rkelly-transguy-karencivil

R. Kelly Calls Himself A 'Momma's Boy'

Over the weekend, R. Kelly rocked the stage at WGCI's Summer Jam in Chicago. Following his performance, the Pied Piper of R&B sat down with the Morning Riot crew, with a cigar in hand, to open up about his personal life and his career that has withstood the test of time. Here are five things we learned from his interview:

1. Despite having a super successful music catalog R. Kelly feels his work is far from done. The R&B legend remains true to his humble beginnings by bringing that same work ethic to all of his performances. "No matter how much money I make, no matter how many hit songs. I still perform like a street performer," he admitted.

2. He doesn't waste his time addressing rumors. Earlier this month, R. Kelly's youngest child Jaya Kelly revealed via Facebook that she is in the process of transitioning into a male, deeming herself to be "transguy". There have also been rumors circulating that Kellz had lost his home. Yet, in light of all of this the man of the hour offered up a clever response. “Always believe what you see with your own eyes,” he said. “I’ve heard a lot of things about a lot of people. It was never true.”

3. He's a self-proclaimed "momma's boy". But, what else would you have expected? The living legend has dedicated ballads to his mother throughout the years, including "Sadie" a feature off of his classic 12 Play album.

4. He would love to see Carmelo Anthony play for his native Chicago. During his interview, Kellz was eager to express how much he would enjoy watching Melo play ball while suited up in a Bulls jersey. He even got on one knee and urged Melo to come to Chi-town. "I would love to have you in Chicago my dude," the singer exclaimed. "Come to Chicago. I'm gonna lay out the red carpet."

5. He wants to put an end to the violence that plagues Chi-Town. R. Kelly revealed that he feels it's necessary for celebrities to speak out on causes that affect the youth of today, especially gun violence. "Let's walk through the hood, let's march through the hood and show these kids that we really care," he said. "We should all come together, set that example, and walk through the hood."

From the Web

More on Vibe

Kevin Winter

Donnie McClurkin Sent To Hospital Following Car Accident

Gospel legend Donnie McClurkin couldn't be more grateful after surviving a car accident this past Wednesday (Dec. 12).

The "We Fall Down" singer was driving on the road in the earlier part of the day when he passed out and began weaving into traffic. He reportedly struck the middle concrete island.

Following the incident, he posted a selfie of him on the hospital bed in scrubs on Facebook. Along with the photo, he explained that he woke up from the accident with stitches on his left thumb, on top of having a sprained wrist, and hurt knee. His car was also completely totaled.

"I AM ALIVE!!!! Somewhat mangled, stitches on left thumb, sprained wrist, hurt knee, but I’m still here! God and two angels saved my life!," the Grammy-winning artist wrote.

He also mentioned that two "angels" pulled him out the car to safety and medical attention. "I owe them...I am still here by the grace of God! Thank you, Lord...thank you!" he added.

On Friday (Dec. 14), McClurkin posted to his Facebook page again, sharing several photos of his destroyed car. "This is the totaled car that two angels rescued me from ....after passing out while driving I don’t remember most of what happened a day and a half ago...but God," he wrote. "I overrode doctors and sisters advice and flew to KENYA today for ministry Saturday @ TWO RIVERS. and home on this Sunday to celebrate life."

In happier news, McClurkin also took time to plug in his new Christmas single titled "My Favorite Things." Check out McClurkin's posts on social media and stream his new song below.

READ MORE: Big K.R.I.T. Drops Surprise Gospel-Influenced 'Thrice X' EP

Continue Reading
Douglas Grundy

Nicki Minaj's Boyfriend Kenneth Petty Received 18 Violations During Prison Stint

Nicki Minaj's new boyfriend, Kenneth Petty has a very troubled past.

On Friday (Dec. 14), TMZ revealed court documents disclosing Petty's history of disciplinary actions while he was an inmate in New York for manslaughter from 2006 to 2013.

When he entered the correctional facility, he was reportedly written up for creating a disturbance. Later during his stint, he was hit with a slew of disciplinary actions following a series of violent actions that included fighting, making terroristic threats, and "disobeying a direct order."

In 2009, prison faculty placed him in solitary confinement for four months as part of being reprimanded for nine different violations. Petty lost privileges that included the usage of the inmate telephone service, recreational activity, and the prison canteen.

In addition to his prison violations, Petty is a convicted sex offender. At the age of 16, he was tried as an adult served a four-year sentence for attempted rape of a minor.

Petty, who hails from the same borough as Nicki, Queens, knew the platinum-selling rap star since she was a teenager. They dated for a short period years prior to reuniting.

Minaj posted various photos of her and Petty going on a vacation getaway earlier this month. Sources close to Minaj told the celebrity gossip website that the 36-year-old hip-hop artist is  "happier than she's been in years" with Petty.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Barbie® (@nickiminaj) on Dec 10, 2018 at 12:43pm PST

READ MORE: Nicki Minaj Plans To Sue 'Daily Mail' TV Host Jesse Palmer

Continue Reading
John Moore

Sandy Hook Elementary Evacuates After Bomb Threat On 6th Anniversary Of Mass Shooting

Sandy Hook Elementary School was reportedly forced to evacuate its students and administration on Friday (Dec. 14), after receiving a bomb threat, CNN reports. The incident occurred on the sixth anniversary of the school's tragic mass shooting.

Newtown, Connecticut Police Lt. Aaron Bahamonde stated that the threat didn't appear to be substantial, but they decided to  evacuate the facility as an extra precaution.

Bomb squads reportedly swept the school and surrounding area for explosive devices but did not discover anything on the property. They later concluded that there was no immediate threat. The school administration dismissed students and faculty for the rest of the day however, considering the previous incident.

As previously noted, Sandy Hook endured a horrific mass shooting on Dec. 14, 2012, in which 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot and killed 20 children between six and seven years old, as well as six adult, staff members.

Earlier this month, thousands of documents were released about Lanza that revealed his mental state and social status in the years leading up to the shooting.

The shooting is not believed to be in connection to the recent string of bomb scares around the nation that targeted major politicians including the former first families Barack and Michelle Obama and Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Continue Reading

Top Stories