HeroSandwich HeroSandwich

CIVIL WRITES: Do Not Meet Your Heroes!

I’m not a whistleblower, rat or any other term synonymous with snitch. With that said the following stories shall leave the guilty nameless. My agenda here is to crystallize my point, not expose wack behavior. Before I state my premise I’ll first explain my need to.

 

Last month I received an assignment to interview a celebrity who was known as one of the best in their field but today remains a couple years shaded from limelight. Six weeks later I’m in the fallen star’s hometown discovering their delusion. His perception of his market value is a misperception. His goals are unrealistic because his plans to achieve them are unrealistic. It was a sad but educational day for me. The experience drove home (millionth time) that I should avoid meeting my heroes. They almost always disappoint.

 

Like in 2001 when I got hated on by a couple of the game’s top writers. At the time, one of ‘em was in my scribe top five. I was a pup. Had only gone pro two years prior. Somehow I managed to gain notoriety for a “fearless” interview style. Rolling Stone named me the “Hot Interviewer” in their famed “Hot Issue.” I get a call from the top 5 writer. Flattery quickly dissolved as the wordsmith began babbling about discussing my Rolling Stone profile with another esteemed writer. He wanted to contact me before anyone who overheard the conversation did first. I quickly deciphered: both writers were hating on me because I received such a huge publishing nod at such a ripe age. So ex-top 5 wanted to cop an early (guilty) plea. Diesel fuel­­––I got bigger. They got smaller.

 

The older heroes are indeed the biggest letdowns. They’re bitter, insecure and thus jealous of threatening youth. I began learning this when I interviewed one of the ‘90’s best producers in the new millennium. He was a full season cooler than the hottest producers at that time and vocal about it. He took subliminal shots at a few trackmasters and even called out a couple production prodigies. Welp, one of those prodigies had a very thorough family. The legendary got stepped to immediately and from what the young producer told me buckled like ‘Lo boots. Mr. Legend then phoned me, ignorant to my knowledge of his buckling, claiming he was misquoted. Refusing to waste words on wackness I simply put the recorder to the phone and played his words back to him.

 

The cake was taken, though, when I met one of my all-time favorite MCs. If I followed any scripture as a teen it was his rhyme book. It was still very early in my career and this rapper was on the brink of a rap beef. So guess who got sent to Miami to see if dude wanted to draw first blood? I found myself face-to-face with my hero, separated only by the table inside his trailer, my recorder and a fifth of Hennessy. As the bottle got lighter my questioning became more relentless. His answers produced more platitudes. I got my story––not a homerun (rapper kept buntin’) but a winner. Then a week after our sit down the rapper began blowing up my two-way. It’s after 1am on a Saturday morning, I’m in a club and he’s requesting I keep his comments about 50 Cent and Prodigy out of the cover story. Mind you, I was celebrating my birthday. My respect for him never made it past age 24.

 

Now how many of y’all have been disappointed by a hero? And can you guess the identities of my former heroes? 

 

__________

Bonsu Thompson, The Rolling Stone 2001 “Hot Interviewer” has penned for mags like DetailsXXLPenthouse, SLAM and KING as well as notable brands such as MTV, VH1, Rocawear and Translation. Wanna keep up with the Brooklyn scribe? Follow him via Twitter.com/DreamzRreal

 

From the Web

More on Vibe

Kid Cudi And Jada Pinkett Smith Discuss Past Suicidal Thoughts On 'Red Table Talk'

Jada Pinkett Smith's Red Table Talk has tackled some giant topics including sexuality, race, love, and marriage. Now, the Facebook talk series is talking mental health with Kid Cudi.

Cudi – also known as Scott Ramon Seguro Mescudi –  is no stranger to the conversation about mental health. Opening up about his struggles with mental health on the recent episode of Red Table Talk, the 34-year-old rapper detailed how he hid his struggles from his loved ones.

"I was really good at keeping my troubles hidden Like I was really good at that and it's scary because that's when you hear people say, well I had no clue," Kid Cudi continued. "I really went out of my way to keep what I was going through hidden because I was ashamed."

Kid Cudi checked himself into rehab in 2016 to combat depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts, the "Day 'N' Nite emcee has worked to find the best ways to cope with his traumas.

Smith also spoke candidly about her battle with mental health. "I had gotten to LA and gotten a certain amount of success and realized that that wasn’t the answer,” she said. "[The success] wasn’t what was going to make everything okay. [It] actually made this worse."

Like many people struggling with depression and anxiety, the shame felt by  Mescudi is a normal feeling, but hopefully, through this talk, more conversation surrounding mental disorders will begin.

This episode of Red Table Talk will air Monday on Facebook Watch. Watch the clip above.

READ MORE: Kid Cudi Talks Being In A Positive Space Since Depression Battle In 'Billboard' Cover Story

Continue Reading

Bad Bunny Addresses Domestic Violence In New "Solo De Mi" Video

Bad Bunny is finishing 2018 as one of the biggest breakout stars in Latin music, and he's using his platform to stand up against an important topic. He's bringing awareness to domestic violence in his new music video for "Solo De Mi."

