From the Web
More on Vibe
Kenneka Jenkins' family is reportedly taking legal action against the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Rosemont, Illinois after the teen was discovered dead in the hotel kitchen's walk-in freezer, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. Jenkins' mother, Tereasa Martin has filed a $50 million lawsuit against the hotel, alleging that the staff were responsible for her daughter's untimely death.
The lawsuit names the hotel, F&F Realty, Capital Security, and Investigations and Murray Bros. Caddyshack – the restaurant that leased the kitchen – as liable for Jenkins' death. Martin claims the hotel and other parties failed to secure dangerous areas and hire competent staff to monitor them.
According to court documents, the hotel and security staff ignored multiple warnings about the group of people that were partying in the hotel room where Jenkins was ahead of her disappearance. The lawsuit noted that Jenkins passed several hotel staff members who should have seen that she was in an altered state and prevented her from entering the kitchen.
Hotel personnel also neglected to thoroughly review security footage after learning of Jenkins' disappearance. If they had done so, "they would have been able to locate her which would have prevented her death,” according to the lawsuit. As result of the incident, Jenkins' family claims they suffered tremendous "conscious, physical pain and suffering," humiliation, and loss of wages.
As previously reported, 19-year-old Jenkins attended a hotel room party on the ninth floor of the Crowne Plaza on Sept. 9, 2017, around 1:13 a.m. in a fully coherent state, the lawsuit claims. Around 2:30 a.m. Jenkins' and friends reportedly were leaving the party when she realized she had lost her phone. Two hours later, friends told Martin that her daughter was missing. After Martin contacted the hotel desk, security reviewed the surveillance footage, but did not find anything at the time. Jenkins was officially reported missing at 12:36 p.m. on Sept. 9.
Jenkins was found 21 hours after she was reported missing. Her body was discovered in a double-door walk-in freezer located in an unused kitchen that was accessible to the general public, the lawsuit said. The sticker on the door of the freezer, which contained instruction on how to open was barely visible.
Upon further review, surveillance videos show Jenkins stumbling into the kitchen and walking toward the freezer around 3:32 a.m. She was reportedly visibly inebriated at the time.
Jenkins was pronounced dead on Sept. 10, 2017. Her death was a ruled an accident caused by hypothermia, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
In addition to the damages regarding her death, Jenkins' family is suing to cover the expenses of her funeral, which was held last year.
While some people are still debating who the king of R&B is, Gucci Mane is mulling over who is the king of rap, and according to him, it shouldn't be the genre's previous champion Eminem. During a recent appearance on the Rickey Smiley Morning Show, Gucci stated that Eminem shouldn't be crowned the king of rap.
When asked whether Eminem was the current crown holder, the Evil Genius artist said, "you got to come up with a better name."
He added: "I ain't playing Eminem in my car. You playing him in yours? You sliding around playing Eminem in your car, you and your ol' lady?"
Em may not be the king in Guwop's eyes, but his rhymes are still making headlines and racking up numbers. His last project Kamikaze, which dropped in Aug. 2018, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, selling 434,000 album units. His single "Killshot," which took aim at Machine Gun Kelly also earned 38.1 million views on Youtube within the first 24 hours of its release, making it one of the biggest hip-hop videos of the year. Numbers don't mean everything, but they definitely prove he isn't washed.
Check out the clip of Gucci Mane talking about Eminem below.
Gucci is me. I don’t know any regular black people who just ride around listening to Eminem in their free time. Or ever, really. #TooManyNapkins pic.twitter.com/FjIeLBh3Wc
— Stefan Grant 🚀 (@STEFisDOPE) December 17, 2018
READ MORE: Eminem Drops MGK Diss Track, 'KillShot': Listen
Cardi B's headlining set at the Rolling Loud Festival in Los Angeles came to a shocking conclusion on Dec. 15, after her ex Offset crashed her performance to deliver yet another public apology for his infidelity. Twitter instantly erupted with some debating whether the stunt was appropriate and others pointing the finger at festival organizers for allowing Offset to steal Cardi's shine. Despite fan assumptions, Rolling Loud co-founder, Tariq Cherif stated that they were in no way involved in the surprise appearance.
In a statement to Complex, Cherif said the festival has no control over who takes the stage during the scheduled artist's set. "Headliners and their teams have full control of the stage and who is allowed on it during their set at Rolling Loud," he said. "The festival does not interfere with or influence a headliner’s set list. We have never and will never do anything to change a headliner's set."
Cherif also stated that they were aware that Cardi would have a surprise in store for her performance, but were unaware of the details. "We were tipped off that something was going to happen, but had nothing to do with the organization or execution of it," he continued. "Rolling Loud is proud to provide the platform for a queen like Cardi B to absolutely slay her performance. Despite the stunt, she performed hit after hit and electrified the crowd with her talent, energy, choreography, and set design."
While Cherif noted that the festival wasn't responsible for the mishap, he said in a statement to the Los Angeles Times that Cardi B's team was aware of the surprise. Organizers also reportedly sent a direct message to the Bronx rapper on Instagram shortly after the incident to apologize.
In addition to being accused of facilitating Offset's appearance at the time, many critics also accused Rolling Loud of hyping up the situation on Twitter. Fans cited various tweets from the festival's page – in which they seemed to be applauding Offset – as evidence that they were involved. Cherif attributed the tweets to "bad intel."
"We were tipped off that Cardi was going to have multiple surprise guests, corroborated by what she said in her IG Live. One of specific guests we were told about didn’t end up showing up so we deleted the tweet, which is standard for us when things change as the night goes on," he told Complex. "Deleting old tweets with bad intel isn’t usually alarming but once we realized that we were getting dragged for the surprise interruption, we panicked and deleted the tweet bc we knew it was going to make things look worse. In hindsight, deleting those tweets actually made us look worse. We recognize that it was a poor decision."
Cardi B and Offset have both spoken out about the situation. Cardi asked that people respect her ex, while Offset explained that his public apology was a result of his infidelities being publicly revealed. No matter what parties were involved in the stunt, it's unfortunate Cardi's Rolling Loud set couldn't just be about her.
They also deleted this. pic.twitter.com/FdEfTh22HS
— blah (@fushigiqueen) December 16, 2018
READ MORE: Offset Crashed Cardi B's Rolling Loud Festival Set