o-mel-greig-570 o-mel-greig-570

Australian DJs Fired After Deadly Prank

Mel Greig and Michael Christian, hosts of Australian radio show 2Day FM, have lost their jobs over the royal phone prank that spiraled out of control. Last week, the two DJs posed as Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles when they called the UK Hospital where a pregnant Kate Middleton was being treated for morning sickness. The pre-recorded joke was broadcast on their show, inciting global backlash. The hoax took a turn for the worse when the nurse who was on the other end of the call was found dead days later. As a result the show's network, Southern Cross Austereo, has cancelled their show. Network executive Rhys Holleran issued a public apology. "First and foremost we would like to express our deep and sincere condolences to the family for their loss. We are very sorry for what has happened," he said. "We don’t claim to be perfect and we always strive to do better. We have initiated a detailed and rigorous review of our policies and procedures to inform any improvements we can make." Light-hearted spoofs are a normal part of radio hosting, so even the culprits themselves were surprised how far this particular one went. “They were the world’s worst accents ever. We were sure 100 people at least before us would’ve tried the same thing. We were expecting to be hung up on. We didn’t even know what to say when we got through,” Greig explained to listeners last week. The banter continued on Twitter with #RoyalPrank becoming a trending topic. Since the death of the King Edward VII Hospital nurse the disc jockeys have expressed deep sorrow. In an interview Greig said, “It came into my head that I just wanted to reach out to them (the family), give them a big hug and say sorry. I hope they’re OK, I really do.” She and her co-host are coping with the tragedy through therapy. Currently nurse Jacintha Saldanha's death is under investigation and is listed as "unexplained". She was forty-six and leaves behind a husband and two children.

Sources: FOX, SCMP

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Pete Davidson On R. Kelly: "He Should Be Shot In The F**king Face"

R. Kelly's latest scandal is hitting the comedy stage. Saturday Night Live's Pete Davidson addressed the sex abuse allegations against R. Kelly during his stand-up routine at The Bell House in Brooklyn on Monday (Jan. 21), and he didn't hold any of his feelings about the disgraced singer back.

According to attendees at the show, Davidson spoke candidly about watching the Lifetime docuseries Surviving R. Kelly and the consequences that Kelly should receive as a result of his years of alleged abuse and misconduct. "I thought I was having a bad year," the comedian joked, according to Us Weekly.  "[Kelly] should get shot in the f**king face."

Pete is the latest celebrity to speak out against Kelly. He follows criticism from John Legend, Lady Gaga, Omarion, and more.

Davidson also discussed his relationship withe x-girlfriend Ariana Grande during his segment. He reportedly joked about Grande's previous comments about his large manhood. According to the SNL star however, his penis is fairly average. "[Ariana is a] tiny lady, so everything to her is huge," he said. "Every girl for the rest of my life who sees my penis will be disappointed."

Continue Reading
Ser Baffo

Chris Brown To Sue Rape Accuser For Defamation

Chris Brown is reportedly gearing up to take legal action against the woman who accused him of raping her at a hotel in Paris. The singer will reportedly sue her for defamation, TMZ reports.

Brown's Parisian lawyer, Raphael Chiche, says his client adamantly denies the allegations and plans to challenge them in court. "Chris Brown is free. No lawsuits were filed against him," Chiche said in a statement. "He vigorously challenges the charges against him. A complaint for slanderous denunciation will be filed tomorrow with the public prosecutor of Paris."

As previously reported, Brown was arrested on Jan. 22, after a 24-year-old woman filed a complaint claiming that he violently raped her in his Paris hotel. He was released from police custody without charges. Shortly after the incident, Brown took to Instagram where he claimed that the woman was lying. Another woman also jumped to the singer's defense, stating that he was not at the scene at the time of the alleged assault.

While the singer is free to leave the country, an official investigation into the alleged incident is still ongoing. It does not appear that Brown or his legal team have filed the defamation suit at this time.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Erykah Badu Denies Producers Contacted Her For 'Surviving R. Kelly'

Erykah Badu is hitting back against dream hampton after she claimed that producers of Surviving R. Kelly contacted the singer to appear in the Lifetime docuseries. Badu claims that she was never contacted, and would like hampton to provide the receipts or apologize.

It all started when a fan pointed out that Badu and R. Kelly worked with one another years ago, which is why she allegedly chose not to be apart of the docuseries. Erykah rejected that comment, stating that she had never worked with him on music or declined to appear in the documentary.

Hampton stepped in by claiming that a producer attempted to contact Badu, but did not receive a response. "I asked Producer T. Farris to contact @fatbellybella to be in doc because I wanted clarity on two things: 1) a quote attributed to her, 'No one has done more for Black people than R. Kelly' & 2) what she was thinking when she called him her "brother" at Soul Train Awards," dream tweeted.

Badu quickly responded: No ma’am. I WAS NOT EVER contacted by anyone to be in [email protected] You know that’s not true. I wasn’t a necessary component. You had all the right people, the ones close to the situation...But for now, produce this “producer’s” request or... APOLOGIZE. It’s simple."

Badu and hampton's latest back and forth comes only days after the neo-soul artist was criticized for seemingly defending R. Kelly amid his sexual abuse allegations at a concert in Chicago. She later clarified her remarks about the disgraced singer, saying that she did not approve of his actions, but believed he was deserving of love and assistance.

Check out Badu and hampton's exchange below.

I asked Producer T. Farris to contact @fatbellybella to be in doc because I wanted clarity on two things: 1) a quote attributed to her, "No one has done more for Black people than R. Kelly" & 2) what she was thinking when she called him her "brother" at Soul Train Awards. https://t.co/yYBvP8bBIj

— dream hampton (@dreamhampton) January 22, 2019

No ma’am. I WAS NOT EVER contacted by anyone to be in [email protected] You know that’s not true. I wasn’t a necessary component. You had all the right people, the ones close to the situation...But for now, produce this “producer’s” request or... APOLOGIZE. It’s simple. https://t.co/cgBcpPePMI

— ErykahBadoula (@fatbellybella) January 23, 2019

Continue Reading

Top Stories