Things Women Should Know – The Basics
After writing my post a while back about women who can’t cook, I began to think about what other basic life skills there are that women should know. I thought about all of the things, like cooking, that seem so obvious, yet go so overlooked. I realized that the list could seriously go on forever, but for now I’m narrowing it down to an important few. So without further adieu, here is (in no particular order), my list of basic things all women should know.
- Know how to balance a check book. This is definitely one I learned late in the game myself and while I don’t really write checks and can pretty much keep track of my finances in my head, it’s a good thing to know how to do.
- Know how to save money. So many of my friends know how to spend money, but their bank accounts are two snack wraps away from piss poor. They have Louie bags and pretty dresses, but only $200 in the bank and often times little to nothing in their savings, then when emergencies come up they have no cushion to fall on. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but save….and not to buy expensive shoes, but to invest in your future. Suze Orman is a pro at teaching women how to save, her books are definitely something every female should have.
- Know your body. No not in a sexual way! But know your body well enough to know when something is off. You can’t be a fly diva if you’re too sick to move or worse yet, dead.
- Know how to put on a condom. It sounds silly, but you wouldn’t believe how many friends I know that have ended up having unprotected sex because they fell for some fool’s okie doke line about not knowing how to put one on. There are too many diseases out there. Learn how to do it and learn quickly.
- Know how to keep a clean house. No one wants to be around a dirty woman. Like my granny says, if a woman’s house ain’t clean, neither is her…
- Know how to pump gas, change a tire and read a map. No deep reason for this. It’s just so when you’re ready to pick up and go, you can with no worries.
- Know how to manage your time and multitask. You’ll be amazed at how much you can accomplish.
- Know when to say no. I know I just said you should know how to multitask, but multitasking doesn’t mean that you have to do EVERYTHING for EVERYBODY, ALL THE TIME. It’s okay to say no sometimes and anyone who truly cares about you will understand.
- Know your religion or spiritual base. Understand that there is something bigger than you out there and get in touch with it. It will keep you grounded and lead you in the right and positive direction.
- Know the world outside of your neighborhood/city/state/country. The world is a big place, get to know it. Make sure you travel far and travel often. Take the time to learn about other cultures and gain a broader sense of the global community. The experiences you have abroad can change you in ways you wouldn’t even imagine.
- Know who your true friends are. Not everyone in your life deserves to be there. Take inventory of who is truly looking out for your best interests and cut loose any dead weight. Life is too short to be weighed down by people who don’t wish you well.
Did I miss anything? What’s on your ‘must know’ list?