Team-Africa-NBA Team-Africa-NBA
Photo Credit: Facebook/NBA

The NBA Brings Their Top Players To Host First Game In Africa

Top NBA players will head to South Africa to play the first NBA game on the continent to benefit African charity organizations. Luol Deng, Marc and Pau Gasol and Chris Paul will go head-to-head in Team Africa vs. Team World.

The NBA is changing the game overseas. The Association's top players will head to South Africa to play the first NBA game on the continent to benefit African charity organizations. Five-time NBA champion Gregg Popovich and Brooklyn Nets Coach Lionel Hollins have formed two teams with Miami Heat player Luol Deng and Los Angeles Clipper Chris Paul as captains.

"I look forward to representing Team World in the first NBA game in Africa. It will be my first visit to the continent, and I cannot wait to contribute to the growth of the game on and off the court,” Paul said.

READ: NBA Draft 2015 Recap: The Good, The Bad And The SMH

Today, thirty NBA teams house players from all over the world, raking in 101 international players this past season. This only represents a small portion of the organization's efforts towards global involvement. The NBA held games and created programs in 215 countries and territories. In 2001, the organization paired up with FIBA to create global program Basketball Without Borders, camps that allow kids to be coached by NBA and WNBA players and drafted to professional teams. Since 2005, the NBA Cares program tackles social issues by providing resources to children and families worldwide. In 2010, Johannesburg, South Africa became home to an NBA global office with staff working towards their causes.

In two weeks, the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association will advance its initiatives in Africa and support Boys & Girls Clubs of South Africa, SOS Children's Villages Association of South Africa and the Nelson Mandela Foundation. Taking place in Johannesburg, Basketball Without Borders Africa will hosts its 13th edition. NBA Cares and the National Basketball Players Association run programs with the help of Hoops 4 Hope, South African Airways, and NIKE. NBA players and coaches will build a basketball court, renovate a library and conduct seminars throughout the week. The festivities end with a sold-out game with NBA players going head-to-head in Team Africa vs. Team World at Ellis Park Arena.

"Coming from South Sudan and having participated in the Basketball without Borders Africa camps in Johannesburg previously, I am truly honored to be part of this historic event," Deng said.

READ: NBA Draft 2015 Spotlights A Stylish Bunch

Team Africa consists of some the 35 African players the NBA has drafted since 1984 and players of one or more African parents. Players from the rest of the globe form Team World. The NBA announced the roster on Thursday (July 16). Check them out below.

Team Africa Roster
Luol Deng (Miami Heat; born in South Sudan), Al-Farouq Aminu (Portland Trail Blazers; both parents from Nigeria), Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks; both parents from Nigeria), Nicolas Batum (Charlotte Hornets; parent from Cameroon), Bismack Biyombo (Toronto Raptors; Democratic Republic of the Congo), Boris Diaw (San Antonio Spurs; one parent from Senegal), Gorgui Dieng (Minnesota Timberwolves; Senegal), Festus Ezeli (Golden State Warriors; Nigeria), and Luc Mbah a Moute (Sacramento Kings; Cameroon).
Serge Ibaka (Oklahoma City Thunder; Congo) is injured.

Team World Roster
Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers; U.S.), Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards; U.S.), Kenneth Faried(Denver Nuggets; U.S.), Marc Gasol (Memphis Grizzlies; Spain), Pau Gasol(Chicago Bulls; Spain), Jeff Green (Memphis Grizzlies; U.S.), Marcus Smart(Boston Celtics; U.S.), Evan Turner (Boston Celtics; U.S.) and Nikola Vucevic(Orlando Magic; Montenegro).

Tune into ESPN on Aug. 1 at 9 a.m EST or Africa’s SuperSport at 3:00 p.m. CAT to watch.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Sean Rayford/Getty Image

Man Who Recorded Murder Of Ahmaud Arbery Arrested

A third man has been arrested in the murder of Ahmaud Arbery. William “Roddie” Bryan Jr., who recorded Arbery’s murder, was taken into custody on Thursday (May 21), the Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced.

“The family is extremely relieved,” attorney S. Lee Merritt, who represents Arbery’s mother, said in response to Bryan’s arrest. “We didn’t know if this was going to happen, but we all knew that it should happen.”

Arbery was killed on Feb. 23, while out for a jog. It wasn't until two months later that his story went viral prompting an investigation by the GBI after the local D.A., who was previously over the case, declined to make any arrests.

