Bracket_ALL Bracket_ALL

Vote: The Greatest Hip-Hop Group Since '93 (East Coast) [Round 1]

Who's the beast of the East?




CLICK HERE TO VOTE FOR HIP-HOP'S GREATEST DIRTY SOUTH GROUP
CLICK HERE TO VOTE FOR HIP-HOP'S GREATEST WEST COAST GROUP
CLICK HERE TO VOTE FOR HIP-HOP'S GREATEST MIDWEST GROUP

From the Web

More on Vibe

John Lamparski

NYPD Commander Under Investigation For Ordering To Shoot 50 Cent On Sight

The NYPD is an hot water this week. NYPD commander Emmanuel Gonzalez of the Brooklyn's 72nd precinct is currently under investigation after allegedly ordering his officers to shoot 50 Cent "on sight" at a boxing match in 2018, The New York Daily News reports.

According to the new report, deputy inspector Gonzalez allegedly made the comments to his staff during a roll call before the sporting match. Gonzalez allegedly tried to pass the "order" off as a joke, but no one was laughing.

After learning of the story on Sunday (Feb. 17), 50 Cent quickly hit back, calling Gonzalez a "dirty cop." "This guy Emanuel Gonzalez is a dirty cop abusing his POWER. The sad part is this man still has a badge and a gun," he wrote on Twitter.

Fif' also indicated that he plans to take legal action against the NYPD. "Mr. Jackson takes this threat very seriously and is consulting with his legal counsel regarding his options going forward," his spokesman said in a statement. "He is concerned that he was not previously advised of this threat by the NYPD and even more concerned that Gonzalez continues to carry a badge and a gun."

This isn't the first time 50 and Gonzalez had butt heads however. According to People, Gonzalez previously filed an aggravated harassment complaint against 50 Cent last spring, after 50 reportedly made a series of threats towards the commander on social media.

https://twitter.com/50cent/status/1097169689560707073

Continue Reading
BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI

Maryland Judge Overturns Jury's Decision To Award Korryn Gaines Family $37 Million

A Maryland judge has overturned a jury's decision to award the surviving family of Korryn Gaines $37 million. The 23-year-old was shot twice, along with her 5-year-old son Kodi, during an hour-long standoff in August 2016. The child survived Gaines did not.

According to CNN, Baltimore County Circuit Court Associate Judge Mickey J. Norman stated in an opinion Cpl Royce Ruby's conduct was "entitled to qualified immunity," which translates as Ruby was well within his rights as a member of law enforcement and is "shielded from liability for civil damages."

Norman's opinion states Ruby acted within the margins of the law. "This court has found that Corporal Ruby is entitled to qualified immunity and therefore, his shooting of Gaines was not unlawful."

However, Norman states the damages Gaines' surviving family was seeking were "excessive and shocks the conscience."

The jury awarded $32.85 million to Gaines' son Kodi, $23, 542 for his medical bills and $4.53 million to Gaines' daughter Karsyn Courtney. The jury also found it fit to award Gaines' mother Rhanda Dormeus $307,000 and $300,000 to her father Ryan Gaines.

Judge Norman said the court would grant a new civil trial on account of this new opinion.

J. Wyndal Gordon, Gaines' family lawyer said the family is disappointed but not "defeated nor deterred from doing what must be done now."

"We have great appellate issues and an excellent opportunity to have reviewed not just the recent decision but some of the earlier decisions in the case that were disfavorable," Gordon said. "Nobody told us the road would be easy. I don't believe God brought us this far to leave us. This case is by no means over. We will fight to the finish to preserve the jury's verdict and restore justice to the family."

Baltimore County police spokesperson confirmed that Cpl Royce Ruby is still a member of the department.

Continue Reading
Alberto E. Rodriguez

Jussie Smollett's Attorneys Deny Actor Paid $3,500 To Orchestrate Attack

Sources close to the Jussie Smollett investigation have spoken with several media outlets and allege new evidence shows the Empire actor may have orchestrated the attack, and even paid men $3,500 to go through with it.

The two men who are brothers were arrested Wednesday and released Friday (Feb. 15) without charges. Both men are cooperating fully with Chicago police, and authorities found records they purchased a rope at a local hardware store, which was used during the attack.

Smollett's attorneys, Todd S. Pugh, and Victor P. Henderson, quickly denied the claim made by authorities.

"As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with," the statement read. "He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying."

On Jan. 29, Smollett was leaving a Subway fast-food restaurant when the actor alleges to have been attacked by two men who beat him, poured bleach on him and tried to hang a rope around his neck. The 35-year-old entertainer, who identifies as gay, said one of the men shouted "This is MAGA country" as well as other racial and homophobic slurs.

Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said one of the men appeared on Empire and have past affiliation with Smollett.

During his interview with Robin Roberts on Good Morning America Thursday (Feb. 14), Smollett expressed frustration about not being believed. Sunday morning (Feb. 17) the hashtag 'JussieSmollettHoax' trended on Twitter. The Internet was split with many offering a digital "I told you so" due to the reports, while others, particularly members of the black LGBTQ community, questioning why many were quick to believe the word of law enforcement.

Us straight men waiting on the LGBT community to apologize after Jussie lied pic.twitter.com/0PDmNX4ykZ

— Flickens McCray (@Mickens__) February 17, 2019

https://twitter.com/angryblkhoemo/status/1096967004517515266

No idea what actually happened w/ Jussie Smollett. But do know that 4 years ago, Chicago PD spent 13 months justifying Laquan McDonald’s murder before releasing dashcam video showing he was walking away before being shot at 16x by an officer. Why are we just accepting their word?

— Scott Hechinger (@ScottHech) February 17, 2019

Continue Reading

Top Stories