Screen shot 2013-08-03 at 6.54.08 PM

VIBE Exclusive: Ludacris Adds Anita Baker to 'Ludaversal'

In downtown Atlanta, there is an old-fashioned Waffle House strategically placed in the center of Georgia State University's main campus. Inside the popular breakfast spot, the waitresses chatter about soul music and what time their shift will end. As the thick scent of syrup blends into the poignant heat, the legendary Anita Baker comes up in conversation. A few of her more memorable ballads from the early 80s, including "Sweet Love" begin to play.

The night before, Atlanta's own Ludacris performed in front of 2600 people in a renovated church as part of Bud Light’s 50/50/1, 50 concerts held in 50 states on the same day. His performance at the Tabernacle was filled with hits -- the type of hits that'll make a diverse crowd "Move" and "Stand Up."

Luda's forthcoming project is his eighth studio album, entitled Ludaversal. The album is an introspective look at who Chris Bridges is at this point in his rap career.

"I've been living life," Luda told VIBE prior to his performance. "It's all about experiences, so I've been traveling the world, that's part of the reason this album is called Ludaversal.... It's definitely a play off words; Ludaversal is sort've like welcome to my world. I'm letting people in."

Luda kept mum about most of the details regarding his upcoming album but the three-time Grammy winner did confirm that a soulful guest would be featured on a heartfelt song he wrote for his father called "Ocean Skies."

"I don't know if the cat's out the bag. Yeah, Anita Baker is definitely on the album," admitted Luda. "She's on that particular song. [It] is really about my father and growing up and me being a kid and trying to get him to stop and me dealing with that."

The 35-year-old rapper recently allowed VH1s Behind the Music to reveal his personal battle with his Dad's devastating alcohol addiction. Previously undocumented, the episode shed light on Wayne Bridges' lifelong battle with alcoholism and his untimely death due to diabetes.

"The last seven albums you got glimpses of my personal life but you never really, really got to understand what's going on," he said. "I'm letting people get a chance to really know who Chris Bridges is."

Ludacris looks to add a few more hits to his long list of chart toppers with this upcoming album. Even if his Anita Baker assisted track doesn't make it onto the airwaves, or Billboard, there is a downtown Waffle House where the tune will be appreciated.

Ludaversal is set to hit stores this September.

Photo by: Ray Yau / www.rayyau.net

From the Web

More on Vibe

Kevin Winter

Donnie McClurkin Sent To Hospital Following Car Accident

Gospel legend Donnie McClurkin couldn't be more grateful after surviving a car accident this past Wednesday (Dec. 12).

The "We Fall Down" singer was driving on the road in the earlier part of the day when he passed out and began weaving into traffic. He reportedly struck the middle concrete island.

Following the incident, he posted a selfie of him on the hospital bed in scrubs on Facebook. Along with the photo, he explained that he woke up from the accident with stitches on his left thumb, on top of having a sprained wrist, and hurt knee. His car was also completely totaled.

"I AM ALIVE!!!! Somewhat mangled, stitches on left thumb, sprained wrist, hurt knee, but I’m still here! God and two angels saved my life!," the Grammy-winning artist wrote.

He also mentioned that two "angels" pulled him out the car to safety and medical attention. "I owe them...I am still here by the grace of God! Thank you, Lord...thank you!" he added.

On Friday (Dec. 14), McClurkin posted to his Facebook page again, sharing several photos of his destroyed car. "This is the totaled car that two angels rescued me from ....after passing out while driving I don’t remember most of what happened a day and a half ago...but God," he wrote. "I overrode doctors and sisters advice and flew to KENYA today for ministry Saturday @ TWO RIVERS. and home on this Sunday to celebrate life."

In happier news, McClurkin also took time to plug in his new Christmas single titled "My Favorite Things." Check out McClurkin's posts on social media and stream his new song below.

READ MORE: Big K.R.I.T. Drops Surprise Gospel-Influenced 'Thrice X' EP

Continue Reading
Douglas Grundy

Nicki Minaj's Boyfriend Kenneth Petty Received 18 Violations During Prison Stint

Nicki Minaj's new boyfriend, Kenneth Petty has a very troubled past.

On Friday (Dec. 14), TMZ revealed court documents disclosing Petty's history of disciplinary actions while he was an inmate in New York for manslaughter from 2006 to 2013.

When he entered the correctional facility, he was reportedly written up for creating a disturbance. Later during his stint, he was hit with a slew of disciplinary actions following a series of violent actions that included fighting, making terroristic threats, and "disobeying a direct order."

In 2009, prison faculty placed him in solitary confinement for four months as part of being reprimanded for nine different violations. Petty lost privileges that included the usage of the inmate telephone service, recreational activity, and the prison canteen.

In addition to his prison violations, Petty is a convicted sex offender. At the age of 16, he was tried as an adult served a four-year sentence for attempted rape of a minor.

Petty, who hails from the same borough as Nicki, Queens, knew the platinum-selling rap star since she was a teenager. They dated for a short period years prior to reuniting.

Minaj posted various photos of her and Petty going on a vacation getaway earlier this month. Sources close to Minaj told the celebrity gossip website that the 36-year-old hip-hop artist is  "happier than she's been in years" with Petty.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Barbie® (@nickiminaj) on Dec 10, 2018 at 12:43pm PST

READ MORE: Nicki Minaj Plans To Sue 'Daily Mail' TV Host Jesse Palmer

Continue Reading
John Moore

Sandy Hook Elementary Evacuates After Bomb Threat On 6th Anniversary Of Mass Shooting

Sandy Hook Elementary School was reportedly forced to evacuate its students and administration on Friday (Dec. 14), after receiving a bomb threat, CNN reports. The incident occurred on the sixth anniversary of the school's tragic mass shooting.

Newtown, Connecticut Police Lt. Aaron Bahamonde stated that the threat didn't appear to be substantial, but they decided to  evacuate the facility as an extra precaution.

Bomb squads reportedly swept the school and surrounding area for explosive devices but did not discover anything on the property. They later concluded that there was no immediate threat. The school administration dismissed students and faculty for the rest of the day however, considering the previous incident.

As previously noted, Sandy Hook endured a horrific mass shooting on Dec. 14, 2012, in which 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot and killed 20 children between six and seven years old, as well as six adult, staff members.

Earlier this month, thousands of documents were released about Lanza that revealed his mental state and social status in the years leading up to the shooting.

The shooting is not believed to be in connection to the recent string of bomb scares around the nation that targeted major politicians including the former first families Barack and Michelle Obama and Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Continue Reading

Top Stories