J.Cole and Kendrick Lamar
NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 28: Rappers J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar perform at Madison Square Garden on January 28, 2014 in New York City. (Photo by Taylor Hill/Getty Images)

J. Cole Believes Kendrick Lamar Can Help End Gang Violence In L.A.

J. Cole gives Kendrick Lamar's music the ultimate cosign.

On the heels of the release of his “G.O.M.D.” visuals, J. Cole chopped it up wit Saint Heron about the inspiration behind his latest offering. Revealing that the slave-inspired narrative was an idea two years in the making, the rapper shared that the idea was originally intended for a Born Sinner track.

“You know, honestly, it’s a video idea I had on my last album for a song called ‘Chaining Day.’ I always wanted to do that video,” he said. “I had that video idea in my head for like two years or so, and like, I always wanted to make that statement, because it comments on so much. So the video idea was honestly already there before the song was ever made.”

SEE ALSO: Judging By His ‘G.O.M.D.’ Video, J.Cole Would’ve Been A Rebellious Slave

Citing the “G.O.M.D.” video as “commentary on the need for unity and togetherness,” Cole also shared that the slave storyline was inspired by August Wilson’s play The Piano Lesson, from which he lifted the track’s opening sample. The Dreamville chief offered discussed the video’s correlation between Kendrick Lamar’s content on To Pimp A Butterfly, a theme he shared he had discussed with his rap cohort.

“We do have conversations when we get together about the same shit that we’re talking about and rapping about. Everything that I’m revealing on my album, I was telling him. Like, ‘Yo this is what I figured out. I see this shit like this. I might not even be doing this shit no more because I see this,’” he said. “You know, I’m telling him all this. Even with his album, I haven’t been able to dive all the way in his joint, but I know that there’s a moment where he’s calling for unity no matter the gang color.”

SEE ALSO: SXSW 2015: J. Cole’s Dreamville Show Is What Dreams Are Made Of

Giving K. Dot the ultimate cosign, J. Cole also professed his belief that the Compton MC could help end gang violence in L.A. through his music.

“I’m just explaining to him, like yo, I feel like you can do it. You have the respect of that neighborhood and L.A. on another level. If anybody can come through and put an end to this shit, it gotta be you,” he said. “The thing is, music is powerful, but I don’t know how powerful it is. I don’t know what it can actually do, but I respect him for speaking on it. That nigga’s an amazing artist from top to bottom.”

Read J. Cole’s full interview with Saint Heron here.

From the Web

More on Vibe

John Lamparski

Diddy Settles Sexual Harassment Lawsuit With Former Chef

Diddy has reportedly reached a settlement with his former personal chef in a sexual misconduct lawsuit that was filed in 2017, NBC Los Angeles reports.

The settlement stems from a lawsuit Cindy Rueda filed nearly two years ago. Rueda was reportedly Diddy's personal chef from Apr. 2015 to May 2016. She accused the Bad Boy mogul of sexual harassment and unfair wages. She claimed that she never received additional pay for extra work hours during her time of employment.

Additionally, she alleged that Diddy requested that Rueda serve breakfast to him and a guest in his bedroom. During those incidents, she said she was forced to see "Mr. Combs and his guest indisposed and engaged in sexual activity." Upon entering, she alleged that he would then yell and curse at her.

In Aug. 2017, a Los Angeles Superior Court Judge sent Rueda's case to mediation outside of the court due to the terms of an agreement she previously signed as an employee for Diddy.

The terms or value of the settlement has not been disclosed at this time.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Jussie Smollett Facing Felony Charge For Filing False Report

Update: 8:00 pm ET (Feb. 20, 2019) - Jussie Smollett has reportedly been charged with a class 4 felony charge for filing a false police report, according to The New York Times. If convicted, he faces up to three years in prison.

Original story below...

Jussie Smollett is officially a suspect in the alleged attack that occurred in Chicago earlier this year. Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi  announced the news on Twitter on Wednesday (Feb. 20).

“Jussie Smollett is now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation by #ChicagoPolice for filing a false police report (Class 4 felony),” Guglielmi tweeted.

Case Update: Jussie Smollett is now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation by #ChicagoPolice for filing a false police report (Class 4 felony). Detectives are currently presenting evidence before a Cook County Grand Jury. pic.twitter.com/FhDcbBKsuU

— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) February 20, 2019

Felony criminal charges have been approved by @CookCountySAO against Jussie Smollett for Disorderly Conduct / Filing a False Police Report. Detectives will make contact with his legal team to negotiate a reasonable surrender for his arrest. pic.twitter.com/LvBSYE2kVj

— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) February 21, 2019

The announcement comes only moments after video surfaced of the two brother purchasing ski masks, gloves, and other supplies in a local store. The Osundairo brothers were allegedly hired by Smollett to act out the attack.

Smollett has adamantly denied accusations that he staged the attack. His family, Fox, and many other celebrity friends also released statements defending him. On Wednesday evening (Feb. 20), Smollett's legal team (Todd Pugh and Victor Henderson) issued the following statement:

“Like any other citizen, Mr. Smollett enjoys the presumption of innocence, particularly when there has been an investigation like this one where information, both true and false, has been repeatedly leaked. Given these circumstances, we intend to conduct a thorough investigation and to mount an aggressive defense."

Story developing... 

Continue Reading
Dominik Bindi

Video Surfaces Of Osundairo Brothers Buying Supplies For Jussie Smollett Attack

A new video of the Osundairo brothers, the two who alleged Jussie Smollett hired them to stage an attack in Chicago earlier this year, has surfaced online. The video shows Ola and Abel Osundairo purchasing supplies that were allegedly used in the attack.

The video, which was obtained by CBS, shows the two brothers stepping up to the cashier's counter to buy ski masks, gloves, bandanas, sunglasses, and red hats that resembled MAGA hats. At one point in the video, Abel pulls his hood over his head, perhaps in an attempt to avoid showing his face on surveillance cameras.

EXCLUSIVE:

I tracked down surveillance of the Osundairo's buying supplies before "attack"

Sources say Jussie Smollet told brothers what to buy.

Countless phone calls placed for this.

Visited more stores than I wish to admit. @cbschicago https://t.co/GT6h2g6Y9a pic.twitter.com/ULr3UTDe9Q

— Charlie De Mar (@CharlieDeMar) February 20, 2019

CBS2 reports that the brothers bought the suspected supplies the day before the "attack" on Jussie. While previous videos obtained by the Chicago PD suggest the attackers were wearing ski masks at the time, the new footage does not confirm that Smollett orchestrated the attack.

The Empire actor has reportedly agreed to sit down with the police for another interview. Check out the new video below.

Continue Reading

Top Stories