Best Back Drop Of The Year: A 2014 Twerk Ranking
This time last year, the very idea of twerking was beginning to work everyone’s last nerve. Thanks to Miley Cyrus performances and scientific attempts to define (and often misappropriate) the term, we witnessed the crash and burn of rapid rump shaking. After the mainstream finally lost interest), the dance form has had a chance to freely flourish in 2014. Thanks to personal Instagram posts, music videos and lively interviews, cheeky chicas like K. Michelle, Beyonce, J. Lo, Rihanna, Draya, Nicki Minaj and more have given us plenty to feast our eyes on this year. Here, we’ve ranked 14 of the most entertaining twerks the past 365. Clap for em!—Stacy-Ann Ellis
14. TAYLOR SWIFT No matter how infectious the song “Shake It Off” may be, Ms. Swift’s twerking display leaves much to be desired.
13. ARIANA GRANDE Sharing the stage and a backside spotlight with Nicki Minaj was basically a set up.
12. JHENE AIKO A gentle Easter twerk for the blessed and highly favored, perhaps?
11. VANESSA HUDGENS Don’t be fooled. The High School Musical star can actually hold her own.
10. J.LO & IGGY AZALEA When these two donks come together for a video, glee ensues.
9. PORSHA WILLIAMS & THE REAL When the Real Housewives of Atlanta starlet confessed that she’s a twerkaholic to the ladies of The Real, everybody showed off what they’re working with.
8. DRAYA While Draya’s curvy figure is the stuff of envy, maybe she should keep her twerking skills off the ‘gram.
7. BEYONCE Of course, Ms. Bootylicious is on this list. How could we NOT include this epic scene from The Mrs. Carter Show world tour?
6. KAYLIN GARCIA Ms. Garcia is more than just Joe Budden’s ex-boo. The model/actress/artist is also the proud teacher of a twerkercise class. So naturally she’s skilled enough to share her expertise on hitting ‘em with that left, right.
5. K. MICHELLE If this is how K. Michelle celebrates a win on the regular, we can’t wait to see all her victories in the new year.
4. NICKI MINAJ (AGAIN) Nicki Minaj’s “Anaconda” video took our appreciation for the dance form (and skimpy workout gear) to new heights. And even if you don’t like Nicki’s work (even though her derriere is damn near a national treasure), there are plenty of other options to indulge in.
3. RIHANNA Bad Gal Riri is no stranger to setting our social media feeds ablaze with her daily shenanigans, and this playful Barbados dance session with friends was the icing on the cake this year.
2. TEYANA TAYLOR G.O.O.D. Music’s first lady might have deleted this impressive flick soon after posting it, but Internet lurks snatched and saved it beforehand. And for that, we are thankful.
1. AMBER ROSE Not only did Muva Rosebud’s congratulatory twerk win this list, but she won the whole Internet when she posted this repeat-worthy clip to her IG. *bows down*