l_b562e65ead6ec39ccd6458c9474cb6a4

Rick Rock On VIBE's Producer Tournament Loss: 'I Thought I Could Get Past Prince Paul'

Rick Rock is a realist. Even if he had defeated Prince Paul in the second round of VIBE's Greatest Producer of All Time tournament last week, the Southern California producer wasn't expecting to be crowned the best beatmaker in the business.

"When I got past Juicy J in the first round, I thought I could get past Prince Paul," he told VIBE.com from his home studio in Sacramento, Calif. shortly after taking an L. "But I would have lost to Dr. Dre in the next round anyway. Even I would have voted for Dre! So I knew it was coming."

Still, Rick is happy just to be recognized. Though he helped launch the hyphy craze in the mid-2000s by putting in work with E-40, The Federation and other Cali artists, he's also contributed tracks to Jay-Z ("Change The Game"), Fabolous ("Can't Deny It"), Mase ("Breathe, Stretch, Shake") and G-Unit ("Rider, Pt. 2") in the past. But he doesn't feel he always gets the credit he deserves for the work he's done outside of the West Coast.

"I super-duper believe that people just don't realize how much stuff that I've done," he says. "That's my Achilles. I've never really matched my music with one person so that people could put it together and be like, 'Oh, he might have a little talent.'"

It's one reason he was surprised to hear that he was mentioned in the same breath as some of the other producers in the tournament. "The last thing I expected was to see my name in a producer's tournament at 6 o'clock in the morning one day," he says. "I found out on Twitter and I was shocked. To tell you the truth, I didn't even expect to beat Juicy J in the first round."

And, as for his prediction for the Greatest Producer of All Time? "I'm gonna say Timbaland," he says. "Or Dre. I predict Timbaland or Dre. But it'll be fun to watch. And I'm glad I was a part of it. It was fun while it lasted."—Chris Yuscavage

From the Web

More on Vibe

Spencer Platt/Getty Images

NYPD Officers Caught Strenuously Pulling One-Year-Old Out Of Mother's Arms

The New York Police Department (NYPD) has found itself in hot water after a video of officers using excessive force to remove a one-year-old from his mother's arms went viral.

Initiated by a verbal dispute with a security guard, a woman identified as Jazmine Headley was sitting on the floor with her son because there were no available seats in her local Brooklyn food stamp office. After being reprimanded by an employee in the benefits office for allegedly blocking the hallway, the cops were called on the 23-year-old.

Headley remained on the floor in the upright position until the officers began to pull at her baby, rushing to arrest and separate her from her child. Hands clasped tight around her child, the mother did her best to keep control of her son, until officers started pulling at the boy as if his limbs were made of rubber.

“They’re hurting my son," she repeatedly screamed while being attacked by four members of the force. Enraged bystanders witnessing the excessive encounter tossed comments about the happenings. After apprehending the baby, and securing Headley, one policeman reached for their yellow stun gun, threatening partons in the office according to The New York Times.

Headley is currently detained in Rikers Island, while the boy, Damone, remains in his grandmother's custody. As a source of advocation for the young mother, Cynthia Nixon, former Sex And The City actress and current day New York City politician, spoke out against the NYPD fiasco.

#JazmineHeadley should not have been arrested, should not have had her child torn from her, should not be sitting in Rikers now https://t.co/yyX0ZuxFhu

— Cynthia Nixon (@CynthiaNixon) December 10, 2018

READ MORE: NYPD Sergeant Acquitted Of Charges For The Death Of Deborah Danner

Continue Reading
Time's Up logo
Jordan Hedeby/ Sunshine Sachs

Time's Up Legal Defense Fund Holding Star-Studded eBay Auction

The TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund is holding an auction featuring some timeless memorabilia and experiences from high-profile members of Hollywood's elite. 100% of the proceeds will benefit the TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund.

According to a press release, for the one-year anniversary of the movement, the auction and campaign will offer 36 once-in-a-lifetime experiences that brings the winners up-close-and-personal with some of their favorite stars. Ava DuVernay, Reese Witherspoon, Margot Robbie, Brie Larson, Geena Davis, Laura Dern and many more have signed on to be a part of this exciting experience, which will occur via eBay from Dec. 10 until the 20th.

"Each contribution will especially help low-wage workers connect to the legal resources they need to fight against sexual harassment," said Fatima Goss Graves, co-founder of the TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund and President and CEO of the National Women’s Law Center. "This scourge continues to thrive across all industries—and it’s time to tackle it. We are dedicated to creating a reality where no worker must endure abuse for a paycheck.”

Some of the experiences winners could receive include "Ava DuVernay’s creative campus ARRAY with a chance to join her during a post-production session of her new Netflix mini-series Central Park 5, a selfie on the red carpetwith Reese Witherspoon at the Big Little Lies Season 2 premiere, a coffee date with Geena Davis, [and] a meet-and-greet with Kerry Washington with the cast of the upcoming Broadway show American Son."

READ MORE: Tessa Thompson Clears Up Comments Made Toward Lena Dunham Joining "Time's Up" Campaign

Continue Reading
Robin Marchant

A 'New York Undercover' Reboot May Be On The Way

Nostalgia seems to be the name of the game these days. As networks flirt with the idea of rebooting beloved television shows birthed in the 90s, the return on investment appears to be two-fold: being able to tap into the fanbase that helped catapult the show to success, while exposing the series to a new audience.

According to Deadline, ABC is not only rebooting NYPD Blue but also considering bringing back New York Undercover. Created by Dick Wolf, the cop drama starring Malik Yoba and Michael DeLorenzo was the first series that featured two actors of colors as the lead.

Yoba and DeLorenzo played undercover detectives J.C Williams and Eddie Torres with New York's fourth precinct. Later on in the series, Lauren Valez joined the cast as a detective and Torres' love interest. Originally housed on Fox, the series lasted from 1994-1998, with the unsuspecting death of Torres who perished in a car bomb.

Wolf's agent spoke to Deadline and hinted about the reprisal. "Wolf  is reviving one of his shows from years ago – it’s a franchise you can redo” that “doesn’t necessarily have to have the same cast.” Reportedly there are multiple networks interested.

If the show does make a return, will you tune in?

READ MORE: Yes, Martin Is A Classic But Let's Leave It In The 90s

Continue Reading

Top Stories