Funkmaster Flex and Jay Z Funkmaster Flex and Jay Z

No Caps Zone? Funkmaster Flex Goes In On Jay Z… Again

Funkmaster Flex is not looking to mend fences with Jay Z. The HOT 97 DJ made this quite clear last night (Jan. 17) when he went on yet another rant about Mr. Carter. Following his initial blast of the rap mogul and his Life + Times website – where he called the site “trash” – Flex claims to have received a text message reading “This is HOV.” Taking back to the airwaves, signature “bomb” sound effect in tow, Flex was not too pleased with Jay’s use of capital letters. “Even though I have this respect, I have such respect, I’m gonna let somebody try and ‘handle’ me. And I’ma tell you why,” he said.” For the simple fact, in 2015 bro, I don’t do the caps in the text. I don’t work for you, I’m not a worker. I want you to understand what my opinion of this is: in 2015, you are a commercial, corporate rapper that drops a little catch phrase every three months.” Accusing Jay Z of “manipulation,” and calling the rapper “the don of his bubble,” Flex also made a point to speak for the entire HOT 97 radio station. “We not scared of you,” he said. “This radio station doesn’t need you, or care. Actually, the whole company doesn’t need you. You can’t call the bosses like you do other things.” SEE ALSO: Rocks At The Throne: A Comprehensive List Of Jay Z Disses Flex also ensured Jay Z that if the rapper plans to address him with a subliminal verse, the radio rants would continue. Listen to Flex’s full rant above and peep the text Jay Z allegedly sent Funkmaster Flex below:

From the Web

More on Vibe

David Livingston/Getty Images

Naya Rivera’s Cause Of Death Confirmed, Family Speaks Out

The Ventura County Medical Examiner’s Office completed an autopsy on Naya Rivera confirming her cause of death was an accidental drowning. “The autopsy findings are consistent with a drowning and the condition of the body is consistent with the time that she was submerged,” the coroner said on Tuesday (July 14).

There were no traumatic injuries or disease processes found during the autopsy and “no indication that drugs or alcohol played a role” in her tragic death. Rivera, 33, drowned after taking her 4-year-old son, Josey, out on a boat last week.

According to authorities, the doting mother and her son were out for a swim at Southern California's Lake Piru, when things turned fatal. In her final moments, Rivera mustered up the strength to boost her son back onto the boat but was ultimately unable to swim to safety. At least 9 people have drowned at Lake Piru since 1994.

Rivera's grieving family released a statement thanking authorities for recovering her remains, as well as the Glee star's fans, friends and colleagues for their support. “We are so grateful for the outpouring of love and prayers for Naya, Josey and our family over the past week,” the family said.  “While we grieve the loss of our beautiful legend, we are blessed to honor her everlasting legacy and magnetic spirit. Naya was an amazing talent, but was an even greater person, mother, daughter and sister.

“Thank you to the men and women of the Ventura, Tulare, and San Louis Obispo County Sheriff’s Departments for you commitment and unwavering effort to find Naya. We extend endless gratitude and ovation to the heroine who found her. Thank you to her fiends, colleagues, and fans for your continued support.

“Heaven gained our sassy angel. We kindly request that our privacy be respected during this very difficult time.”

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Nick Cannon Dropped By ViacomCBS, Accused Of Promoting “Hateful Speech”

ViacomCBS has parted ways with Nick Cannon amid backlash over a podcast interview where he talked about the “power of melanated people,” and called White people “true savages.”

Cannon, who referenced Min. Louis Farrakhan and referred to Black people as the “true Hebrews,” was called anti-semitic after a clip of the podcast interview with Public Enemy's Professor Griff circulated the web on Tuesday (July 14).

Nick Cannon’s Comments About Race & White People Garners Mixed Reactions. pic.twitter.com/KPvFlNKld6

— theJasmineBRAND (@thejasminebrand) July 14, 2020

“ViacomCBS condemns bigotry of any kind and we categorically denounce all forms of anti-Semitism. We have spoken with Nick Cannon about an episode of his podcast 'Cannon’s Class' on YouTube, which promoted hateful speech and spread anti-Semitic conspiracy theories,”  the company said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

“While we support ongoing education and dialogue in the fight against bigotry, we are deeply troubled that Nick has failed to acknowledge or apologize for perpetuating anti-Semitism, and we are terminating our relationship with him.”

In a lengthy follow-up statement posted on his social media accounts, Cannon denounced hate speech. “Anyone who knows me knows that I have no hate in my heart or malice intentions. I do not condone hate speech nor the spread of hateful rhetoric,” he wrote. “We are living in a time when it is more important than ever to promote understanding.”

Cannon added that the Black and Jewish communities have both faced oppression, prejudice, and persecution for ”thousands of years,” and continue to work to “overcome these obstacles.” He went on to state that “African Americans and The people of the Jewish community” have collaborated on “some of the best, most revolutionary work we know today.”

The radio personality said that he advocates for “people's voice to be heard openly fairly and candidly,” and encouraged continued education in “today’s conversations about anti-racism and social justice.” He also welcomed experts, clergymen, and others to hold him accountable and correct any of his statements that have been “projected as negative.”

In the meantime, Cannon said that he's holding himself accountable and takes “full responsibility” for his words. “Because MY intentions are to only show that as a beautiful human species we have way more commonalities than differences.”

Check below for Cannon's full statement, and podcast episode.

Continue Reading
Michael Tran/FilmMagic

Zindzi Mandela, Nelson Mandela’s Daughter, Dies At 59

Zindzi Mandela, daughter of Nelson and Winnie Mandela, has died. She was 59.

The activist and former ambassador passed away at a hospital in Johannesburg on Monday (July 13). Her cause of death has not be released.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa sent condolences to the Mandela family, and noted the unfortunate timing of her passing. “Our sadness is compounded by this loss being visited upon us just days before the world marks the birthday of the great Nelson Mandela,” said Ramaphosa.

I offer my deep condolences to the Mandela family as we mourn the passing of a fearless political activist who was a leader in her own right. Our sadness is compounded by this loss being visited upon us just days before the world marks the birthday of the great Nelson Mandela. pic.twitter.com/RC0YQ6VEvf

— Cyril Ramaphosa 🇿🇦 #StaySafe (@CyrilRamaphosa) July 13, 2020

The second of Winnie and Nelson’s two children, Zindzi was born on Dec. 23, 1960, in Sowetto, South Africa. She was 18 months old when her father was imprisoned by the South African government.

In 1985, Zindzi caught international attention after she read her father’s rejection of former South African President PW Botha’s offer for a conditional prison release. The anti-apartheid leader was freed from prison in 1990, and was elected as South Africa’s first Black president in 1994.

During her father’s imprisonment, Zindzi became a published author, and earned a law degree from the University of Capetown. Only two of Nelson Mandela’s six children remain alive.

“Zindzi will not only be remembered as a daughter of our struggle heroes, Tata Nelson and Mama Winnie Mandela, but as a struggle heroine in her own right. She served South Africa well,” South Africa’s foreign affairs minister Naledi Pandor said in a statement.

Zindzi had been an ambassador to Demark since 2015. She is survived by her husband, Molapo Motlhajwa, and four children.

Continue Reading

Top Stories