alig-306v-1400169257 alig-306v-1400169257

"Party Monster" Michael Alig Speaks Out In Post-Prison Interview

The "Party Monster" talks about drugs, technology, and the night that changed his life.

There are over eight million minutes that comprise 17 years, and Michael Alig has had to pay for each one. In what was a swift and mighty fall, Alig went from being the legendary leader of the New York "Club Kids" to serving a manslaughter sentence in federal prison. In 1996, Alig was found guilty in the case of friend and drug dealer Andre "Angel" Melendez’s death. Suffering from an intense drug addiction, Alig and friend Robert "Freeze" Rigs argued with Melendez, killed and dismembered him, and ultimately disposed of his body in the Hudson River.

Met with intense media scrutiny, and eventually becoming the centerfold for the controversial 2003 film "Party Monster," Alig has remained in the limelight well after the New York clubs he often frequented have closed. Now having been released on parole after serving seventeen years of his twenty year sentence, Alig has finally spoken out to Rolling Stone about how his life has changed.

Looking back on the murder that changed his life, Alig - now with several years of sobriety under his belt - is able to see the situation clearly. "No, there is no reason. Not only is there no reason, there’s no justification." In the interview, Alig recounts hallucinating from a dangerous mixture of ketamine, rohypnol, cocaine, crystal meth and heroin. Thus, he claims was only able to determine Melendez's death several hours later. When asked about the decision to dismember the body, Alig addresses the all too real issue of being too afraid to involve the police. “...it will sound very selfish, but that’s the nature of drug addiction. We were junkies, and calling the authorities, that’s just not something that we did. We didn’t involve them in our affairs no matter what.”

Ultimately Alig found himself with no other to choice than to turn to the police, and once found guilty, Alig spent several years in intense drug rehabilitation, therapy, and serving bouts of solitary confinement. “...there [in solitary] you really learn patience. If you’re freaking out and suicidal and want to see a therapist, you have to write a letter. Maybe three or four days later, somebody will come and knock on your door, open the window and ask — if you’re alive — ‘Well, what’s the problem?’” While the years were painful and difficult, perhaps the journey of adjusting to a new world of technology that lies ahead may prove to be the most challenging. Never knowing Google or YouTube, every day conveniences such as mobile phones and the Internet become fodder for fairy tales when one is locked away in prison. The world has become a very different place since 1993, and with an endless onslaught of information available at one’s fingertips, the gaze of the public eye is fixated on Alig now more than ever.

Michael Alig’s full interview with Rolling Stone both on newsstands and online, view it in its entirety here.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Vic Mensa Apologized To XXXTentacion's Mother Over BET Freestyle Diss

Vic Mensa sparked controversy earlier this year after he took jabs at XXXTentacion's abusive past during a freestyle at the 2018 BET Hip-Hop Awards. Many criticized the timing of his diss, saying he shouldn't have said it while X's mother was in attendance to accept her son's award. While Vic stated that he doesn't regret his comments, he admitted that he did apologize to X's mom.

"I actually reached out to his mother personally,” the rapper said during an appearance on radio's "The Breakfast Club" on Monday (Dec. 10). "I apologized to her because I didn’t know she would be in attendance… I wouldn’t walk back any of my statements because what I said, I meant. And some more truth came to light not long after."

He also mentioned that although his timing was inappropriate, his talking points were important and necessary. "At the end of the day, I do think that the conversation that I was trying to bring up and that I did bring up is a super necessary conversation," he continued. "Maybe the way of going about it was not the best for the time, but I think the conversation is one that had to be had – talking about violence against women and misogyny in hip-hop, but particularly violence against women. I had a lot of people on the low reach out to me and thank me for that."

As previously mentioned, XXXTentacion was accused of physically abusing his then-pregnant, ex-girlfriend. Vic's freestyle included the lines: "Only time you bear arms is in a wife beater, loser/Your favorite rapper is an abuser." Weeks after the viral diss, audio obtained by Pitchfork, revealed the rapper admitting to committing physical harm against her and others.

Check out Vic Mensa full interview above.

Continue Reading
Vivien Killilea

Romeo May Have Landed A Role In 'Bad Boys For Life'

Bad Boys 3 is officially going down, and there's going to be a lot of new changes. The biggest change seems to be major additions to the film's cast. In fact, Romeo Miller recently hopped on social media on Tuesday (Dec. 11), suggesting that he could be the newest addition to the Bad Boys team.

Romeo shared a photo of an email for a callback to the Bad Boys set on his Instagram Stories on Dec. 11. "When you get callbacks and opportunity to work alongside your idols, @martinlawrence and @willsmith, you go study and go ghost," the rapper-turned-actor said, mentioning stars Martin Lawrence and Will Smith.

Romeo isn't the only hip-hop star to possibly land a role in the forthcoming movie. Nicky Jam also suggested he was going out for a part during an interview with TMZ in Nov. 2018. "I actually came her because I'm doing a casting for a movie," he said at the time.

As previously reported Will Smith and Martin Lawrence announced that the third installment of the Bad Boys franchise is finally happening after years of negotiating. The upcoming film, entitled, Bad Boys For Life, is expected to premiere in Jan. 2020.

Check out Romeo's post below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Looks like #Romeo May be joining the #BadBoys3 crew! Are y’all here for it, #Roomies!?

A post shared by The Shade Room (@theshaderoom) on Dec 11, 2018 at 10:13am PST

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Safaree Says He's Over His Beef With Meek Mill: "He Ain't On No B.S"

Safaree is ready to leave the ill feelings in 2018. In a forthcoming episode of BET's Rants, Safaree dished about his previously beef with Meek Mill, insisting that he was way over the drama.

During the episode, Safaree addressed Meek's new attitude and maturity level. "As far as Meek—and I can see in Meek and everything he does now—he's way more mature than he was even a year ago," Safaree said. "From what he's been through, I can tell he ain't on no B.S. because when I hosted the BET Pre-Awards and all that, [Rick] Ross was there. Me and Ross, we spoke, we chopped it up and Meek was right there."

He also stated that he's moving on and focusing his energy elsewhere. "It was what it was. The s**t happened. Ain't nobody die. I'm over that."

As previously reported, Safaree and Meek's beef started in 2017, over what seemed to be the common denominator: Nicki Minaj. Meek started dating the rapper after her 10-year long romance with the Love & Hip Hop star.

Things escalated after Safaree accused Meek and his crew of jumping him during the 2017 BET Awards weekend in Los Angeles. Footage taken during the incident shows Safaree talking to some people at the same time that Meek hops out of his vehicle a couple of feet away. Soon after, someone is seen throwing a punch at Safaree. At the time, Safaree called Meek the "biggest pu**y on the planet, but he clearly has a change of heart now.

It's unclear if Meek and Safaree have officially made up, but this wouldn't be the first reconciliation that happened involving the CHAMPIONSHIPS artist. He previously made up with Drake in Sept. 2018.

Safaree's episode of Rants airs on BET on Dec. 11.

Continue Reading

Top Stories