter between @Rocko4Real and I. He is a good person. We all make mistakes. Even seperated we will always be family...”

The couple had been together off and on for 10 years and have two sons together.

“I chose Twitter as a forum to say what I felt at that time because there was no other way for me to say it once,” Monica told VIBE. “Had I been on radio, had I been interviewed, it would’ve been over and over again. That was just a quick way to say, ‘I know what’s taking place on the Web sites. I want you to know that I’m okay.’ But it really is a private matter. You just lose the privacy once you become an artist. So I'm not upset about it in any way.”

Prior to the announcement, rumors floated that Rocko had been cheating on the singer, 29, who said she was aware of all the hearsay and felt confused with what was happening.

“It was a situation I didn’t ask to be in, so to speak. Once something is put up on a Web site and things about your personal life are spread all around, it’s unfortunate,” said Monica. “I don’t even know specifically who they spoke to, but I do know that I never felt so… I guess the word would be confused more than anything else. If you go to sleep and you wake up and you see something for the first time, it’s a little scary, you know. I’m too grown now to go investigating leads. The reality is that I have to play my position as their mom and do what it is that’s best for me.”

Despite the relationship’s ending, Monica said the two remain on good terms and that their journey together has been mostly positive.

“When I met him, I was only 19 years old and the good definitely outweighed the bad over the years so we don’t have any hard feelings towards one another,” said Monica. “Anything that involves children is gonna be more emotional. I think that’s the area that makes it more difficult… My priority is to make sure that whatever is done is best for them. I’m secondary in the picture and so is their dad and we have a close bond for over a decade. So regardless of what takes place in the media, there’s still certain things that will happen amongst the four of us for the rest of our lives and that’s just never gonna change.” —Clover Hope


MONICA STILL FEELS WEIRD BEING CALLED THE 'V' WORD

PHOTOS: MONICA & ROCKO COUPLED UP

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

'Insecure's Jay Ellis Is Engaged And His Fiancé Is Expecting A Child

According to reports, Jay Ellis– widely recognized for his role as Lawrence on the hit HBO show Insecure– is engaged and expecting his first child with his longtime lady love, actress Nina Senicar.

Per reports, Senicar is reportedly due this autumn, and the couple is set to have their wedding in Italy. The news was broken during her interview with the Serbian publication, Story.

"Perhaps she is not quite aware even now, because it's hard to believe that dreams are being fulfilled in just a few months when they have been under the umbrella of the fantasy for years," the publication writes (it has been translated from Serbian).

"Namely, this year's beauty will stand in front of the altar with its chosen one, Jay Ellis (37), and in the autumn couple will get a child," the publication continues. "Life was fairly fabulous all this time while achieving some other set goals, reviving dreams on a relationship between the California hot and Italian fantasy, but now it's time for the actress to find a new, deeper meaning."

Ellis' co-star, Insecure creator and star Issa Rae, is also reportedly set to tie the knot. She is engaged to her longtime love, Louis Diame.

Continue Reading
Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images for SiriusXM

A Kirk Franklin Biopic Is Underway

Kirk Franklin is the latest musician to receive the biopic treatment. According to Deadline, the Grammy Award-winning gospel artist will be the subject of his life-told-on-film that'll depict his experiences before the music industry and his journey throughout the business.

The news site also states the film will be produced by DeVon Franklin, an acclaimed author of faith-based best-selling books. The preacher's Franklin Entertainment production company will take the reins on the film's process alongside Kirk Franklin who'll remain onboard as an executive producer.

The Texas native began his ascent to gospel music stardom when he released his debut studio effort, Kirk Franklin & The Family (1993). His discography boasts a bevy of albums, including his most recent Long Live Love, which entered at No. 1 on Billboard's US Top Gospel Albums chart. Concerning the charts, Franklin is also celebrated as the first artist to sit atop all five of Billboard's gospel charts at the same time.

In a VIBE interview, Franklin discussed the inspiration behind one of Long Live Love's standout tracks, "Strong God," and delving into a new realm of social commentary within the gospel genre.

"I think that one of the greatest misconceptions about gospel music from those that listen to it – and even at times those that do it – is that its agenda always has to be vertical, that there can never be a horizontal social commentary connected with the gospel, when at the same time one of the biggest modus operandi of Jesus Christ was the poor and the less fortunate and the widows," he said. "And his level of frustration was the oppression that the government and the religious leaders put on those people. So, to have social commentary in a gospel song for me is very important. Even, you know it’s been part of my career, I was doing it back with “Lean on Me.”

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Dolly Parton Toys With Hopping On Next 'Old Town Road' Remix

Lil Nas X is not letting “Old Town Road” ever get old. The 20-year-old Atlanta native continues to add more and more musicians to various remixes of the record-breaking song.

Last week, he enlisted Young Thug and “The Yodeling Kid” Mason Ramsey, and it looks like another country music legend is looking to hop on another version of the track.

“Y’all think i can get dolly parton and megan thee stallion on a old town road remix?” Lil Nas X asked his millions of Twitter followers at the top of the week (Jul. 15). The “9 To 5” songstress responded to the artist’s inquiry yesterday (Jul. 18) on Twitter with a horse and a unicorn emoji. Megan has not responded to the inquiry... that we know of.

Billy Ray Cyrus– the father of Parton’s goddaughter Miley– hopped on the original remix with Lil Nas X, and performed the song with him at events such as Summer Jam and the 2019 BET Awards.

The track is currently the third longest-running No. 1 hit in the history of American popular music, right behind “One Sweet Day” By Boyz II Men and Mariah Carey, and Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee and Justin Bieber’s “Despacito.”

🐴🦄 @LilNasX https://t.co/jD8WgNNNPI pic.twitter.com/WQWwW7sbi2

— Dolly Parton (@DollyParton) July 17, 2019

Continue Reading

Top Stories