cs_47665

Russell Simmons Explains Why Tracy Morgan Is Genuinely Sorry

Tracy Morgan was genuinely devastated when he learned that he had hurt people with the anti-gay jokes in his comedy routine in Nashville, Russell Simmons tells PopEater. Simmons says he was one of the first people the comedian opened up to following the fall-out from his offensive standup.

Simmons, who is an equal rights activist and champion of gay marriage said he immediately called Morgan to tell him how upset he was and what he thought Tracy should do about making amends.

Via PopEater:

"He was so happy to hear my voice. He had been crying. He was really devastated," Simmons tells us. "He spilled his guts to me."

When he heard about Tracy's joke saying that if his son was gay he'd "stab him", Simmons felt it was his job as a pro-gay marriage supporter to set him straight (no pun intended).

"The sad truth is that sometimes artists and rappers say what people in their community are thinking. I knew that Tracy was a person who wants to make people laugh and that he said what he said because in the communities he plays to there is homophobia. It is prevalent," Simmons said.

Now Simmons says Tracy must use his platform to eradicate homophobia. Simmons, who takes activism very, very seriously, told us that he genuinely believes that Morgan will take this on as his personal cause.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Blueface Uses Transphobic Language To Call Out Fan Who Entered His DM's

Rapper Blueface reportedly exposed DM's allegedly sent by one of his transgender female fans, and in doing so, he called the young woman "it."

According to the "Thotiana" rapper's Instagram Story, a young woman attempted to spend the night with him and slid into his DM's. However, he details he was not interested, and used transphobic language in his photo evidence.

"'It' tryed [sic] to get me wit all these d**c succing [sic] videos," the 22-year-old wrote. "Not happening that's out...If you think I linked up wit this t***ny you smoking d**c." He posted a few of the messages sent by the young woman, which appeared to be unanswered. However, many pointed out that his responses to her inquiries were deleted for his own Story.

Blueface is currently facing prison time stemming from his arrest for possession of an unregistered handgun. The charge is a felony, and reportedly carries a maximum of three years behind bars. In November 2018, the California native was allegedly involved in a robbery and a vehicle-to-vehicle gunfight.

As expected, his personal life and views don't appear to be affecting his professional life. His song "Thotiana" is sitting at No. 20 on the Billboard Hot 100.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by DJ Akademiks (@akadmiks) on Feb 20, 2019 at 8:13pm PST

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Two New Accusers Come Forward With Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against R. Kelly

Two new R. Kelly accusers have come forward, adding to the myriad of sexual misconduct claims against the R&B singer. Per TMZ, the accusers, who are choosing to remain anonymous until further notice, held a press conference this morning (Feb. 21) in New York City.

One of the alleged victims claims that in 1995, she and her friend were invited by Kelly to an after-party after he spotted them in the crowd during one of his concerts.

The woman (then-16) recounted that she and her friend (then-15) called into a local radio station and discussed that they were in a hotel room with R. Kelly. She then stated that when Kelly entered the room, his penis was exposed and he attempted to coax the then-teens into a threesome. While her friend hid in the bathroom after declining his advance, the woman says she was forced into non-consensual sex with Kelly.

The accusers are being represented by Gloria Allred, who says that her clients were taken advantage of by The Pied Piper after being given drugs and alcohol.

This news comes one week after a newly-surfaced sex tape involving R. Kelly and an underage girl made headlines. It is not the same infamous tape from the early-2000s. It is also unclear if the two new accusers will be involved in Michael Avenatti's prosecution against Kelly. The attorney was presented the latest sex tape by Chicago's Cook County State Attorney's Office.

Continue Reading
Chicago Police Department

Jussie Smollett Released On $100K On Bail

Jussie Smollett was reportedly released from Chicago police custody on Thursday (Feb. 21), after posting $100,000 bail, CNN confirms.

Police and prosecutors held a press conference, in which they listed a series of evidence that would corroborate their claim that Smollett staged the homophobic and racist attack that occurred against him in Jan. 2019.

The prosecutors confirmed a chronology of the events leading up to and after the attack. They cited phone and credit card records from both Smollett and the Osundairo brothers who were reportedly paid $3,500 to act out the incident.

As previously reported, the Empire actor was arrested and taken into custody in Chicago earlier this morning on one count of disorderly conduct for filing a false police report. The police claimed the actor staged the attack because he was upset about his low salary.

"Jussie Smollett took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career," Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie T. Johnson said. "Why would anyone especially an African-American man, use the symbolism of a noose to make false accusations? ... How can an individual who’s been embraced by the city of Chicago turn around and slap everyone in the city in the face with these false claims?"

Continue Reading

Top Stories