"Solo De Mi," which translates to "Just of Me" in English, was released as a single on Friday (Dec. 14). The video that premiered on YouTube a day later, has since racked up 5.1 million views and is currently trending on the channel at No. 10. The visual piece evokes emotions as most of the reel depicts a young woman nervously singing in front of a microphone with a battered face.

Towards the end of the video, the tempo switches and the broken woman becomes stronger as the camera pans to Bad Bunny and his entourage partying the night away while the Puerto Rican rapper spits bars in Spanish.

The Latin trap artist shared a clip of the video on Instagram with this caption:

"I'm not sure if cockfighting is abuse, but gender violence against women and the absurd amount of women who are murdered a month IS. When are we going to prioritize what really matters ??! We always want to blame everyone but the one at fault. IT'S TIME TO TAKE ACTION NOW! I know there will be many opinions, but I just tell them that something starts, and everyone does their part as they think they can. WE DO NOT WANT ONE MORE DEATH! Respect the woman, respect the man, respect the neighbor, respect life! LESS VIOLENCE, MORE PERISH! (AND IF SHE WANTS IT, IF IT DOES NOT LET HER SAVE ONLY AND DO NOT KILL IT) 🖤 [LINK IN MY BIO]"

Although the trap-influenced record has yet to debut on the charts, the 24-year-old artist continues to ride high off the success of his current singles, "MIA" and "I Like It," which are currently sitting at No. 2 and No. 42 on the Hot Latin Songs and Hot 100, respectively.

Check out the video above.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

no estoy seguro si las peleas de gallo son maltrato, pero la violencia de género en contra de la mujer y la cantidad absurda de mujeres que son asesinadas al mes SÍ LO ES. ¿Cuando vamos a darle prioridad a lo que realmente importa??! Siempre queremos culpar a todos menos al que tiene la culpa. ES HORA DE TOMAR ACCIÓN YA! Sé que habrán muchas opiniones, pero yo solo les digo que por algo se empieza, y cada cual hace su parte como cree que pueda. NO QUEREMOS NI UNA MUERTE MAS! Respeta la mujer, respeta al hombre, respeta al prójimo, respeta la vida! MENOS VIOLENCIA, MAS PERREO! (Y SI ELLA LO QUIERE, SI NO DÉJALA QUE PERREE SOLA Y NO LA JODAS)🖤 [LINK EN MI BIO]

A post shared by BAD | BUNNY (@badbunnypr) on Dec 15, 2018 at 12:44pm PST

READ MORE: Members Of Young Hollywood Appear On Forbes' '30 Under 30' List

Continue Reading
Scott Olson

Kenneka Jenkins' Mother Sues Hotel For $50 Million After Daughter Found In Freezer

Kenneka Jenkins' family is reportedly taking legal action against the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Rosemont, Illinois after the teen was discovered dead in the hotel kitchen's walk-in freezer, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. Jenkins' mother, Tereasa Martin has filed a $50 million lawsuit against the hotel, alleging that the staff were responsible for her daughter's untimely death.

The lawsuit names the hotel, F&F Realty, Capital Security, and Investigations and Murray Bros. Caddyshack – the restaurant that leased the kitchen – as  liable for Jenkins' death. Martin claims the hotel and other parties failed to secure dangerous areas and hire competent staff to monitor them.

According to court documents, the hotel and security staff ignored multiple warnings about the group of people that were partying in the hotel room where Jenkins was ahead of her disappearance. The lawsuit noted that Jenkins passed several hotel staff members who should have seen that she was in an altered state and prevented her from entering the kitchen.

Hotel personnel also neglected to thoroughly review security footage after learning of Jenkins' disappearance. If they had done so, "they would have been able to locate her which would have prevented her death,” according to the lawsuit. As result of the incident, Jenkins' family claims they suffered tremendous "conscious, physical pain and suffering," humiliation, and loss of wages.

As previously reported, 19-year-old Jenkins attended a hotel room party on the ninth floor of the Crowne Plaza on Sept. 9, 2017, around 1:13 a.m. in a fully coherent state, the lawsuit claims. Around 2:30 a.m. Jenkins' and friends reportedly were leaving the party when she realized she had lost her phone. Two hours later, friends told Martin that her daughter was missing. After Martin contacted the hotel desk, security reviewed the surveillance footage, but did not find anything at the time. Jenkins was officially reported missing at 12:36 p.m. on Sept. 9.

Jenkins was found 21 hours after she was reported missing. Her body was discovered in a double-door walk-in freezer located in an unused kitchen that was accessible to the general public, the lawsuit said. The sticker on the door of the freezer, which contained instruction on how to open was barely visible.

Upon further review, surveillance videos show Jenkins stumbling into the kitchen and walking toward the freezer around 3:32 a.m. She was reportedly visibly inebriated at the time.

Jenkins was pronounced dead on Sept. 10, 2017. Her death was a ruled an accident caused by  hypothermia, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

In addition to the damages regarding her death, Jenkins' family is suing to cover the expenses of her funeral, which was held last year.

Continue Reading

Top Stories