VicMensaMain

Vic Mensa Talks New Mixtape, Explains Kids These Days Split: 'We All Felt A Lot Of Frustration'

Chicago music lovers were left with a bittersweet taste yesterday when news spread that the acclaimed band, Kids These Days, noted for recent performances at SXSW and Coachella, was breaking up after years of creating genre-defying music.

Lead rapper Vic Mensa attributed the split to band members disagreeing about the direction in which their music was heading.

“It was around the time of SXSW," Mensa told VIBE yesterday (May 8), on a late-night phone call. "Liam [the group’s guitarist and singer] said he wanted to leave the band. It just got to a point where he felt stifled by my role in the band and the role of rap and hip-hop and the things I brought to the table.”

But Mensa added that there wasn't only one dissenter; the group was collectively moving in differing directions. “He’s not the only one that’s been frustrated with Kids These Days. We all felt a lot of frustration," the 19-year-old rapper said. "It was just a big group with no leader and so many different roles being played by so many talented people. Everybody’s got to compromise.".

As he ventures into a new chapter in his career while working on his upcoming mixtape, INNANETAPE, due this summer, Mensa says he's eager and excited to finally do things 100 percent his way.

“I’ve been working on the INNANETAPE for a while. Since I really started going hard with that shit, I’ve been getting out my creativity,” he said. “I have an outlet for things I didn’t feel like I could do in Kids These Days. I’m excited.”

After showcasing his impeccable flow and lyricism on the highly-talked-about Chance the Rapper track, “Cocoa Butter Kisses,” many are crowning him as one of the next in line to put on for the Chi.

“Vic is my brother in this rap shit,” Chance tells VIBE. “ We came up together and have always pushed each other to be better. He’s next.”

RELATED: Q&A - Chance The Rapper Talks 'Acid Rap' Mixtape, LSD Trips And Working With Skrillex and RZA

In working on his solo project, Vic has found the silver lining after the group’s split. He's eager to introduce and establish himself as a solo force.

“I want people to walk away with a sense of who I am as a person, as an artist, just enjoying being alive," says Mensa. "Through music, we can enjoy and appreciate the darkest parts of our lives. Making music is cool, because something you can feel terrible about…you can find a little bit of consoling in music for those harder times. That’s what I want to do with this mixtape and hopefully make some shit that goes down as classics.” —Shannon Powell

From the Web

More on Vibe

Vic Mensa Apologized To XXXTentacion's Mother Over BET Freestyle Diss

Vic Mensa sparked controversy earlier this year after he took jabs at XXXTentacion's abusive past during a freestyle at the 2018 BET Hip-Hop Awards. Many criticized the timing of his diss, saying he shouldn't have said it while X's mother was in attendance to accept her son's award. While Vic stated that he doesn't regret his comments, he admitted that he did apologize to X's mom.

"I actually reached out to his mother personally,” the rapper said during an appearance on radio's "The Breakfast Club" on Monday (Dec. 10). "I apologized to her because I didn’t know she would be in attendance… I wouldn’t walk back any of my statements because what I said, I meant. And some more truth came to light not long after."

He also mentioned that although his timing was inappropriate, his talking points were important and necessary. "At the end of the day, I do think that the conversation that I was trying to bring up and that I did bring up is a super necessary conversation," he continued. "Maybe the way of going about it was not the best for the time, but I think the conversation is one that had to be had – talking about violence against women and misogyny in hip-hop, but particularly violence against women. I had a lot of people on the low reach out to me and thank me for that."

As previously mentioned, XXXTentacion was accused of physically abusing his then-pregnant, ex-girlfriend. Vic's freestyle included the lines: "Only time you bear arms is in a wife beater, loser/Your favorite rapper is an abuser." Weeks after the viral diss, audio obtained by Pitchfork, revealed the rapper admitting to committing physical harm against her and others.

Check out Vic Mensa full interview above.

Continue Reading
Vivien Killilea

Romeo May Have Landed A Role In 'Bad Boys For Life'

Bad Boys 3 is officially going down, and there's going to be a lot of new changes. The biggest change seems to be major additions to the film's cast. In fact, Romeo Miller recently hopped on social media on Tuesday (Dec. 11), suggesting that he could be the newest addition to the Bad Boys team.

Romeo shared a photo of an email for a callback to the Bad Boys set on his Instagram Stories on Dec. 11. "When you get callbacks and opportunity to work alongside your idols, @martinlawrence and @willsmith, you go study and go ghost," the rapper-turned-actor said, mentioning stars Martin Lawrence and Will Smith.

Romeo isn't the only hip-hop star to possibly land a role in the forthcoming movie. Nicky Jam also suggested he was going out for a part during an interview with TMZ in Nov. 2018. "I actually came her because I'm doing a casting for a movie," he said at the time.

As previously reported Will Smith and Martin Lawrence announced that the third installment of the Bad Boys franchise is finally happening after years of negotiating. The upcoming film, entitled, Bad Boys For Life, is expected to premiere in Jan. 2020.

Check out Romeo's post below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Looks like #Romeo May be joining the #BadBoys3 crew! Are y’all here for it, #Roomies!?

A post shared by The Shade Room (@theshaderoom) on Dec 11, 2018 at 10:13am PST

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Safaree Says He's Over His Beef With Meek Mill: "He Ain't On No B.S"

Safaree is ready to leave the ill feelings in 2018. In a forthcoming episode of BET's Rants, Safaree dished about his previously beef with Meek Mill, insisting that he was way over the drama.

During the episode, Safaree addressed Meek's new attitude and maturity level. "As far as Meek—and I can see in Meek and everything he does now—he's way more mature than he was even a year ago," Safaree said. "From what he's been through, I can tell he ain't on no B.S. because when I hosted the BET Pre-Awards and all that, [Rick] Ross was there. Me and Ross, we spoke, we chopped it up and Meek was right there."

He also stated that he's moving on and focusing his energy elsewhere. "It was what it was. The s**t happened. Ain't nobody die. I'm over that."

As previously reported, Safaree and Meek's beef started in 2017, over what seemed to be the common denominator: Nicki Minaj. Meek started dating the rapper after her 10-year long romance with the Love & Hip Hop star.

Things escalated after Safaree accused Meek and his crew of jumping him during the 2017 BET Awards weekend in Los Angeles. Footage taken during the incident shows Safaree talking to some people at the same time that Meek hops out of his vehicle a couple of feet away. Soon after, someone is seen throwing a punch at Safaree. At the time, Safaree called Meek the "biggest pu**y on the planet, but he clearly has a change of heart now.

It's unclear if Meek and Safaree have officially made up, but this wouldn't be the first reconciliation that happened involving the CHAMPIONSHIPS artist. He previously made up with Drake in Sept. 2018.

Safaree's episode of Rants airs on BET on Dec. 11.

Continue Reading

Top Stories