alg_roxanne_shante_0

Roxanne Shanté Compares 'Roman's Revenge' To 'Roxanne's Revenge': 'I'm Honored'

The gloves are finally off in the bubbling Lil Kim/Nicki Minaj Cold War that’s simmered for much of 2010. 

The Young Money starlet took her most direct jabs at Kim in her recently leaked “Roman’s Revenge,” an Eminem collaboration from Pink Friday: “Look at my show footage, how these girls be spazzin’/Fuck I look like giving back to a has-been/Yeah, I said it, has-been/Hang it up, flat screen.”

While the life-size Barbie shows outright disrespect to her predecessor, the subplot is the song’s title, a nod to Roxanne Shanté’s diss record to UTFO, “Roxanne’s Revenge.”

“I love her delivery,” said the former Juice Crew MC and fellow Queens native moments after listening to the Swizz Beatz-produced cut. “I’m pretty much lost for words. Wow!”

“I’m proud of her,” Shanté continues. “If she named it ‘Roman’s Revenge’ after ‘Roxanne’s Revenge’, then I’m honored. Job very well done.”

Roxanne Shanté says Nicki’s diss track has all the bite of “Roxanne’s Revenge,” but lacks the directness. “[Nicki’s] record was to prove a point, but I was never afraid to say names. Not saying that she’s afraid, but I always wanted people to know who I was talking about.” 

She continues: “The similarities are she just doesn’t care.  Like, [Kim], this is what I’m saying about you, now what you gonna do? Being a battle rapper that was totally respected by my male counterparts, I understand where she’s coming from.”

While Shanté is a firm supporter of Nicki Minaj, she’s not quite counting out Lil Kim in the brewing battle.

“No one can tell the future. [Lil’ Kim] could come back with something that blows everyone’s mind. Or, she could come back with something and blow her own mind." 

Roxanne Shanté co-hosts on Golden Era Radio on New York station WBLS alongside Marley Marl every Friday from 9-11 p.m. —John Kennedy




 

RELATED:

From the Web

More on Vibe

Ron Gelella/WireImage

Gang Leader Linked To Tupac's Murder Sentenced To 10 Years Over Drug Charge

A gang leader who is believed to be connected to Tupac's murder case is reportedly heading to prison for a long time. Darnell Brim, who was a South Side Compton Crips leader, was reportedly sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for drug distribution, TMZ reports.

Brim, received his sentencing after agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) caught him selling crack cocaine.

Brim is believed to be one of the four men who was riding in the white Cadillac that pulled up and opened fire on Tupac and Suge Knight on Las Vegas Boulevard in 1996. The LAPD suspects Brim fired the fatal shot that killed the legendary west coast artist, but he was never charged. Tupac was pronounced dead at 4:03 pm PT on Sept. 13, 1996. Brim was reportedly shot in a drive-by shooting in Compton two days after Pac's murder, which cops believed was retaliation for the rapper's death.

The rapper's death was never solved.

Continue Reading
Leon Bennett

John Singleton In Coma After Suffering From A Stroke

John Singleton is reportedly in a coma after suffering from a major stroke, TMZ reports.

The Boyz N the Hood filmmaker has reportedly been in the ICU since last weekend. According to legal documents obtained by TMZ, Singleton's mother, Sheila Ward, is asking a judge to appoint her temporary conservator of his work because he is "unable to properly provide for his personal needs for physical health, food, clothing, or shelter." Singleton was reportedly working on several projects and preparing to sign a lucrative settlement agreement at the time of his stroke, according to Ward.

As previously reported, Singleton suffered a stroke on April 17, after returning from Costa Rica. After experiencing problems with his legs, he reportedly checked into Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles where he suffered a stroke in his hospital room.

This story is developing.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Goodbye Costa Rica... one of my new favorite places in the world.... so much to see so little time...

A post shared by JOHN SINGLETON (@johnsingleton) on Mar 6, 2019 at 1:07pm PST

Continue Reading
Isaac Brekken/Getty Images

Bun B's Lawyer Provides Update On Attempted Armed Robbery Aftermath

On Tuesday (April 24), Bun B confronted an armed robber, who was later identified as 20-year-old DeMonte Jackson. The latter attempted to rob the legendary rapper's home but acted swiftly with his own registered firearm. When Bun B's wife, Angela "Queenie" Walls answered a knock on the door, a masked Freeman entered with his weapon but was later met with the Trill rapper's fire and was detained at a hospital while being treated for his wounds.

In a statement provided to XXL, lawyer Charles Adams said he doesn't expect charges to be filed against the Texas native. "In Texas, you can defend your home. And if an armed home invader breaks into your home and puts a gun at your wife's head, you can shoot the guy if he's still in your home," Adams said. "Honestly, this might sound cheesy, thank God that Bun had a gun. Thank God that he was courageous enough to defend his home and his wife [Queenie]. And thank God Queenie was courageous enough to not let the man go upstairs."

As Queenie led Jackson to the garage, Bun B, born Bernard Freeman, became aware of the incident from another part of the house and opened fire on Jackson. The latter was charged with one count of burglary plus two levies of aggravated robbery.

Continue Reading

Top Stories