12-year-old Tamir Rice

12-Year-Old Boy Killed By Cleveland Police After Wielding BB Gun

Twelve-year-old Tamir Rice was shot by a Cleveland police officer on Saturday (Nov. 22) attempting to wield a BB gun that was mistaken for a real weapon. After being asked to put his hands up and instead reaching into his waistband, one officer fired two shots at Rice. He was pronounced dead at the MetroHealth Medical Center on Sunday (Nov. 23).

Police arrived to the Cudell Recreation Center after a 911 call was made. One responding officer was reportedly a veteran, while the other was a rookie. The rookie allegedly fired the shots.

“There's a guy in there with a pistol, you know, it's probably fake, but he's like pointing it at everybody," the 911 caller said, according to Cleveland.com. "He's sitting on a swing right now, but he's pulling it in and out of his pants and pointing it at people. He's probably a juvenile, you know?"

SEE ALSO: Rudy Giuliani Thinks Blacks Killing Each Other Is A Bigger Issue Than Police Shootings

Cleveland Police Patrolman's Association President Jeff Follmer remarked that the shooting officer was not aware that Rice was a child, and that the officer as following what was taught in the police academy, reports CNN.

"I can tell you the officer that fired had no clue that he was 12, he just thought it was an older male,” he said. “There was more concentration on his hands because we are taught in the academy that hands will kill you."

While the identity of the shooting officer has not been released, the attorney for Rice’s family, Tim Kucharski, stated that the issue behind the case was not one that dealt with race.

"This is not a black and white issue. This is a right and wrong issue," he said.

Police are currently investigating surveillance video of the incident. Both responding officers are on administrative leave.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Patrick Fallon-Pool/Getty Images

Grand Jury Indicts Eric Holder For Murder Of Nipsey Hussle

Eric Holder has been in indicted for fatally shooting Nipsey Hussle and injuring two others, the Los Angeles District attorney announced in a news release Tuesday (May 21).

A grand jury indicted the 29-year-old suspect on one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder and assault with a firearm, and a single count of possession of a firearm by a felon. Holder was indicted on May 9, but the document were made public Tuesday.

Holder pleaded not guilty to the charges. He stands accused of killing Hussle in front of his Marathon Clothing store in South Los Angeles on March 31. The 33-year-old rapper and father of two was shot six times before being pronounced dead at a local hospital.

After the shooting, Holder fled the scene but was arrested in nearby Bellflower, Calif., two days later. He is currently being held on $6.53 million bail. According to TMZ, Holder allegedly pistol whipped a man one hour before Hussle was gunned down.

Last week, Holder’s defense attorney, Christopher Darden, stepped down after receiving death threats.

“I cannot understand why in 2019 some people would deny a black man his 6th Amendment right to counsel of his choice,” Darden wrote on Facebook. “Or why defending such a man should invite threats not only against me but against my children too.”

If convicted, Holder faces life in prison. He is scheduled to return to court for a pretrial hearing on June 18.

Continue Reading
Jason Merritt/Getty Images

After 7 Speaks Out After Death Of Group Member Melvin Edmonds

Melvin Edmonds, singer from the Grammy-nominated ’90s R&B group After 7, and brother to Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds, died over the weekend. He was 65.

Melvin passed away Saturday (May 18) following a short illness, his son confirmed to the Indy Star. The group's surviving members released a statement via social media expressing their sadness and grief over Melvin’s death.

“[We’re] deeply hurt/saddened by unexpected/sudden loss of brother/friend/dad Melvin D. Edmonds,” read a tweet posted Monday (May 20). The statement went on to thank fans for the “tremendous outpouring” of love, support and prayers. “[We’re] doing our best [to] cope. [Thank you for your] understanding in giving us [the] time we need during these difficult days.”

WeR deeply hurt/saddened by unexpected/sudden loss May 18 of brother/friend/dad Melvin D Edmonds age 65 Thks/appreciation 2ALL4 tremendous outpouring of love/support/prayers. WeR doing our best 2cope ThkU4 yr understanding in giving us th time we need during these difficult days pic.twitter.com/G8iC2xUdQu

— After 7 Music (@After7Music) May 21, 2019

After 7 was founded in 1987 by Melvin, his brother Kevon Edmonds, and classmate Keith Mitchell. The Indianapolis group released two consecutive platinum albums, the first of which was their self-titled debut album in 1989. The album was led by the single “Heat of the Moment,” which peaked in the Top 20 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

The group released other hit singles including “Ready or Not,” “Can’t Stop,” and “Sara Smile.” Melvin left the group after their third album was released in 1995. He was replaced by his son, Jason.

After 7 released their most recent album, Timeless, in 2016. The project featured the single “If I,” produced by Babyface.

Continue Reading
Erika Goldring/Getty Images

NBA YoungBoy Wants To Pay For Funeral Of Man Killed In Miami Shooting

NBA YoungBoy and his label, Atlantic Records, are offering to cover the funeral expenses of a 43-year-old bystander killed in a shooting that targeted the "Drawing Symbols" rapper.

According to The Blast, YoungBoy — who’s currently in jail for a potential probation violation in connection with the shooting — and his label are reportedly “heartbroken” over the fatal shooting  and have been attempting to connect with the victim, Mohamad Jradi’s, family.

Jradi was hit by a stray bullet during the Mother’s Day shooting that erupted as YoungBoy and his crew were leaving Trump International Beach Resort in Miami, while en route to the Rolling Loud Music Festival.

In his first public statement following the tragedy, YoungBoy expressed regret telling his lawyer, James Manasseh, “I wish they would have gotten me, not him.”

Manasseh added that YoungBoy was a victim of an “assassination attempt.” Three others were injured in the shooting including YoungBoy’s girlfriend, and a child.

The 19-year-old Louisiana native, born Kentrell Gaulden, will not be charged for the shooting as police determined that he and his friends fired back in self-defense. The shooter was apparently chased down and killed by YoungBoy's bodyguard.

Continue Reading

Top Stories