That's Mad Decent: How A Block Party Became An International Tour

July 19, 2013, isn’t just the beginning of the next fun-filled summer weekend. It also serves as the start of the 2013 Mad Decent Block Party tour: 13 dates in 13 cities, spanning two countries, bringing together 50 of the livest artists together under one metaphorical roof. Acts such as Action Bronson, Danny Brown, Riff Raff, Bauuer, and Flosstradamus among others will make appearances on the tour with stops in U.S. cities such as Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, and Las Vegas, with two more dates in Canada—Calgary and Toronto. With a list of sponsors that includes Puma, Pepsi, Red Bull and Urban Outfitters, this event has come a long way from “The Mausoleum” on the corner of 12th & Spring Garden Streets in Philadelphia, Pa.

Started in 2008 by Mad Decent label head Wes Pentz, who’s also known as the world famous producer and DJ Diplo, the Mad Decent Block Party has humble beginnings as, well, a block party. The event’s earliest years were a simple feel good Philadelphia experience, and were also some of the first performances for Nadastrom and Flosstradamus, and other popular acts.

“We literally had to go around the neighborhood getting signatures and apply for permits to have the block party,” says Dirty South Joe, who served as one of the early producers of the event during its first two years and is currently the tour DJ for Mad Decent artist Riff Raff. “The neighbors loved it, we’d have free food, water guns for the kids and great music. People from different races and backgrounds would come together just to let their cool down. Philly isn’t known in the music business as a ‘fun’ city; we aren’t known for smiles and good times. But we brought that easy-going environment to the city and to its music culture. It was for the people.”

In its sixth year, Mad Decent aims to make this the event’s the biggest tour yet and a unique experience in itself. Attendees prepare as if they were called for a ritualistic ceremony; staying hydrated, adorned in appropriate footwear, prepared to dance.

You know when you come to a Mad Decent Block Party, you’re in for something special. Great food, free stuff and some of the best live music you’ll hear anywhere. And according to D.S. Joe, the festival’s origins keep it authentic. “No matter where the festival goes, it has that ‘Mad Decent’ feel to it, from the artists to the staff to the crew, we always live with a ‘You don’t know what’s gonna happen next’ type of attitude. It will always have that Philly energy with it, no matter where we go. Guys like Diplo, Major Lazer, [Club DJs] Sega, Sliink, and Swizzymack keep that alive. It’s all we know.”

The tour kicks off this Friday in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and lasts well into September, so if you’ve never attended a Mad Decent Block Party, you should check out where one is coming to a city near you. Just remember, be prepared. You never know what will happen next, but it will be Mad Decent.—Cory Townes

“Cory Townes is a Digital Content Producer born and raised in Philadelphia, Pa. His work has been featured in Vibe.com, The Grio, and other media publications. For more of his work, visit www.CoryTownes.com and follow him on Twitter at @CoryTownes.”

From the Web

More on Vibe

Leon Bennett/Getty Images for BET

Jeremih’s Mother Opens Up About His Battle With COVID-19

Three weeks into his battle with COVID-19, Jeremih has been removed from the ICU and transferred to a regular room at the Chicago medical center where he is receiving treatment. The 33-year-singer was at his mother, Gwenda Starling’s, home when he started feeling ill earlier in the month.

Within a couple of hours, he couldn't walk properly and decided to go to the hospital, where he has been since Nov. 5. “A couple hours later he was calling me saying, ‘Mom, I need to go to the hospital. All of a sudden he couldn’t walk,” Sterling told ABC Chicago. “He was barely walking. He was holding his stomach.”

Thankfully, Jeremih’s condition got worse from there. He was in critical condition and placed on a ventilator. Starling described the experience as a “tremendous nightmare.”

“The whole family was just so saddened and just shocked, first of all. After we gout out of that whole shock thing, it was like ‘OK, we’ve got to pray.’”

Jeremih’s condition has slowly improved over the last several days. His mother noted that she knew he was healing when he started asking her for real food. “I got so teary-eyed, but I get so joyful at the same time because he’s pulling through,” she said.

The family hopes that he will be home by Thanksgiving. “It may be a bit much to ask God, but I figure we’ve been asking for everything else.”

Watch the full interview below.

Continue Reading
Alex Edelman / AFP) (Photo by ALEX EDELMAN/AFP via Getty Images

‘Chappelle’s Show’ Removed From Netflix At Dave Chappelle’s Request

Chappelle’s Show is no longer streaming on Netflix, at the request of Dave Chappelle. The comedian reached out to the company to ask them to remove the series, for which he received no residuals, and they quickly complied.

On Tuesday (Nov. 24), Chappelle’s posted an Instagram video from a recent stand-up show, called Unforgiven, where he further explained his reasoning for not wanting the Viacom/CBS-owned show to stream on Netflix. “[ViacomCBS] didn’t have to pay me because I signed the contract,” he explained of the sketch comedy show. “But is that right? I found out that these people were streaming my work and they never had to ask me or they never have to tell me. Perfectly legal ‘cause I signed the contract. But is that right? I didn’t think so either.

“That’s why I like working for Netflix,” he continued. “I like working for Netflix because when all those bad things happened to me, that company didn’t even exist. And when I found out they were streaming Chappelle’s Show, I was furious. How could they not– how could they not know? So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better.”

Episodes of Chapelle's Show had been streaming on Netflix for about a month. While the showw has been wiped from the streaming outlet, episodes remain on Comedy Central, CBS All Access, and HBO Max.

Watch Chappelle’s full clip below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Dave Chappelle (@davechappelle)

Continue Reading
Marcus Ingram/Getty Images

‘Black Panther’ Sequel Will Reportedly Begin Filming In Atlanta Next Year

Filming on the highly anticipated sequel to Black Panther is set to begin next summer. Marvel Studios will start shooting the Ryan Coogler-directed sequel in July 2021, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“The series are the priority, “ a source told THR of Marvel’s film strategy going into next year. “Ramping them up takes a lot of focus. The movie machinery is well established.”

The shoot will last at least six months. Princess Shuri, the character played by Letitia Wright, who plays King T’Challa's sister Princess Shuri, could take on an expanded role given the death of Chadwick Boseman.

Narcos: Mexico actor Tenoch Huerta will reportedly join the cast, while Lupita Nyong’o, Angela Bassett and Windsor Duke are also expected to return for the second installment of the Marvel film.

In September, Black Panther’s executive producer Victoria Alonso denied rumors that Boseman would appear in the film via CGI technology. “There's only one Chadwick, and he's not with us,” Alonso said. “Our king, unfortunately, has died in real life, not just in fiction, and we are taking a little time to see how we return to the story and what we do to honor this chapter of what has happened to us that was so unexpected, so painful, so terrible, in reality.”

Boseman, 43, passed away from colon cancer in August.

Continue Reading

Top Stories