Obama appears on Jimmy Kimmel March 12
JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE - Emmy Award-nominated "Jimmy Kimmel Live" airs every weeknight (11:35 p.m. - 12:41 a.m., ET), packed with hilarious comedy bits and features a diverse lineup of guests including celebrities, athletes, musicians, comedians and humorous human interest subjects. The guests for THURSDAY, MARCH 12 included the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama, along with Sean Penn ("The Gunman"). (ABC/Randy Holmes) PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA, JIMMY KIMMEL

Watch: President Obama Discusses Race Relations And Reads 'Mean Tweets' On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'

President Barack Obama returned to Jimmy Kimmel Live! on Thursday (Mar. 12), to discuss a myriad of topics from his daily activities in the White House to the recent shooting of two officers in Ferguson, Mo.

SEE ALSO: President Obama Delivers Historic Speech On Selma 50th Anniversary

Mr. Obama said the protests that have traveled the nation are necessary given the injustice that's plagued certain communities, but violent acts should be condemned. Read an excerpt of his statement below:

What was beautiful about Selma was reminding ourselves that real social change in this country so often has happened because ordinary people are willing in a non-violent fashion to make their voices heard. What had been happening in Ferguson was oppressive and objectionable and was worthy of protest, but there was no excuse for criminal acts. Whoever fired those shots shouldn't detract from the issue. They're criminals, they should be arrested and then what we need to do is make sure that like-minded, good spirited people on both sides, law enforcement who have a terrifically tough job, and people who understandably don't want to be stopped and harassed just because of their race that we're able to work together to try to come up with some good answers.

I think I put together a task force after the original Ferguson event had taken place that had police officers, police chiefs and some of the organizers of protests both in Ferguson and in New York, young people. They came up with some terrific recommendations and found that there's a lot of common ground, and what we have to make sure of is that the folks who disregard and disrespect the other side, people who resort to violence that they're marginalized, but they're not the majority.

In the same way that you can't generalize about police officers who do an extraordinarily tough job, overwhemingly they do it professionally, you can't generalize about protestors who it turns out had some very legitimate grievances. The Justice Department reports showed that they were being stopped, African Americans were being stopped disproportionately, mainly so the city could raise money even though these were unjust.

What was happening in Ferguson was you had city government telling the police department that stop more people, we need to raise more money. Folks would get stop, they would get tickets then they'd have to wait in line to pay it, take a day off work, folks would lose their jobs. In some cases they were thrown in jail because they didn't have enough money for fines. And then they'd get fined for that. There was a whole structure there, according to the Justice Department report, that indicated both racism and just a disregard for what law enforcement is supposed to do.

Before, I said this at Selma, it is not unique, but it's also not the norm. We've got to constantly when we're thinking about issues of racial progress, or any kind of issue, recognize that things will get better, but there's still more work to do and we shouldn't be complacent about the very real existence of problems out there, but we shouldn't despair and think nothing has changed. If people are goodwill, which is the overwhelming majority of Americans who are working together, this is a problem we can solve.

SEE ALSO: Barack Obama Talks Race, Ferguson And His Legacy With Journalists Aboard Air Force One

The commander-in-chief later lightened the interview by participating in the show's staple segment titled mean tweets. "How do you make Obama's eyes light up? Shine a flashlight in his ears," the 53-year-old read before he let out a little chuckle.

Check out clips of his appearance below.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

From the Web

More on Vibe

Kevin Winter

Donnie McClurkin Sent To Hospital Following Car Accident

Gospel legend Donnie McClurkin couldn't be more grateful after surviving a car accident this past Wednesday (Dec. 12).

The "We Fall Down" singer was driving on the road in the earlier part of the day when he passed out and began weaving into traffic. He reportedly struck the middle concrete island.

Following the incident, he posted a selfie of him on the hospital bed in scrubs on Facebook. Along with the photo, he explained that he woke up from the accident with stitches on his left thumb, on top of having a sprained wrist, and hurt knee. His car was also completely totaled.

"I AM ALIVE!!!! Somewhat mangled, stitches on left thumb, sprained wrist, hurt knee, but I’m still here! God and two angels saved my life!," the Grammy-winning artist wrote.

He also mentioned that two "angels" pulled him out the car to safety and medical attention. "I owe them...I am still here by the grace of God! Thank you, Lord...thank you!" he added.

On Friday (Dec. 14), McClurkin posted to his Facebook page again, sharing several photos of his destroyed car. "This is the totaled car that two angels rescued me from ....after passing out while driving I don’t remember most of what happened a day and a half ago...but God," he wrote. "I overrode doctors and sisters advice and flew to KENYA today for ministry Saturday @ TWO RIVERS. and home on this Sunday to celebrate life."

In happier news, McClurkin also took time to plug in his new Christmas single titled "My Favorite Things." Check out McClurkin's posts on social media and stream his new song below.

READ MORE: Big K.R.I.T. Drops Surprise Gospel-Influenced 'Thrice X' EP

Continue Reading
Douglas Grundy

Nicki Minaj's Boyfriend Kenneth Petty Received 18 Violations During Prison Stint

Nicki Minaj's new boyfriend, Kenneth Petty has a very troubled past.

On Friday (Dec. 14), TMZ revealed court documents disclosing Petty's history of disciplinary actions while he was an inmate in New York for manslaughter from 2006 to 2013.

When he entered the correctional facility, he was reportedly written up for creating a disturbance. Later during his stint, he was hit with a slew of disciplinary actions following a series of violent actions that included fighting, making terroristic threats, and "disobeying a direct order."

In 2009, prison faculty placed him in solitary confinement for four months as part of being reprimanded for nine different violations. Petty lost privileges that included the usage of the inmate telephone service, recreational activity, and the prison canteen.

In addition to his prison violations, Petty is a convicted sex offender. At the age of 16, he was tried as an adult served a four-year sentence for attempted rape of a minor.

Petty, who hails from the same borough as Nicki, Queens, knew the platinum-selling rap star since she was a teenager. They dated for a short period years prior to reuniting.

Minaj posted various photos of her and Petty going on a vacation getaway earlier this month. Sources close to Minaj told the celebrity gossip website that the 36-year-old hip-hop artist is  "happier than she's been in years" with Petty.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Barbie® (@nickiminaj) on Dec 10, 2018 at 12:43pm PST

READ MORE: Nicki Minaj Plans To Sue 'Daily Mail' TV Host Jesse Palmer

Continue Reading
John Moore

Sandy Hook Elementary Evacuates After Bomb Threat On 6th Anniversary Of Mass Shooting

Sandy Hook Elementary School was reportedly forced to evacuate its students and administration on Friday (Dec. 14), after receiving a bomb threat, CNN reports. The incident occurred on the sixth anniversary of the school's tragic mass shooting.

Newtown, Connecticut Police Lt. Aaron Bahamonde stated that the threat didn't appear to be substantial, but they decided to  evacuate the facility as an extra precaution.

Bomb squads reportedly swept the school and surrounding area for explosive devices but did not discover anything on the property. They later concluded that there was no immediate threat. The school administration dismissed students and faculty for the rest of the day however, considering the previous incident.

As previously noted, Sandy Hook endured a horrific mass shooting on Dec. 14, 2012, in which 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot and killed 20 children between six and seven years old, as well as six adult, staff members.

Earlier this month, thousands of documents were released about Lanza that revealed his mental state and social status in the years leading up to the shooting.

The shooting is not believed to be in connection to the recent string of bomb scares around the nation that targeted major politicians including the former first families Barack and Michelle Obama and Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Continue Reading

Top Stories