Watch: Robin Thicke Talks Justin Timberlake and 'Blurred Lines'

Robin Thicke sat down with Hot 97’s morning show to discuss the success of his single “Blurred Lines” with Pharrell and T.I. Amongst banter about the song’s x-rated video and reactions from his wife Paula Patton, his infamous comparison to Justin Timberlake reared its heads in the interview. Thick discussed the timing of JT’s 20/20 Experience comeback and how it affected his upcoming release.

“He actually helped me a lot because his sound went more R&B and more soulful, and that’s what I’ve been doing my whole career. It really opened up the door,” Thick said.

Though hosts Cipha Sounds and Peter Rosenberg attempted to stir up some playful “white-on-white crime,” Thick remained composed and respectful of his contemporary.

“The thing is him and I grew up with the same influences: Michael Jackson/Prince era, a lot of Marvin Gaye,” he said. “And we’re just both white kids who grew up in a hip-hop generation. So I think it’s natural that going to have some similarities.”

Thicke also talked about the new, lighter sound he offers on his upcoming album, also entitled Blurred Lines. Keeping with the single’s sound, the singer shares that the album is his most lighthearted yet.

“This is the least personal album I’ve made by far,” he told Hot 97. “I’ve really always really tried to be a serious, brooding artist and dig deep, and talk about my pain and insecurities and stuff. This time I didn’t want there to be any of that negativity. There’s still some depth on it, but its much more fun.”

Stirring up the anticipation, Thicke gave the morning show an exciting tidbit about his follow-up single: it was co-written with will.i.am, produced by Dr. Luke and will feature Kendrick Lamar. He also said that he just completed a record with Timbaland, Timberlake’s notable collaborator. He made a slight joke with the hosts about coming for Justin’s “number one spot.”

“Leave a little room for me at the top, Justin.”

Blurred Lines is scheduled for a July 30 release. Check out the Hot 97 interview here.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Animated Music Video XXXTentacion's "Sauce!" Is Released

A video for XXXTentacion's "Sauce!" has been released with animated flair.

Directed and animated by Tristian Zammit, the video blends various styles of anime with images of the rapper floating in the air. The song stems from the late rapper's latest posthumous release, XXXTentacion Presents: Members Only, Vol. 4. The project features friends and supporters of the rapper like Ski Mask the Slum God and affiliates Flyboy Tarantino, Kid Trunks, Tankhead, Bass Santana and more.

His affiliates are currently on a Members Only vs. The World tour, kicking off last month in California and bowing in Boston March 10.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

22 DAYS TILL THE MADNESS STARTS COMMENT YOUR CITY BELOW! 💜🌃

A post shared by “Moon” (@yungboitrunks) on Jan 1, 2019 at 5:00pm PST

This is XXXTentacion's second posthumous release since his death in June 2018. Skins was released with fans taking the album to the top of the Billboard charts, moving 132,000 equivalent albums. His tangled history with domestic violence has continued to play a part in the young rapper's legacy. At the Grammys, the 20-year-old's name wasn't included in the "In Memoriam" segment over his history of domestic violence.

Sources confirmed the reason to Variety while Academy president Neil Portnow previously shared thoughts on the possibility that XXXTentacion would or would not be included. The rapper's name was however on the longer list of late musicians on the Grammys website.

“I will tell you it’s a daunting challenge,” said Portnow. “We track those that we lose in our industry in any given year and then we have a process by which we go through it. Our on-air in memoriam — we’re lucky if we wind up [featuring] 10 to 15 percent of those we lose. Because it’s always hard choices. All of that is to say, I don’t have any answers for you now, but obviously, artists who were prominent and well-known by the public are people who are recognized and we’ll just wind up having to see how it plays out.”

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Childish Gambino Announces New European Tour Dates With H.E.R.

Childish Gambino has added a handful of international dates to his "This Is America" tour with fellow Grammy-award-winning singer H.E.R.

Announced through his creative agency and management team wolf + rothstein on Instagram Friday (Feb. 15), the dates will be a delight to fans in Paris and London. Gambino and H.E.R. will perform at the London's O2 Arena March 24 and March 25 and will reach Paris' AccorHotels Arena March 27. The announcement comes fresh off of the artists' big wins at the 2019 Grammys.

Gambino took home four gramophones including Best Music Video for "This Is America" as well as Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Rap/Sung Performance. He also made history as "This Is America" was the first rap record to take home Record of the Year.

H.E.R.'s debut at the Grammys was just as bright as the VIBE cover star took home Best R&B Album for her eponymous double-EP. She also took home an award for Best R&B Performance with Daniel Ceasar for their lovely duet, "Best Part."

Speaking with VIBE, H.E.R. dropped a few hints about an upcoming European tour and plans to release her debut studio album.

“I’m so thankful for all the stuff that happened in 2018 and now 2019 is even crazier,” she said. “There’s so much going on, so many places that I’ll be going to that I haven’t seen, but I’m definitely going to drop an official album, a real album because the projects that I dropped weren’t even official. They were just EPs and it’s about elevation this year.”

Meanwhile, Gambino shared a piece of new music during his new Google Pixel 3 ad titled, "Human Sacrifice." The ad feature's the platform's latest "Playmoji" creation with Gambino dancing off against his.

Check out the tour announcement below and cop tickets here.

Continue Reading
Jussie Smollett attends the 2018 Fox Network Upfront at Wollman Rink, Central Park on May 14, 2018 in New York City.
Roy Rochlin/Getty Images

Men Arrested In Jussie Smollett Attack Released From Custody Without Charge

The two men arrested and questioned by Chicago Police are no longer considered persons of interest in the Jussie Smollett attack. Olabijo and Abimbola Osundairo were released without charge “due to new evidence” in the case, police spokesperson Anthony Guglielmo said Friday (Feb. 15).

“The individuals questioned by police in the 'Empire' case have now been released without charging,” Guglielmo tweeted.

Authorities initially arrested the Osundairo brothers on battery charges. Guglielmo also added that  “investigators have additional work to complete.”

Case Update: Due to new evidence as a result of today's interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete. pic.twitter.com/Hswn1Qjgcy

— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) February 16, 2019

Gloria Schmidt, an attorney for the brothers, told reporters that there are still a lot of “moving parts” in the case. “My guys are innocent of the charge and they're going home,” she said.

Smollett told authorities that he was attacked by two masked men who shouted racist and homophobic epithets before punching him, tying a nose around his neck and pouring bleach on him. He recounted the attack in an interview with Good Morning America Thursday (Feb. 14), telling anchor Robin Roberts that he fought back before the attackers fled.

Authorities raided the brothers home earlier in the week removing several items including bleach and rope.

Schmidt previously confirmed that the brothers worked with Smollett on Empire, and didn’t understand how they became “people of interest” in the case.

 

Continue Reading

Top Stories