Preview: Roc Nation Sports Hosts Miguel Cotto Vs. Daniel Geale In Brooklyn

Brush up on your knowledge of Miguel Cotto and Daniel Geale before they go head-to-head this Saturday (Jun. 6).

The borough of Brooklyn will be rocking and rolling on Saturday (Jun. 6) as Roc Nation Sports plays host to the WBC Middleweight Championship bout between Miguel Cotto and Daniel Geale at Barclays Center.

At 39-4 and 32 KOs, Cotto will defend his WBC Middleweight Championship for the first time since defeating Sergio Martinez last June. Cotto is favored – 700 to win the whole she-bang according to online sportsbook TopBet. During his 14-year boxing career, Cotto’s been battle-tested, facing boxing pillars like Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather. The 34-year-old has also invested in his future after recently inking a multi-year managerial and branding contract with Jay-Z’s Roc Nation Sports agency in January. He has assured that he is ready for the main event this weekend in Brooklyn.

“Daniel Geale is the next chapter in my career,” Cotto told the New York Post. “After I get through him, I can talk about what comes next.”

SEE ALSO: BET Steps Into The Boxing Ring With Roc Nation Signee Andre Ward In Tow

At 31-3 with 16 KOs, Geale is no slouch. The Aussie fighter is both the former WBA and IBF middleweight champion. Known for his tactical precision, “The Real Deal” turned pro in 2004, knocking out Danny Bellert in the third round of their matchup. He won his last fight on December 3, 2014 against Jarrod Fletcher. Geale asserts that he is also ready.

"I just have to fight the way I know how to fight best, and that is to use my boxing skills, my footwork, my movement and the things I've seen that give Miguel Cotto trouble," told Newsday. "If I stick to my guns and don't do anything stupid like try to knock him out, I'm in with a great chance.

Emceed by Power 105’s Angie Martinez, as well as DJ Lobo, Saturday’s Roc Nation event promises to offer a good fan experience during the week of the 2015 National Puerto Rican Day Parade. Grammy-nominated Big Sean, a Roc Nation-managed artist, will also perform prior to the 12-round event that will broadcast live on HBO.

Brandon Robinson is a sports and entertainment writer and TV personality. Follow him on Twitter @SCOOPB and visit www.SCOOPB.com.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

LeBron James Announced As A&R Of 2 Chainz's 'Rap Or Go To The League' Album

When he's not on the court, LeBron James spends his time posting videos of him vibing out to some of rap's most recent singles. Now, he's taking his ear for standout cuts a step further by becoming the A&R for 2 Chainz's forthcoming album.

On Mar. 1, the Atlanta native's Rap Or Go To The League project will hit streaming services and music store shelves after being teased for some time. "It's been quite the journey to get here," the "Spend It" rapper wrote on Twitter Tuesday afternoon (Feb. 19). "All night studio sessions, reflecting, & opening up on these records or as I call it therapy! This is my each one teach one body of work, I wanna celebrate black excellence!"

An Apple Music documentary will also accompany the album's debut. In a 60-second teaser, viewers witness Chainz and James in the studio discussing the possibility of a deluxe album and selecting guest artists for features. Rap Or Go To The League is Chainz's fifth studio album, what's being described as "his most personal, most lyrical, most soulful to date."

The soundscape arrives after Chainz released two EPs last year: The Play Don't Care Who Makes It and Hot Wings Are A Girl's Best Friend.

It’s been quite the journey to get here. All night studio sessions, reflecting, & opening up on these records or as I call it therapy! This is my each one teach one body of work, I wanna celebrate black excellence! ..... “Rap Or Go To The League” the album A&R by @KingJames 3/1 pic.twitter.com/08Y2fYKJ6X

— Tity Boi (2 Chainz) (@2chainz) February 19, 2019

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Colin Kaepernick, Eric Reid Reach Confidential Settlement With NFL In Collusion Case

Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid have reached a confidential settlement with the league Friday (Feb. 15). The agreement brings an end to their collusion lawsuit against the NFL more than a year after the legal bout began.

According to Yahoo Sports, the Kaepernick and Reid would only agreed to settle for a “lucrative financial agreement.” No other details about the terms of the settlement were released.

Kaepernick and Reid filed sued the NFL for collusion in October 2017. The league denied the allegations, but failed in their attempt to have the suit dismissed.

Attorneys Mark Geragos and Ben Meiselas said in a statement that Kaepernick and Reid have engaged in an “ongoing dialogue” with the NFL for the past “several months.”

“As a result of those discussions, the parties have decided to resolve the pending grievances,” the statement explains. “The resolution of this matter is subject to confidentiality agreement so there will be no further comment by any party.”

The NFL Players Association released a statement of support. “We are not privy to the details of the settlement, but support the decision by the players and their counsel,” the statement reads.

“We continuously supported Colin and Eric from the start of their protests, participated with their lawyers throughout their legal proceedings and were prepared to participate in the upcoming trial in pursuit of both truth and justice for what we believe the NFL and its clubs did to them. We are glad that Eric has earned a job and a new contract, and we continue to hope that Colin gets his opportunity as well.”

Jerry Jones, Bob McNair, Robert Craft and several other NFL owners and players were deposed in the case. Reid was recently signed to the Carolina Panthers. Kaepernick remains unsigned.

pic.twitter.com/5sdcGSuwvW

— Mark Geragos (@markgeragos) February 15, 2019

Continue Reading
Paul Marotta

Wisconsin Republicans Scrap Colin Kaepernick's Name From Black History Month Celebration

Republican officials in Wisconsin have reportedly scrapped  Colin Kaepernick's name from the state's annual Black History Month celebration, CBS reports.

The Wisconsin Legislature's Black Caucus, which is composed of Democrats, reportedly drafted their annual resolution to honor dozens of African-Americans from Wisconsin who have made tremendous contributions to the state and history. An early draft included the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback. The resolution credited Kaepernick, who is a Milwaukee native, an an athlete and political activist who "has sought to raise attention to racial injustice and systemic oppression." The Republicans reportedly refused to sign off on the resolution until the Black Caucus agreed to remove Kaepernick's name.

The GOP suggested they would not endorse the inclusion of Kaepernick's name on the resolution due to his controversial protest during the national anthem. Democratic Rep. David Crowley, the resolution's author, called the move a "slap in the face" and a "textbook example of white privilege."

This isn't the first time Wisconsin's lawmakers have attempted to pass on controversial names in the Black History Month resolution. Just last year, the GOP attempted to discard of prominent black leaders like Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke, who has been vocal about his support of the Black Lives Matter movement, according to the  Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. 

The final version does not include the former NFL star's name, but has not been approved yet.

Continue Reading

Top Stories