From Rikers Island To The Carter: DJ Scoob Doo Talks Lil Wayne's Homecoming

When you think of the of people closest to Lil Wayne, only a few names outside of the Young Money Cash Money family come to mind. Weezy’s tight knit circle is impenetrable; teflon. Making the exception for hollow tips, few are able to get past his outer layer and inside to the core of Dwayne “Lil Wayne” Carter.

Upon his release from Rikers Island on Nov 4th, 2010, there have been only a handful of cameras fortunate enough to capture the Martian. However, the most personal moments in Wayne’s homecoming were caught by close friend and unofficial videographer DJ Scoob Doo. As a part of Weezy’s inner circle, Young Money’s resident cameraman took VIBE from Rikers Island back to the Carter.—Mikey Fresh



VIBE: Can you reveal you current location, Scoob?

DJ Scoob Doo: Right now, I’m on the 3rd floor of The Carter, working non-stop and as you know The Carter is located in Miami now.

So you're filming for Nino Brown 4 already? People are still waiting for Part 3.

You’re one of the few people who got to see the masterpiece. I actually got to show Wayne the Nino Brown 3 DVD after he got out of jail. I can’t wait for it to hit the streets.

The moments you capture with Wayne are so candid. What do you think is the best part of filming with him?

I’d say just seeing the reaction of Wayne being extra happy and joyful and being able to catch all that. Somebody like Wayne, he doesn’t let a lot of people around him. So it’s harder to catch historic things that he does. When I have the cameras around him, it’s not like he’s acting or changing what he does. My footage is real moments in his life.

What was Weezy’s mindstate like before he went in?

I think life was moving so fast for him before he went in that he knew what he was doing but there were other things occupying his mind. So for him to see what he did before he went in was priceless.

Can you take us through what it was like on the day he was released?

Everybody thought he was coming out of the regular exit, just like any other inmate. And the gates would open like in The Shawshank Redemption, but it wasn’t nothing like that because Wayne is such a high profile person.

How did it really go down?

There were some measures taken to avoid a riot from all the people gathered outside of the jail and move him out of Rikers unknowingly. People were still at the jail after he left because he went out a special way. I think it was the first time they allowed something like that. Wayne had his Maybach come and get him from inside the jail. Once that happened, we all met him at an undisclosed location and that’s where the family was waiting for him. Really, closed off from the outside world.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Ron Gelella/WireImage

Gang Leader Linked To Tupac's Murder Sentenced To 10 Years Over Drug Charge

A gang leader who is believed to be connected to Tupac's murder case is reportedly heading to prison for a long time. Darnell Brim, who was a South Side Compton Crips leader, was reportedly sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for drug distribution, TMZ reports.

Brim, received his sentencing after agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) caught him selling crack cocaine.

Brim is believed to be one of the four men who was riding in the white Cadillac that pulled up and opened fire on Tupac and Suge Knight on Las Vegas Boulevard in 1996. The LAPD suspects Brim fired the fatal shot that killed the legendary west coast artist, but he was never charged. Tupac was pronounced dead at 4:03 pm PT on Sept. 13, 1996. Brim was reportedly shot in a drive-by shooting in Compton two days after Pac's murder, which cops believed was retaliation for the rapper's death.

The rapper's death was never solved.

Continue Reading
Leon Bennett

John Singleton In Coma After Suffering From A Stroke

John Singleton is reportedly in a coma after suffering from a major stroke, TMZ reports.

The Boyz N the Hood filmmaker has reportedly been in the ICU since last weekend. According to legal documents obtained by TMZ, Singleton's mother, Sheila Ward, is asking a judge to appoint her temporary conservator of his work because he is "unable to properly provide for his personal needs for physical health, food, clothing, or shelter." Singleton was reportedly working on several projects and preparing to sign a lucrative settlement agreement at the time of his stroke, according to Ward.

As previously reported, Singleton suffered a stroke on April 17, after returning from Costa Rica. After experiencing problems with his legs, he reportedly checked into Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles where he suffered a stroke in his hospital room.

This story is developing.


View this post on Instagram


Goodbye Costa Rica... one of my new favorite places in the world.... so much to see so little time...

A post shared by JOHN SINGLETON (@johnsingleton) on Mar 6, 2019 at 1:07pm PST

Continue Reading
Isaac Brekken/Getty Images

Bun B's Lawyer Provides Update On Attempted Armed Robbery Aftermath

On Tuesday (April 24), Bun B confronted an armed robber, who was later identified as 20-year-old DeMonte Jackson. The latter attempted to rob the legendary rapper's home but acted swiftly with his own registered firearm. When Bun B's wife, Angela "Queenie" Walls answered a knock on the door, a masked Freeman entered with his weapon but was later met with the Trill rapper's fire and was detained at a hospital while being treated for his wounds.

In a statement provided to XXL, lawyer Charles Adams said he doesn't expect charges to be filed against the Texas native. "In Texas, you can defend your home. And if an armed home invader breaks into your home and puts a gun at your wife's head, you can shoot the guy if he's still in your home," Adams said. "Honestly, this might sound cheesy, thank God that Bun had a gun. Thank God that he was courageous enough to defend his home and his wife [Queenie]. And thank God Queenie was courageous enough to not let the man go upstairs."

As Queenie led Jackson to the garage, Bun B, born Bernard Freeman, became aware of the incident from another part of the house and opened fire on Jackson. The latter was charged with one count of burglary plus two levies of aggravated robbery.

Continue Reading

Top Stories