V Playlist: Rita Ora, Tinie Tempah, Stalley, Schoolboy Q, Marcus Manchild, Bun B
VIBE's Daily Additions To The Pod
VIBE's Daily Additions To The Pod
Former ABC president, Channing Dungey, is heading to Neflix. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Dungey will officially join the company early next year in a "newly created leadership role" as a vice president of original titles.
Dungey will work directly with fellow vp, Cindy Holland, and Netflix’s chief content officer, Ted Saranados. Her position involves overseeing the streaming network's current deals, which include the Obamas’ Higher Ground Productions company.
The move also re-teams Dungey with Shonda Rhimes’ and Black-Ish creator, Kenya Barriss, both of whom left ABC and signed with Netflix.
In addition, Dungey will oversee a group of executives who have worked on Narcos, House of Cards, and other big shows on the streaming network.
"I'm drawn to the forward-thinking, risk-taking and creative culture at Netflix, and the deeply talented people there, especially Ted and Cindy, with whom I’m excited to partner on setting the strategy for original content," Dungey said in a statement. "Given that ABC, the place I’ve called home for nearly 15 years, represents the gold standard of traditional broadcast, it feels like the perfect next step for me to join Netflix, the unparalleled leader in streaming. I'm invigorated by the challenges ahead and the opportunity to forge new relationships, and excited for the very welcome reunion with incredible talent."
In 2016, Dungey was named president of ABC, making her the first Black woman to lead any of the four major networks. She began her career with the company in 2004, and worked her way up to executive vice president of the network’s drama division developing hit shows such as Scandal, Quantico, Hot To Get Away with Murder and American Crime, before being promoted to network lead. Her exit from ABC came in November, shortly after firing Roseanne Barr for making racist comments.
READ MORE: The Obamas Sign A Multi-Year Production Deal With Netflix
After Green Book, the 2018 film chronicling the life of the famous jazz musician, Dr. Donald Waldridge Shirley was called a "symphony of lies" by the remaining family members, Mahershala Ali (who plays Shiley) has issued a private apology to the living relatives. Calling Dr. Shirley's nephew Edwin Shirley III and brother Maurice Shirley, Ali offered his regrets for the films facade.
"I got a call from Mahershala Ali, a very, very respectful phone call, from him personally," Edwin said. "He called me and my Uncle Maurice in which he apologized profusely if there had been any offense. What he said was, 'If I have offended you, I am so, so terribly sorry. I did the best I could with the material I had. I was not aware that there were close relatives with whom I could have consulted to add some nuance to the character.'"
The film depicted a black man (Shirley) and a racist Italian-American driver, Tony "Lip" Vallelonga who became unlikely friends after spending time on the road together, but according to Maurice, no such bond existed. Instead, the two men hated each other, resulting in Vallelonga's eventual termination, Edwin said in an interview with Shadow And Act.
Though the film has received excellent reviews and academy award nominations the film has been shrouded in scandal since hitting theaters Nov. 21.
READ MORE: Viggo Mortensen Apologizes For Using N-Word While Promoting Film With Mahershala Ali
Fortnite isn't going to get away with stealing artists' viral dance moves, and both actors and rappers are making sure of it. The Fresh Prince star Alfonso Ribiero is reportedly suing Fortnite and game distributor Epic Games for stealing the "Carlton dance," which he first made popular as Carlton Banks on the hit, 90s sitcom.
In the court docs, obtained by TMZ, Alfonso says that Fortnite released a new dance called the "Fresh emote" on Jan. 2018, which looks identical to the "Carlton dance." As you may remember, the "Carlton dance" features is performed by swinging your arms and legs from side to side in a silly or nerdy manner. He is reportedly in the midst of copyrighting the dance, according to the lawsuit.
"It is widely recognized that Mr. Ribeiro’s likeness and intellectual property have been misappropriated by Epic Games in the most popular video game currently in the world, Fortnite," Ribiero's attorney, David Hecht of Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht LLP, told TMZ. "Epic has earned record profits off of downloadable content in the game, including emotes like “Fresh.” Yet Epic has failed to compensate or even ask permission from Mr. Ribeiro for the use of his likeness and iconic intellectual property."
As previously reported, Fortnite came under fire earlier this year for including a series of dance moves that were almost identical to those created by viral stars. Ribiero's lawsuit comes shortly after 2 Milly sued Epic Games for hijacking the "Milly Rock."
It is unclear how much Ribiero is asking for at this time. Hopefully both he and 2 Milly receive what they are owed.
READ MORE: 2 Milly Sues Fortnite For Using Milly Rock Dance In Game