19 Interesting Tidbits From Nicki Minaj's #CRWN Sit Down
If you found your way to 158 Bleecker Street in New York City last night (Dec 16), you would have been hit with Nicki Minaj fans waiting on line since 10 am with deluxe copies of The Pinkprint on deck. From WatchLOUD.com's Twitter account were tweets of lines wrapping around the corner and excited fans singing in the rain. The mood at Le Poisson Rouge was on ten once the doors opened with Barbz and Kenz alike, twerking to Minaj's newest singles from her third LP. The first woman to ever grace the #CRWN stage opened the event rapping with fans for Elliott Wilson's final #CRWN event of 2014.
See Related Article: The 57 Best Lines From Nicki Minaj’s ‘The Pinkprint’ To Use As Status Updates
In true Wilson fashion, he rolled out the questions set to take an artist down memory lane, asking Nicki Minaj everything from her transition from Trinidad to New York, to her start on Young Money as a resident in Atlanta. Of course, Nicki hit the audience with surprises of her own from her responses, including some emotional moments when asked about her ex, Safaree Samuels, and her thoughts on her single, "All Things Go."
Wilson called her the "Undisputed Queen of Rap" and Nicki ended the night declaring herself, "the greatest female rapper... right now" with the crown. In honor of her 19 new tracks (non deluxe album), here are 19 things we found out about Nicki Minaj from her sit-down with Elliott Wilson.
1. Nicki has a love/hate relationship with "All Things Go," saying it was difficult reliving the pain while recording the opening track off The Pinkprint, but gave her a chance to reflect on her cousin's life, which fills her with guilt.
2. The song was the hardest song the rapper's ever penned in her career.
3. Safaree Samuels called "Bed of Lies" a diss record when he heard Nicki record it in the studio during the construction of The Pinkprint.
4. Nicki Minaj didn't know Lil' Wayne was angry about his album being pushed back and his feelings on Cash Money until his tweets earlier this month, but feels Baby and Weezy will somehow work it out.
5. "Only" started out as a joke after Nicki couldn't think of a way to start the track with the beat, produced by Dr. Luke, Cirkut and JMIKE. She played the track for Lil' Wayne first and Drake decided to jump on the single after a trip to the club.
6. Nicki mentions Janet Jackson when discussing motherhood as a celebrity and wonders if women feel guilty putting their career over their families and never having children.
7. On her relationship with Safaree: "I want someone to appreciate how hard and how much I work," and talks entitlement, earlier years in love, and heartbreak that makes her emotional.
8. The Head Barb in Charge says her ride-or-die moment with Safaree was when they up and left for Atlanta before she signed with Young Money.
9. Who did Nicki call her mom/manager when in the A? Deb Antney, also known as Waka Flocka's mother.
10. Nicki Minaj admitted Deb Antney didn't want her to sign with YM.
11. Minaj says while artists fight to put their albums out, she fought not to have Pink Friday released due to fear.
12. She also admits that she didn't care about where it placed on the charts.
13. When recording "Monster" for Kanye West's, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Nicki says 'Ye pushed her to do better after not approving of her first verse.
14. Elliott Wilson calls Nicki's "characters" too experimental during her Roman Reloaded days and Nicki fires back and talks Kendrick Lamar. "Everyone can't do voices and animation."
15. Swizz Beatz created "Roman's Revenge" in front of Nicki, just as she was getting ready to leave the studio.
16. You'll never guess who Nicki Minaj says inspires her. Anyone guessed Young Thug and Rae Sremmurd?
17. Nicki says The Pinkprint is about showing what the hip-hop culture should be about. Her key word: skill.
18. On The Pinkprint: "Don't dispute my skill and don't ever forget me."
19. On Beyoncé and collaborations: Nicki's only goal as a feature on someone's track is to impress the artist, "thanks for thinking of me."
Photo Credit: Getty Images/WatchLOUD.com