Breaking! Waka Flocka Takes Over As VIBE's Editor-In-Chief
Jay-Z and Roc Nation Sports are reportedly being sued by former boxer, Daniel Franco, for the severe brain damage he suffered as a result of being pressured into competing in three fights within 79 days, TMZ reports.
Franco reportedly inked a deal with the sports division of the multifaceted company in 2015. It wasn't until 2017 that Franco ran into some medical issues. The athlete claims he came down with the flu before a big match and was unable to train for three weeks as a result. Franco said he told Roc Nation that he needed to postpone or cancel the match, but the label allegedly pressured him into keeping his schedule.
Unfortunately, Franco lost in the third round. He should have taken time off to recover from his loss, but Roc Nation reportedly booked him to fight another match only 50 days later. The company then booked a third fight a month after.
As a result, Franco said he suffered two skull fractures and a brain bleed before he even stepped into the ring for his third fight. Despite his unsatisfactory bill of health, he fought in the third match, lost, and suffered more brain damage in the process.
Franco said he was later diagnosed with a brain hemorrhage and briefly fell into a coma. Doctors were forced to remove a piece of his skull to relieve pressure from the bleed.
Franco awoke from his coma two weeks later, but he claims he still has severe neurological and cognitive issues and is required to wear a helmet at all times. Franco claims Roc Nation is liable because the company never took the proper steps to make sure he was medically fit to fight.
Eric Holder has been in indicted for fatally shooting Nipsey Hussle and injuring two others, the Los Angeles District attorney announced in a news release Tuesday (May 21).
A grand jury indicted the 29-year-old suspect on one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder and assault with a firearm, and a single count of possession of a firearm by a felon. Holder was indicted on May 9, but the document were made public Tuesday.
Holder pleaded not guilty to the charges. He stands accused of killing Hussle in front of his Marathon Clothing store in South Los Angeles on March 31. The 33-year-old rapper and father of two was shot six times before being pronounced dead at a local hospital.
After the shooting, Holder fled the scene but was arrested in nearby Bellflower, Calif., two days later. He is currently being held on $6.53 million bail. According to TMZ, Holder allegedly pistol whipped a man one hour before Hussle was gunned down.
Last week, Holder’s defense attorney, Christopher Darden, stepped down after receiving death threats.
“I cannot understand why in 2019 some people would deny a black man his 6th Amendment right to counsel of his choice,” Darden wrote on Facebook. “Or why defending such a man should invite threats not only against me but against my children too.”
If convicted, Holder faces life in prison. He is scheduled to return to court for a pretrial hearing on June 18.
Melvin Edmonds, singer from the Grammy-nominated ’90s R&B group After 7, and brother to Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds, died over the weekend. He was 65.
Melvin passed away Saturday (May 18) following a short illness, his son confirmed to the Indy Star. The group's surviving members released a statement via social media expressing their sadness and grief over Melvin’s death.
“[We’re] deeply hurt/saddened by unexpected/sudden loss of brother/friend/dad Melvin D. Edmonds,” read a tweet posted Monday (May 20). The statement went on to thank fans for the “tremendous outpouring” of love, support and prayers. “[We’re] doing our best [to] cope. [Thank you for your] understanding in giving us [the] time we need during these difficult days.”
WeR deeply hurt/saddened by unexpected/sudden loss May 18 of brother/friend/dad Melvin D Edmonds age 65 Thks/appreciation 2ALL4 tremendous outpouring of love/support/prayers. WeR doing our best 2cope ThkU4 yr understanding in giving us th time we need during these difficult days pic.twitter.com/G8iC2xUdQu
— After 7 Music (@After7Music) May 21, 2019
After 7 was founded in 1987 by Melvin, his brother Kevon Edmonds, and classmate Keith Mitchell. The Indianapolis group released two consecutive platinum albums, the first of which was their self-titled debut album in 1989. The album was led by the single “Heat of the Moment,” which peaked in the Top 20 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
The group released other hit singles including “Ready or Not,” “Can’t Stop,” and “Sara Smile.” Melvin left the group after their third album was released in 1995. He was replaced by his son, Jason.
After 7 released their most recent album, Timeless, in 2016. The project featured the single “If I,” produced by Babyface.