5 Reasons to Go See 'Sparkle'
As theaters prepare the spotlight for the star-studded premiere of the hit musical drama Sparkle, VIXEN decided to slip a little teaser your way. Trust, the Salim Akil-directed film will have much more to offer!
1. Whitney Houston still got it. Though it will pain moviegoers to witness the talent of the late songbird, her illuminating performance of "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" will leave goosebumps along the skin. Throw in her acting expertise as matriarch of the singing sister trio and that in itself can serve as the sole reason to watch.
2. Satin is the villain you'll love to hate. Mike Epps converts his comedic side for the sinister role of Satin Struthers, the high-nosed television personality. While his flashy ways may hook desperate divas, the slick high-roller gets what's coming to him.
3. Conservative style is back! The fashion of the 1960s was all about the glitz and glam embodied in sparkly dresses and tailored fits. Whether it was a peek of thigh in a short skirt, a backless top or a teasing neckline, the ensembles donned by Jordin Sparks, Carmen Ejogo and Tika Sumpter brought the sexy back without the skanky.
4. There is no shortage of eye candy. Whether a screening of Sparkle hosts a girls' night out or a movie-for-two, there are enticing visuals all around. Sister (played by Carmen Ejogo) and her sisters cater to the fellas' needs while Stix (Derek Luke) and Levi (Omari Hardwick) satisfy the ladies' cravings.
5. Dreams are worth the chasing. Though Sparkle is a remake of a 1976 classic, the Motown era played host to ambitious dreams on-and-off the music scene. If searching for an uplifting film with lighthearted humor and spot-on soundtracking, this is the flick for you!