iChat Image1721099286 iChat Image1721099286

V Exclusive: 'Christmas In Harlem' Producer Hit-Boy Talks Finished New Dipset/G.O.O.D. Music Collaboration

West Coast based producer Hit-Boy may not be the most recognizable name on the shelf but his music has already backed the vocals for a number of hip-hop’s elite.

Crafting Eminem and Lil Wayne’s first collaboration (“Drop The World”) and Mary J. Blige’s ’09 hit single (“Stronger”), the 23-year-old beatsmith also lent his hand to the making of Kanye West’s first Christmas-inspired record, a collaboration between Dipset and G.O.O.D. Music.

“My boy Dala Roc hooked me up with Kanye’s cousin, Ricky," Hit-Boy told VIBE earlier today (Dec. 15). "This was around the time when he started working on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I just kept sending him beats to try and get one on there. Then, on the night of Kanye’s New York release party, Ricky called saying Kanye wanted to use one of my beats for a Christmas song.”

That faithful record sprung a leak earlier this afternoon when an unfinished version of “Christmas In Harlem” hit the blogosphere. Hit-Boy admits that he initially had no intentions for the record to hold a holiday theme, but Kanye wanted to take it to the North Pole.

“There are some Marvin Gaye interpolations in there and it has that old-school feel to it,” he continues of the record, which will feature Cam’Ron, Jim Jones, Vado, Pusha T, Big Sean, and Musiq Soulchild in its final version, according to a Kanye West tweet earlier today. “I never really heard it as a Christmas song but when Kanye heard it, he said it sounded like some classic Christmas music.”

While he had no comment regarding Dipset’s recent Kanye diss track over the "Runaway" instrumental, the producer assures that any past beef is just water under the bridge, “I know Jim Jones killed it, that’s all I’m going to say.”

Hit-Boy says the completed version of the record hits iTunes on Thursday (Dec. 16). —Mikey Fresh

From the Web

More on Vibe

Nicholas Hunt/Getty Images for NYFW: The Shows

Selah Marley Talks Childhood Trauma, Clarifies Comments About Parents

After an extensive video detailing a traumatic childhood, Selah Marley shared a follow-up video message on Instagram on Tuesday (Aug. 11) clarifying earlier comments about parents, Rohan Marley and Lauryn Hill.

In a since deleted video, Selah revealed that her father was an absentee parent and detailed some of the issues in her parents’ relationship that she witnessed as a child. She spoke about their breakup, being spanked as a child, and connected the dots between things that happened when she was younger and how they have impacted her behavior today.

Selah also shared that she had an emotional conversation with her father and plans to visit him this week. “At the end of the day you know that I would never come through to bash my parents.”

The “complex” issue is one of  nuance, the 21-year-old model explained.  “Really what I was discussing was how a lack of unity in the household can create severe trauma that you’re not even aware of. And now, I had to go back and see where these different things impact my life and how they impacted my life. At the end of the day, I never said my father was a f*cking deadbeat completely. I just said that he wasn’t as present as I needed him to be,” she said before adding, “Don’t go bashing my f*cking father and my family.”

Rohan showed a united front posting a throwback family photo Instagram  captioned in part, “Love unconditional.”

Watch Selah’s full video below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by @selah on Aug 11, 2020 at 2:44pm PDT

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Nick Cannon Is Not Suing ViacomCBS For $1.5 Billion, Says Rep

Nick Cannon’s camp is denying claims that he’s prepping a $1.5 billion lawsuit against ViacomCBS over his series, Wild ’N Out. Cannon’s rep said on Wednesday (Aug. 11) that reports about the massive legal action are “inaccurate,” the New York Daily News reports.

“Nick’s focus right now is on unifying communities and combatting bigotry, racism and hate of all kinds, not seeking personal financial gain.

The billion lawsuit was first reported by The Shade Room. A source allegedly told the outlet  that Cannon’s Wild ’N Out series “has brought billions of dollars in revenue to Viacom since 2015. And Nick deserves and has earned everything it is worth.”

Viacom cut ties with Cannon over anti-Semitic statements made in a clip from his YouTube show that went viral last month. Cannon, who had been apart of the Viacom family since he was a teenager, initially slammed the company, accusing them of “mistreating and robbing” the Black community “for years,” and banning ads supporting George Floyd and Breonna Taylor.

“I am deeply saddened in a moment so close to reconciliation that the powers that be missed an important moment for us to all grow closer together and learn more about each other,” Cannon wrote in a Facebook post. “Instead the moment was stolen and highjacked to make an exampled of an outspoken black man.”

Cannon went on to apologize to the Jewish community, as well as Viacom boss Shari Redstone, and vowed to take time to educate himself on the Jewish faith. Cannon later revealed that his great-grandfather was a  “Spanish Rabbi,” and published an opinion piece with Anti-Defamation League director, Jonathan Greenblatt, calling for unity between Black and Jewish communities amid the three-year anniversary of Charlottesville.

“Our powerful alliance didn’t solve all our problems, but it sought to elevate all of us,” the piece reads in part. “But in recent years, these ties have frayed. Our communal groups have not always partnered. Our collective interests often have diverged. Loud voices on the fringes have contributed to the distrust and create even more distance. Today, certain voices seem intent to push us even father apart. This needs to change. Now.”

Continue Reading
Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant reacts during the Game 6 of the 2008 NBA Finals in Boston, Massachusetts, June 17, 2008.
GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP

Orange County Declares Aug. 24 “Kobe Bryant Day” In Honor Of Basketball Legend

The Orange County Board of Supervisors voted on Tuesday (Aug. 11) to declare Aug. 24 as “Kobe Bryant Day.” The late NBA legend and longtime Orange County resident was a “treasured member” of the community who “inspired so many men and one to pursue their dreams and never give up,” O.C. County Board Chairwoman Michelle Steel said of Bryant.

The resolution reads, “The Orange County Board of supervisors recognizes August 24th as Kobe Bryant Day an encourages members of our community to continue Kobe Bryant’s legacy by engaging in community building helping young people in need, encouraging aspiring youth to follow their dreams, and living by Bryant’s words: ‘The most important thing is to try and inspire people so that they can be great in whatever they want to do.”

The date of Aug. 24 was chosen in honor of Bryant’s basketball jersey numbers 8 and 24. Bryant, who died in a helicopter crash in January alongside his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, would have celebrated his 42nd birthday later this month.

Bryant was drafted into the NBA directly out of high school in 1996. His list of accolades includes winning five NBA championships, being an 18-time NBA All-Star, a 2008 NBA MVP, and a two-time NBA Finals MVP winner.

The Lakers star, who was the only player in the NBA to have two jersey numbers retired, became one of the biggest names in basketball and used the sport as a launching pad to help others. Bryant, and his wife Vanessa, founded the Bryant Family Foundation aimed at helping young people in need and “encouraging the development of physical and social skills” through sports. Bryant also opened the Black Mamba Sports Academy, which is where he was headed on the morning of the tragic fatal crash.

Continue Reading

Top Stories