From the Web
More on Vibe
Travis Scott landed in the center of controversy after he announced that he would be performing during the Super Bowl halftime show in Feb. 2019. The outrage mostly stemmed from the split views regarding the NFL and its treatment of former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who had been blackballed from the league for silently protesting social injustice during the national anthem. Despite fan opinions however, a new report claims Trav consulted with Kaep before the big performance, and their chat went rather well, according to Variety.
According to the new report, Travis and Kaepernick had at least one phone conversation earlier this year. While it's unclear what the two spoke about, a source close to Trav admitted that the two did not agree on everything that was talked about, but emerged from the discussion with "mutual respect and understanding."
As previously reported, Scott recently announced that he only agreed to perform during the halftime show as long as the NFL donated to Van Jones' social justice organization, Dream Corps. "I back anyone who takes a stand for what they believe in," he said in his announcement. "I know being an artist that it’s in my power to inspire. So before confirming the Super Bowl Halftime performance, I made sure to partner with the NFL on this important donation. I am proud to support Dream Corps and the work they do that will hopefully inspire and promote change."
According to the insider, Travis reiterated to Kaepernick that he would only confirm his performance after the donation was secured.
The two may have reached an understanding, but fans are still trying to persuade the rapper to make a statement during the halftime stage. A Change.org petition has been launched, requesting that Maroon 5, Travis Scott, and Big Boi take a knee during their performances. It has already garnered more than 85,000 signatures. "It appears these artists aren’t backing out at this point. So now what?,” the petition description reads. "There’s one way they can still redeem their reputation with their fans. Maroon 5, Travis Scott and Big Boi: take a knee during your set."
The Super Bowl will kick off on Feb. 3.
Nearly a decade ago, Lee Daniels revealed that he dreamed of creating a superhero film starring a gay protagonist. It's been a long time in the making, but apparently his dream is on the verge of coming true. Daniels recently took to Instagram on Tuesday (Jan. 15), and announced that he will be making a gay superhero flick, and he's found the perfect lead.
Daniels is reportedly teaming up with viral star, SuperB***h for the new movie. "Y'all remember maybe 10, 12 years ago I said my dream was to make a gay superhero film?" he said in a video message on IG. "Dreams do come true. And I found my superhero. America, world, get ready."
View this post on Instagram
Dreams really do come true!! I had the pleasure of meeting the one and only @theoriginalbigdaddy. You’re an amazing man filled with great ideas. I can wait to work with you!. ❤️❤️🌈🌈
SuperB***h also commented on the news in the caption of the video. "You’re an amazing man filled with great ideas," he wrote. "I can wait to work with you!"
For those who aren't up to speed, SuperB***h is both an actor and comedian from Southeast, D.C., who rose to Internet stardom for his social media videos that feature him twirling, flipping, and protecting the world from homophobic trolls, horrible ex-boyfriends, and other villains.
Daniels has not leaked any details regarding the film at this time. Check out the video message above and below.
View this post on Instagram
WARNING: THE LANGUAGE OR ACTION USED IN THIS CONTENT IS ONLY FOR ENTERTAINMENT & COMEDIC PURPOSES. IT DOES NOT REPRESENT THE FEELINGS OF THE PARTICIPANTS. THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO PROMOTE VIOLENCE OR THE USE OF WEAPONS IN ANY WAY. ALL PROPS ARE FAKE. WE DO NOT ENCOURAGE VIEWERS TO TRY THIS AT HOME. People will never understand to mind their own business!. So I had to get crazy and bring super b*tch out 😈🦸🏽♂️ 💞@bmrtwins1 @jinnkid
Rihanna has had enough. Riri is reportedly suing her dad, Ronald Fenty, for using the Fenty brand to launch a talent agency and solicit money without her permission, TMZ reports.
According to court documents obtained by TMZ, the ANTI singer claims her father launched a talent development company in 2017 called Fenty Entertainment. The problem – Rih trademarked "Fenty" years ago so that she could use it for her blossoming businesses.
The lawsuit claims Ronald is profiting from the reputation that was already created with Fenty Beauty and her apparel lines. Additionally, the docs allege that her dad falsely advertised themselves as her reps to solicit millions from fans.
The entrepreneur claims that her dad made $15 million in false bookings for shows throughout Latin America and attempted to trademark "Fenty" to use with resort boutique hotels.
While it may seem extreme to file a lawsuit against her own bloodline, Rih reportedly sent multiple cease and desist letters to him before she was forced to take full legal action.
Rihanna is asking a judge to place an injunction on Ronald using the name Fenty and to compensate her for the damages.