What Now? 21 Questions We Have About TIDAL's Streaming Service
Okay, Jay Z's TIDAL streaming service has a ownership squad... now what?
Jay Z’s TIDAL streaming service just became larger than life, but will it live up to the hype? During a press conference in New York City this afternoon (Mar. 30), the ante was upped when the company announced an all-star troupe of co-owners: Alicia Keys, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Kanye West, J. Cole, Nicki Minaj,Usher, Jason Aldean, Chris Martin, Daft Punk, Calvin Harris, Madonna, Deadmau5, Win Butler and Régine Chassagne?, and Jack White. Featuring a dramatic signing of their “declaration” contract, the conference introduced TIDAL as a innovative streaming service controlled by artists.
TIDAL will partner up with Sprint as the first cellular network to work with the service. They will also offer an offline streaming experience. And while a $19.99 Hi-Fi plan was the only one initially available for consumers, a new premium plan for $9.99 is now an option. With Alicia Keys delivering an address on behalf of the (very notable) squad, there are still questions that loom regarding their new joint venture.
After peeping the huge TIDAL announcement, here are 21 questions we have:
- Will all of these artists pull their music from Spotify?
- How much did each owner invest? Are profits split evenly?
- “High fidelity sound” and “expertly curated editorial” come with the more expensive plan, but what does that really mean?
- How long has this been in the works?
- Did anyone else catch that awkward handshake between Madonna and Deadmau5?
- Will this also help independent artists?
- Why did Madonna hump that table?
- How proud are we of J. Cole?
- Was that a play off of The Declaration of Independence? If so, who’s Thomas Jefferson?
- Will there be a theme song or collaborative album between the owners?
- So… What does this mean for iTunes?
- Where's Taylor Swift? Pharrell? Justin Timberlake?
- Was Beyonce scheduled to perform, or nah?
- Did Alicia Keys memorize her a speech (her TelePrompTer was in the back of her head)?
- Will there be any philanthropy attached to this?
- Who was at this presentation? And why weren't we all invited?
- Will only a certain selection of songs be available without an Internet connection?
- Is TIDAL hiring, though?
- Why so expensive?
- Will Spotify be a thing of the past?
- Are you convinced?