According to jail records, 50-year-old Bryan was booked into the Glynn County Jail on charges of felony murder and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment. Bryan made his first court appearance on Friday (May 22) where his lawyer filed a motion for a speedy trial.

Bryan accompanied father and son, Gregory McMichael, 64 and Travis McMichael, 34, as they followed and cornered 25-year-old Arbery before the younger McMichael shot him to death. The McMichaels claim the shooting was self-defense.

Father and son were arrested for aggravated assault and felony murder earlier in the month. All three men are being held at the same jail.

The mugshots of Gregory and Travis McMichael, who have been charged with the murder of Ahmaud Arbery. pic.twitter.com/O0M6vPMs1Q

— Yamiche Alcindor (@Yamiche) May 8, 2020

Merrit noted that Arbery's family hopes the men will be convicted. “Well obviously we want to see the arrests lead to a formal indictment then a vigorous prosecution and conviction. But there are other people we believe were involved. We spoke with the DOJ earlier today about their investigation into the corruption that delayed these arrests in the first place.”

An attorney for the elder McMichael claimed that the pair are victims of a  “narrative driven by an incomplete set of facts.”

“While the death of Ahmaud Arbery is a tragedy, causing deep grief to his family -- a tragedy that at first appears to many to fit into a terrible pattern in American life -- this case does not fit that pattern,” attorney Frank Hogue said. “The full story, to be revealed in time, will tell the truth about this case.”

The murder remains under investigation by GBI in partnership with the District Attorney Joyette Holmes of the Cobb County District Attorney’s Office.

See more on Bryan's arrest in the video below.

Continue Reading
Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images

Quavo Talks Earning His High School Diploma At 29

Quavo officially belongs to the class of 2020. The 29-year-old Migos rapper announced that he graduated from high school on Friday (May 22).

“Finally can say I graduated high school class of 2020,” Quavo captioned an Instagram post of himself sporting a blue cap and gown.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Finally Can Say I Graduated High School Class Of 2020 We Lit 🔥 Now What College Should I Go To? 🧐 And To Celebrate We Gonna Drop SMASH TONIGHT 🔥🌊 BERKMAR HIGH NAWFSIDE BABY

A post shared by QuavoHuncho (@quavohuncho) on May 21, 2020 at 4:26pm PDT

Now that he's a high school graduate, the Georgia native is considering attending college, as he shared in an interview with Lil Wayne’s Young Money Radio alongside Migos members, Takeoff and Offset. During the talk with Tunechi, Quavo expounded on his decision to get his diploma.

“I was doing stuff for the community and schools… always involved and just me being considered like a dropout you’re not really like an alumni,” he said before explaining that one of his former high school teachers is now a principal and encouraged him to get a diploma. “He hit me up like 'you should go back and get it.' I went back and got it.”

Quavo added that Weezy was, “definitely one of my inspirations for going back to school.”

The rapper, whose birth name is, Quavious Keyate Marshall, attended Lilburn’s Berkmar High School, where he was the starting quarterback for the 2009 season. Quavo dropped out of high school in his senior year.

Peep the Migos’ Young Money interview below.

Continue Reading
Doug Pensinger

Disney World Could Help Revive What’s Left Of NBA Season

The 2020 NBA season could be headed for a revival. The league is in talks with Disney World to potentially restart what's left of the 2019-2020 season this summer, the NBA confirmed on Saturday (May 23).

“The NBA, in conjunction with the National Basketball Players Association, is engaged in exploratory conversations with The Walt Disney Company about restarting the 2019-20 NBA season in late July at Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida as a single site for an NBA campus for games, practices and housing,” NBA Chief Communications Officer Mike Bass said in a statement.

“Our priority continues to be the health and safety of all involved, and we are working with public health experts and government officials on a comprehensive set of guidelines to ensure that appropriate medical protocols and protections are in place.”

The NBA was forced into cancellation amid the COVID-19 outbreak, specifically after Utah Jazz player, Rudy Gobert, contracted coronavirus and exposed several other plays to the disease, including teammate Donavan Mitchell.

Since then, several former and current NBA players have tested positive for COVID-19, the most recent being basketball great Patrick Ewing.

“This virus is serious and should not be taken lightly,” Ewing said upon announcing his health diagnosis over the weekend. “I want to encourage everyone to stay safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones.”

Continue Reading

Top Stories